* org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-07 15:21 Nicolas Goaziou
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-11-07 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, Fraga, Jeff Horn

Instead of flooding the mailing lists with patches to org-inlinetask,
I added them into my repository.

They should fix quite a few bugs:

- indentation with inline tasks (with or without org-indent mode
  turned on) should be fine ;
- cycling levels of headings in indent-mode should be fixed ;
- C-c @ now marks inline task if point is inside the task, or the
  subtree if point is outside ;
- exporting inline tasks to latex is repaired.

Furthermore, the last patch introduces a template concept in inline
tasks exporting, namely `org-inlinetask-export-templates. Here is its
doc-string:

| This variable is an alist of shape (BACKEND STRING OBJECTS).
|
| BACKEND is the name of the backend for the template (ascii, html...).
|
| STRING is a format control string.
|
| OBJECTS is a list of elements to be substituted into the format
| string.  They can be of any type, from a string to a form
| returning a value (thus allowing conditional insertion).  A nil
| object will be substituted as the empty string.  Obviously, there
| must be at least as many objects as %-sequences in the format
| string.
|
| Moreover, the following special keywords are defined: `todo',
| `priority', `heading', `content', `tags'.  If some of them are not
| defined in an inline task, their value is the empty string.
|
| As an example, valid associations are:

| or, in a conditional way,
|
| (latex "\\begin{flushright}%s%s%s\\end{flushright}"
|        ((unless (eq todo "") (format "\\textsc{%s%s: }" todo priority))
|         heading
|         (unless (eq content "") (format "\n%s" content))))

This should be enough to cover most needs with regards to inline
tasks. Please note that drawers and scheduled items are not exported,
and while it would be possible, they weren't exported before, anyway.

Default values are conservative, only ascii export is more exotic (but
will be changed if someone comes up with a better idea), as I wanted
to have some fun with that variable.

I didn't make it customizable for two reasons:
1. Using this is for real men. Real men don't use customize ! (in fact
   the second reason is the more problematic ;))
2. I don't know how to tell customize to understand such a beast.

Here is the repo:

  git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git  branch: inlinetask

To maintainers:
- to sum it up, if you don't like the idea of templates, or how it is
  implemented, all commits but the last one are only fixes.
- could you delete submissions from 11-04 and 11-06 (but _not_ from
  10-26) on the patchwork server, as they are now included in the
  repo?

I'm now waiting for comments from the 3-3.5 persons in the world using
inline tasks!

Nicolas Goaziou

Regards,

-- Nicolas

* Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-07 17:09 ` Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-07 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou
  Cc: Sébastien Vauban, Fraga Fraga, Org Mode List, Jeff Horn

Hi Nicolas,

wow, you have been busy.  Thanks - and I have marked
the supersedes patches on the server.
I have not yet been able to test it - I hope other
will get to this before I do.

Thanks!

- Carsten

@ 2010-11-07 18:25 ` Jeff Horn
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-07 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, Eric S Fraga, Org Mode List

Yes, thanks a ton Nicholas! I will test these patches this afternoon.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-08  4:00   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-08  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik
  Cc: Org Mode List, Fraga Fraga, Nicolas Goaziou,
	Sébastien Vauban

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> wow, you have been busy.  Thanks - and I have marked
> the supersedes patches on the server.
> I have not yet been able to test it - I hope other
> will get to this before I do.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Carsten

Does this mean a pull from the org-mode repo pulls the patched files?
I just updated my local org installation and note text (not headlines)
still remain indented under the inline task instead of the parent node
heading level.

Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.36.g6c95.dirty) in emacs 23 on Snow Leopard.

--

@ 2010-11-08  7:01     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-11-08  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn
  Cc: Sébastien Vauban, Fraga Fraga, Org Mode List,
	Carsten Dominik

Hello,

> Does this mean a pull from the org-mode repo pulls the patched
> files? I just updated my local org installation and note text (not
> headlines) still remain indented under the inline task instead of
> the parent node heading level.

You have to pull from _my_ repo, not the org-mode one, as the patches
are not yet installed in master branch.

Again, here is the URL to pull that from:

git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git  branch: inlinetask

If you prefer, I can also send you the patches by email (there are 7
of them).

@ 2010-11-08  8:48 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-08  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Vauban, Jeff Horn, Org Mode List

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Instead of flooding the mailing lists with patches to org-inlinetask,
> I added them into my repository.

Thanks Nicolas.  I'll try to check out these changes today.  It sure
sounds like you've done a nice bit of work and I'm looking forward to
being able to customise the export of inline tasks!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.36.g6c95)

* Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-08 12:41       ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-08 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou
  Cc: Sébastien Vauban, Fraga Fraga, Org Mode List,
	Carsten Dominik

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have to pull from _my_ repo, not the org-mode one, as the patches
> are not yet installed in master branch.
>
> Again, here is the URL to pull that from:
>
> git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git  branch: inlinetask

I'm getting some errors. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

jeffreyhorn:~/bin/emacs-lisp/org-mode
>>git pull git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git  branch: inlinetask
fatal: Couldn't find remote ref branch

> If you prefer, I can also send you the patches by email (there are 7
> of them).

