* Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-01 13:42 Gary
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary @ 2010-11-01 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there any way to sort the columns of a table, such that for example

| Col 3 | Col 1 | Col 2 |

can be converted to

| Col 1 | Col 2 | Col 3 |
|-------+-------+-------|
| ...   | ...   | ...   |

?

* Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-01 13:52 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-01 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

From the manual: [1]
,----
| C-c C-x M-w
| Copy a rectangular region from a table to a special clipboard. Point
and mark determine edge fields of the rectangle. If there is no active
region, copy just the current field. The process ignores horizontal
separator lines.
| C-c C-x C-w
| Copy a rectangular region from a table to a special clipboard, and
blank all fields in the rectangle. So this is the “cut” operation.
| C-c C-x C-y
| Paste a rectangular region into a table. The upper left corner ends
up in the current field. All involved fields will be overwritten. If
the rectangle does not fit into the present table, the table is
enlarged as needed. The process ignores horizontal separator lines.
`----

Hope this helps,
Jeff

* Footnotes
[1] http://orgmode.org/org.html#Built_002din-table-editor

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-01 14:15   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-11-01 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn wrote:

> Hope this helps,

Not much, really. You're saying that I can do rectangle editing, which I
knew. Are you basically saying "you have to sort them yourself"? (If so,
that's okay, it's a valid answer, even if it isn't the one I want!)

* Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-01 14:43 ` Juan Pechiar
From: Juan Pechiar @ 2010-11-01 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If you don't mind losing h-lines, you can transpose the table, sort
rows, and transpose back.

This code (which I previously posted to the list) transposes a table:

#+begin_src: emacs-lisp

(defun org-transpose-table-at-point ()
  "Transpose orgmode table at point, eliminate hlines"
  (interactive)
  (let ((contents (apply #'mapcar* #'list
                         (remove-if-not 'listp  ;; remove 'hline from list
                                        (org-table-to-lisp))))  ;; signals error if not table
        )
    (delete-region (org-table-begin) (org-table-end))
    (insert (mapconcat (lambda(x) (concat "| " (mapconcat 'identity x " | " ) "  |\n" ))
                       contents
                       ""))
    (org-table-align)
    )
)

#+end_src

Regards,
.j.

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 02:42:55PM +0100, Gary wrote:
> Is there any way to sort the columns of a table, such that for example
>
> | Col 3 | Col 1 | Col 2 |
>
> can be converted to
>
> | Col 1 | Col 2 | Col 3 |
> |-------+-------+-------|
> | ...   | ...   | ...   |
>
> ?

* Re: Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-01 15:09     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-01 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Gary <emacs-orgmode@garydjones.name> wrote:
> Jeff Horn wrote:
>
>> Hope this helps,
>
> Not much, really. You're saying that I can do rectangle editing, which I
> knew. Are you basically saying "you have to sort them yourself"? (If so,
> that's okay, it's a valid answer, even if it isn't the one I want!)

Cool. I don't know what other people know, so I thought I'd offer how
I've solved the problem in the past. Better to respond when I can than
see a question linger unanswered on the list.

Have a good one,
Jeff

--

@ 2010-11-01 15:33   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-11-01 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Juan Pechiar wrote:

> If you don't mind losing h-lines, you can transpose the table, sort
> rows, and transpose back.

Npghnyyl V jnag gb fbeg ba gur pbyhza urnqvatf, naq V nffhzr gung vf
jung lbh ner gnyxvat nobhg.

OGJ, vs lbh znxr vg qvssvphyg sbe zr gb ernq lbhe erfcbafr ol gbc
cbfgvat, qba'g rkcrpg zr gb qb nal qvssrerag.

* Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-01 15:39   ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2010-11-01 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Pechiar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn seems to be explaining specifics of how to do some nitty-gritty
manipulations--he mentions (quoting the manual) methods for yanking, Ccxy

The methods Jeff expressed are useful for the question posed.

