* suggestion/feature-request for dynamic blocks
@ 2010-09-15 12:47 Inquisitive Scientist
From: Inquisitive Scientist @ 2010-09-15 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Experts,

I'd like to make a suggestion/feature-request for people who write dynamic
blocks (which are very cool):

 1. It would be really handy to have a parameter of the form :tname <NAME>
which puts a #+TBLNAME: <NAME> into the top of the table created by a
dynamic block. This makes the dynamic table easy to reference from other
things.
 2. It would be even better to also provide a parameter of the form :dtname
<NAME> which puts a #+TBLNAME: <NAME>-<DATE> into the top of the table where
<DATE> is today's date.
 3. It might be handy to have orgmode provide a predefined set of standard
parameters and tools for writing those at the start end of the table so all
dynamic block writers can get the benefit of nifty parameters with minimal
effort.

Thanks again for org-mode,

-I.S.

* Re: suggestion/feature-request for dynamic blocks
@ 2010-09-21 15:41 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-21 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Inquisitive Scientist; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Inquisitive Scientist <inquisitive.scientist@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Experts,
>
> I'd like to make a suggestion/feature-request for people who write dynamic
> blocks (which are very cool):
>
>  1. It would be really handy to have a parameter of the form :tname <NAME>
> which puts a #+TBLNAME: <NAME> into the top of the table created by a
> dynamic block. This makes the dynamic table easy to reference from other
> things.

Tables created by named code block are already prefixed with a
#+results: source-name line.  This allows them to be referenced by other
code blocks.  Is there some property of #+tblname: lines which is not
shared by #+results: lines which would make #+tblname: lines preferable?

>  2. It would be even better to also provide a parameter of the form :dtname
> <NAME> which puts a #+TBLNAME: <NAME>-<DATE> into the top of the table where
> <DATE> is today's date.

I would recommend packing this date information into the results line
(rather into the name).  Can I ask what use-case this would be to
support?

>  3. It might be handy to have orgmode provide a predefined set of standard
> parameters and tools for writing those at the start end of the table so all
> dynamic block writers can get the benefit of nifty parameters with minimal
> effort.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  By "dynamic block" do you mean "code
block" or something more general?

Thanks -- Eric

@ 2010-09-22 12:26   ` I.S.
From: I.S. @ 2010-09-22 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On 9/21/2010 11:41 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Tables created by named code block are already prefixed with a
> #+results: source-name line.  This allows them to be referenced by other
> code blocks.  Is there some property of #+tblname: lines which is not
> shared by #+results: lines which would make #+tblname: lines preferable?
Sorry for the terminology confusion. I was referring to the dynamic code
block features of org-mode such as org-dblock-write:columnview or
org-update-dblock. Such functions take a pair of lines like

#+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id local :maxlevel 4
#+END:

and fill them in with information automatically extracted from the
org-mode file.

I would like to be able to specify something like

#+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id local :maxlevel 4 :dtname
#+END:

and have a #+TBLNAME get inserted in automatically so that I can then
use org-babel to further process the results.

I think things like this would be useful for all the various kinds of
org-dblock-write: functions and so suggested a generic library for
writers of org-dblock-write: functions to handle things like this.

Thanks,
-I.S.