Would you mind zipping them up, or hinting at what I'm doing wrong with git?

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-08 13:23 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-08 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Vauban, Jeff Horn, Org Mode List

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Instead of flooding the mailing lists with patches to org-inlinetask,
> I added them into my repository.
>
> They should fix quite a few bugs:
>
> - indentation with inline tasks (with or without org-indent mode
>   turned on) should be fine ;
> - cycling levels of headings in indent-mode should be fixed ;
> - C-c @ now marks inline task if point is inside the task, or the
>   subtree if point is outside ;
> - exporting inline tasks to latex is repaired.
>

> Furthermore, the last patch introduces a template concept in inline
> tasks exporting, namely `org-inlinetask-export-templates. Here is its
> doc-string:

Nicolas,

I've tried to test the various bits mentioned above, except for cyling
of headings.  Everything I've tried works perfectly!!  This is
brilliant.  I've customised the latex export and I'm getting exactly
what I would like to see.

Thanks!
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.43.g10c8)

* Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-08 13:25         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-08 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Vauban, Org Mode List, Nicolas Goaziou, Carsten Dominik

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You have to pull from _my_ repo, not the org-mode one, as the patches
>> are not yet installed in master branch.
>

>> Again, here is the URL to pull that from:
>>
>> git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git  branch: inlinetask
>
> I'm getting some errors. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Try the same but without the "branch:" text; i.e.:

: git pull git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git inlinetask

which worked just fine for me.

--

@ 2010-11-08 14:41           ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga
  Cc: Sébastien Vauban, Org Mode List, Nicolas Goaziou,
	Carsten Dominik

> Try the same but without the "branch:" text; i.e.:
>
> : git pull git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git inlinetask
>
> which worked just fine for me.

Thanks, Eric. Nicolas, this works great! Thank you. This really helps
quite a lot.

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-11-08 20:33 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-11-08 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> To maintainers:
> - to sum it up, if you don't like the idea of templates, or how it is
>   implemented, all commits but the last one are only fixes.
> - could you delete submissions from 11-04 and 11-06 (but _not_ from
>   10-26) on the patchwork server, as they are now included in the
>   repo?
>
> I'm now waiting for comments from the 3-3.5 persons in the world using
> inline tasks!

I guess I'm the last 0.5 user of inline tasks ;-)

I really have no time just now, but I promise trying your patch in the next
coming 2 days. Promised.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-18 22:22   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-11-18 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nicolas,

> Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> To maintainers:
>> - to sum it up, if you don't like the idea of templates, or how it is
>>   implemented, all commits but the last one are only fixes.
>> - could you delete submissions from 11-04 and 11-06 (but _not_ from
>>   10-26) on the patchwork server, as they are now included in the
>>   repo?
>>
>> I'm now waiting for comments from the 3-3.5 persons in the world using
>> inline tasks!
>
> I guess I'm the last 0.5 user of inline tasks ;-)
>
> I really have no time just now, but I promise trying your patch in the next
> coming 2 days. Promised.

OK; this has been DEFERRED a bit, but DONE nonetheless...

I tested the look and feel of the export to HTML and PDF. Works fine.

Works even better (IMHO) with the suggested template:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
;; templates for inline tasks in various exporters
(setq org-inlinetask-export-templates
              '((unless (eq todo "")
                          class todo todo priority))
                heading content))
        (latex "\\todo[inline]{\\textbf{\\textsf{%s %s}}\\linebreak{} %s}"
               '((unless (eq todo "")
                   (format "\\textsc{%s%s}" todo priority))
                 heading content))
        ;; [...]
       ))
#+end_src

The advantage is to get a real different look for the inlined task, so that it
gets your attention as it deserves it.

- Regarding HTML, if you don't replace your list environment by my
  proposition, I would at least exchange the position of the blank space.
  Better is:

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
                                                       ;; ^      ^
  #+end_src

  Otherwise, when TODO keywords have background colors, you see the keyword
  with one space too much...

- Regarding LaTeX, my suggestion requires the =todonotes= LaTeX package to be
  loaded in the header.

Thanks for your work!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-18 23:27     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-11-18 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> I tested the look and feel of the export to HTML and PDF. Works
> fine.

Good.

> Works even better (IMHO) with the suggested template:

[...]

> The advantage is to get a real different look for the inlined task,
> so that it gets your attention as it deserves it.

Ok, I do not mind, as I do not use inline tasks. I trust you here. I
have applied it on github (and corrected the misplaced <b>).

If it is a sane default template for HTML, perhaps someone could tell
me what its equivalent is for DocBook?

> - Regarding LaTeX, my suggestion requires the =todonotes= LaTeX
> package to be loaded in the header.

For that one I'm not sure adding one more package to those already
inserted by default is a good idea. Is =todonotes= standard in every
LaTeX distribution?

