* A couple of suggestions
@ 2011-01-09 23:49 Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-01-09 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
I'm just getting into orgmode, and I'm finding it quite a revelation.
 Compliments to all its developers.
I have thought of a couple of ideas.  I wanted to bounce them off the
community before thinking about trying to implement them myself (I used to
be pretty good with lisp, a thousand years ago).

1. A bit more structure to page layout.
In particular I was thinking of this:
a. one file per day
b. date and journal name at top
c. a right "sidebar" of sorts that contains tags, dates, etc for the item to
its left.  This amounts to basically a tabular page arrangement, and each
"item" gets a row.

2. A vi-esque data entry mode
No offence, but I've always found emacs-y key bindings to be incredibly
unintuitive compared to, say, vi/vim.
The idea would be to rebind all keys on top of something like, but not
necessarily identical to, vi-mode.
I find that there are two "thinking styles" when I'm using org-mode:
organizing and gathering.  When "gathering," I'm mostly in emacs mode cuz
it's mostly entering data with little editing except for corrections to
spelling etc.  When "organizing," I'm doing little data entry, and mostly
moving stuff around, adding dates, changing task status etc.
In organizing mode, it's a pain for me to do the Cu-Cc-Cwhatever thing, so I
think it could be useful to people to have a choice of having a simpler
keystroke set available.

Comments?  Ideas?  Wild, hysterical laughter?

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering

* Re: A couple of suggestions
@ 2011-01-11  0:28 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-01-11  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Filippo A. Salustri" <salustri@ryerson.ca> writes:

> 2. A vi-esque data entry mode
> No offence, but I've always found emacs-y key bindings to be incredibly
> unintuitive compared to, say, vi/vim.
> The idea would be to rebind all keys on top of something like, but not
> necessarily identical to, vi-mode.
> I find that there are two "thinking styles" when I'm using org-mode:
> organizing and gathering.  When "gathering," I'm mostly in emacs mode
> cuz it's mostly entering data with little editing except for
> corrections to spelling etc.  When "organizing," I'm doing little data
> entry, and mostly moving stuff around, adding dates, changing task
> status etc.
> In organizing mode, it's a pain for me to do the Cu-Cc-Cwhatever thing,
> so I think it could be useful to people to have a choice of having a
> simpler keystroke set available.

Have you checked out the speed keys feature?

(info "(org) Speed keys")

Best,
Matt

* Re: A couple of suggestions
@ 2011-01-11  2:19   ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-01-11  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Oy-vay.  There's always another surprise coming, ain't there.
Thanks for the pointer!  This could be quite useful to me.

Cheers.
Fil

--

@ 2011-02-11 11:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-11 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Filippo,

"Filippo A. Salustri" <salustri@ryerson.ca> writes:

> I have thought of a couple of ideas.  I wanted to bounce them off the
> community before thinking about trying to implement them myself (I
> used to be pretty good with lisp, a thousand years ago).

I used to reply faster to emails, a thousand years ago ;)

> 1. A bit more structure to page layout.
> In particular I was thinking of this:
> a. one file per day

You can do it.

> b. date and journal name at top

You can do it.

> c. a right "sidebar" of sorts that contains tags, dates, etc for the
> item to its left.  This amounts to basically a tabular page
> arrangement, and each "item" gets a row.

We don't have sidebars but we have the Great Column View.  Browsing
your file while in column view let's you display whatever information
you want about your entries.

HTH,

--
 Bastien