I recommend rectangle-kill and rectangle-yank--Cxrk and Cxry to solve this
(in a very simple albeit possibly faster or slower way--depending on how
many columns you want to move/sort---moving column/rectangle 3 to the 3rd
position in this case--took a few seconds)

I tested Juan's method/defun---works grrrrreat!!
Thanks Juan

P.S. I did lose the hlines like you reported; but, to put the line back was
3 key strokes: |-Tab

@ 2010-11-01 17:47 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-11-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gary <emacs-orgmode@garydjones.name> writes:

> Is there any way to sort the columns of a table, such that for example
>
> | Col 3 | Col 1 | Col 2 |
>
> can be converted to
>
> | Col 1 | Col 2 | Col 3 |
> |-------+-------+-------|
> | ...   | ...   | ...   |

I'd do this using an external language that has a matrix/table data type
with column indexing.

#+tblname: unsorted
| Col3 | Col1 | Col2 |
|------+------+------|
| c    | a    |    b |

#+source: sorted
#+begin_src R :var tab=unsorted :colnames yes
tab[,order(colnames(tab))]
#+end_src

#+results: sorted
| Col1 | Col2 | Col3 |
|------+------+------|
| a    | b    | c    |

Dan

@ 2010-11-01 18:44   ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2010-11-01 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Gary, emacs-orgmode

BTW this is what Gary rot13'd/cyphered:

Npghnyyl V jnag gb fbeg ba gur pbyhza urnqvatf, naq V nffhzr gung vf
jung lbh ner gnyxvat nobhg.

=>

"Actually I want to sort on the column headings, and I assume that is
what you are talking about."

Thanks for the questions Gary.

* Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-01 19:02   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-11-01 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

If you want to sort table columns manually (usually that's quick and
easy), forget rectangle editing: M-left and M-right are your friends.

Cheers,
Christian

@ 2010-11-01 19:27     ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2010-11-01 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ah wow!  Thanks Christian!  I, at least, am very happy and content about
this subject-thread!

MLeft and MRight work great in TableMode of EmacsOrgMode!

Agree too: Rectangle editing is slower than Christian's method--EmacsOrgMode
has blown me away all over again!

Christian's method is a manual one though, Juan's and Dan's are program/app
based--there is more than one way to skin a cat.

All of the methods @do@ help one sort columns (in the way Gary described) in
OrgMode.

But still, playing devil's advocate here: There are those disappearing
hlines in Juan's method--maybe there is some code to write here.

* Re: Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-01 19:44     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 1, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Gary wrote:

> Jeff Horn wrote:
>
>> Hope this helps,
>
> Not much, really. You're saying that I can do rectangle editing,
> which I
> knew. Are you basically saying "you have to sort them yourself"? (If
> so,
> that's okay, it's a valid answer, even if it isn't the one I want!)

I guess in many cases it will be fast to sort by hand in a situation
like this.  Maybe not using rectangle commands, but using the commands
for dragging along a column, M-right and M-left.

If you have many columns, you can use a transposition as indicated
very cleverly by Juan.  Or you can write the command and send us a
patch :D
Maybe just a bubble sort, using the column-shifting commands might be
good enough.

How many columns do you have?

Cheers.

- Carsten

* Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-02 11:03   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-11-02 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison wrote:
> Gary writes:
>
>> Is there any way to sort the columns of a table, such that for example
>>
>> | Col 3 | Col 1 | Col 2 |
>>
>> can be converted to
>>
>> | Col 1 | Col 2 | Col 3 |

> I'd do this using an external language that has a matrix/table data type
> with column indexing.

Well, in the end I just used Excel :">

* Re: Sorting table columns (*not* content)
@ 2010-11-02 11:05       ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-11-02 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Gary wrote:
>
>> Jeff Horn wrote:
>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Not much, really. You're saying that I can do rectangle editing, which
>> knew. Are you basically saying "you have to sort them yourself"? (If
>> so,
>> that's okay, it's a valid answer, even if it isn't the one I want!)
>
> I guess in many cases it will be fast to sort by hand in a situation
> like this.

Depends how many columns you have. I had constructed a table whose
header contained variable references. Wiiiiiiiide table. I wanted to
sort to find the same named variables (and remove duplicates).