* Defining capture-templates: custom and init file
@ 2011-03-08  2:17 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2011-03-08  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I would like to request advice, on how can I set up so most of my capture
templates are loaded from a file (~/org/capture-templates.el in my case) and
still retain the ability to define new capture templates on the fly.  I want
the best of both worlds:

   - capture-templates.el is easier for me to tweak by hand, and I can
alphabetize the templates in various ways as needed.

   - the capture custom feature is a fantastic way to deine one off
templates on the fly.

One imagines there must be a way to do this by loading one or the other of
the methods first, perhaps ~/org/capture-templates.el, and then load the
custom-file afterwards.

My understanding of the system does not enable me to understand the
underlying nuts and bolts of the system well enough to  know if either of
these methods will work, or run aground.

Thank you

Alan Davis

* Re: Defining capture-templates: custom and init file
@ 2011-03-08 11:19 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-03-08 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Davis wrote:
> I would like to request advice, on how can I set up so most of my capture templates are loaded from a file (~/org/capture-templates.el in
> my case) and still retain the ability to define new capture templates on the fly.  I want the best of both worlds:

>   - capture-templates.el is easier for me to tweak by hand, and I can alphabetize the templates in various ways as needed.
>
>   - the capture custom feature is a fantastic way to deine one off templates on the fly.

It may be worthwhile to ask this on the emacs list.

[I have seen somewhere emacs lead-dev Stefan Monnier recommend that
customize be used only for faces and ordinary other methods (setq?)
for everything else]