I think default templates should be clean and very low on
requirements. This is not too hard for an user of this (undocumented)
feature of Org to configure it to its needs after all.

What do users (and maintainers) think about it?

@ 2010-11-19 12:34       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-11-19 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> I tested the look and feel of the export to HTML and PDF. Works fine.
>> Works even better (IMHO) with the suggested template.
>>
>> The advantage is to get a real different look for the inlined task, so that
>> it gets your attention as it deserves it.
>
> Ok, I do not mind, as I do not use inline tasks. I trust you here. I have
> applied it on github (and corrected the misplaced <b>).

Thanks -- as well for the misplaced <b> (it was working fine, but not
semantically in the correct spot, right).

> If it is a sane default template for HTML, perhaps someone could tell me
> what its equivalent is for DocBook?

Can't be of any help for that.

>> - Regarding LaTeX, my suggestion requires the =todonotes= LaTeX
>>   package to be loaded in the header.
>
> For that one I'm not sure adding one more package to those already inserted
> by default is a good idea. Is =todonotes= standard in every LaTeX
> distribution?

I think so, but what really is standard?

With TeXLive, almost all existing packages are installed nowadays (you can't
not choose anymore for base or medium installation packages). So, yes, it's
directly available.

With MikTeX, I have no idea. But MiKTeX pops up the user for missing packages,
allowing its installation in a couple of seconds. If not by default, shouldn't
be a problem either.

> I think default templates should be clean and very low on requirements. This
> is not too hard for an user of this (undocumented) feature of Org to
> configure it to its needs after all.

I share your view on keeping trying to be as "basic" as possible in
requirements. Though, I must admit that, at the time when I only used pure
LaTeX for editing my stuff, the todonotes package appeared as the only
valuable one.

And, as its name says, it really is targetting TODO notes!

> What do users (and maintainers) think about it?

I'm interested as well by comments...

When do you think this could be merged in the master branch?

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2010-11-20 20:50         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-20 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

[...]

>>> - Regarding LaTeX, my suggestion requires the =todonotes= LaTeX
>>>   package to be loaded in the header.
>>
>> For that one I'm not sure adding one more package to those already inserted
>> by default is a good idea. Is =todonotes= standard in every LaTeX
>> distribution?
>
> I think so, but what really is standard?
>
> With TeXLive, almost all existing packages are installed nowadays (you can't
> not choose anymore for base or medium installation packages). So, yes, it's
> directly available.
>
> With MikTeX, I have no idea. But MiKTeX pops up the user for missing packages,
> allowing its installation in a couple of seconds. If not by default, shouldn't
> be a problem either.
>

>> I think default templates should be clean and very low on requirements. This
>> is not too hard for an user of this (undocumented) feature of Org to
>> configure it to its needs after all.
>
> I share your view on keeping trying to be as "basic" as possible in
> requirements. Though, I must admit that, at the time when I only used pure
> LaTeX for editing my stuff, the todonotes package appeared as the only
> valuable one.
>
> And, as its name says, it really is targetting TODO notes!
>

>> What do users (and maintainers) think about it?
>
> I'm interested as well by comments...

I tend to ensure that all packages that are available are installed so
this wouldn't be a problem for me.

However, I think that keeping the number of dependencies down is
advantageous so I would vote for having a very generic default template
for latex but with a good example of what is possible in the
documentation (e.g. the particular template definition proposed by
Sébastien).

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.104.gf692)

* Re: Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-28 12:17           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-11-28 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> However, I think that keeping the number of dependencies down is
> advantageous so I would vote for having a very generic default
> template for latex but with a good example of what is possible in
> the documentation (e.g. the particular template definition proposed
> by Sébastien).

Agreed. I changed doc-string to include Sébastien's template (and
specified it required an additional LaTeX package).

I'm still all ears for a very generic default template for LaTeX,
DocBook and ASCII (and not as ugly as those I provided).

Regards,

-- Nicolas

* Re: Re: org-indent, org-inlinetask: patches on github
@ 2010-11-28 17:16             ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-11-28 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

> I'm still all ears for a very generic default template for LaTeX,
> DocBook and ASCII (and not as ugly as those I provided).

I'm not familiar enough with LaTeX to write a template. The only
changes I would like to see are the TODO keyword highlighted in red,
the remainder of the heading set in a normal size font, and perhaps a
frame box around the todo item.

Jeff

--

@ 2010-12-06 18:45   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-12-06 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Horn, Vauban, Fraga Fraga, Org Mode List

Hello,

It has been applied to master branch.

I will keep an eye on reported bugs about it. It shouldn't change
anything for users not requiring org-inlinetask in their Org
configuration, though.

@ 2010-12-07 10:29     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-12-07 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> It has been applied to master branch.
>
> I will keep an eye on reported bugs about it. It shouldn't change
> anything for users not requiring org-inlinetask in their Org
> configuration, though.

Perfect. Thanks!

Best regards,
  Seb