* Git pull has merge conflict
@ 2010-10-30  3:59 Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2010-10-30  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

I am not sure why this conflict is arising even after resetting to
head and then doing a pull

$ noorul@sajida:~/emacs/org-mode$ git reset --hard
HEAD is now at ba6b6f3 Merge branch 'master' of git://repo.or.cz/org-mode

$ noorul@sajida:~/emacs/org-mode$ git pull
Auto-merging ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: Git pull has merge conflict
@ 2010-10-30 13:32 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-10-30 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam; +Cc: emacs-org list

Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> writes:

> I am not sure why this conflict is arising even after resetting to
> head and then doing a pull
>
> $ noorul@sajida:~/emacs/org-mode$ git reset --hard
> HEAD is now at ba6b6f3 Merge branch 'master' of git://repo.or.cz/org-mode
>
> $ noorul@sajida:~/emacs/org-mode$ git pull
> Auto-merging ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
> CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
> Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

Because you reset to master, which is your copy, rather than resetting
to origin/master, which would discard local changes.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: Git pull has merge conflict
@ 2010-10-30 14:00   ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2010-10-30 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> writes:
>
>> I am not sure why this conflict is arising even after resetting to
>> head and then doing a pull
>>
>> $ noorul@sajida:~/emacs/org-mode$ git reset --hard
>> HEAD is now at ba6b6f3 Merge branch 'master' of git://repo.or.cz/org-mode
>>
>> $ noorul@sajida:~/emacs/org-mode$ git pull
>> Auto-merging ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
>> CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
>> Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
>
> Because you reset to master, which is your copy, rather than resetting
> to origin/master, which would discard local changes.

Thank you!

@ 2010-10-30 14:01   ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2010-10-30 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> writes:
>
>> I am not sure why this conflict is arising even after resetting to
>> head and then doing a pull
>>
>> $ noorul@sajida:~/emacs/org-mode$ git reset --hard
>> HEAD is now at ba6b6f3 Merge branch 'master' of git://repo.or.cz/org-mode
>>
>> $ noorul@sajida:~/emacs/org-mode$ git pull
>> Auto-merging ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
>> CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in ORGWEBPAGE/index.org
>> Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
>
> Because you reset to master, which is your copy, rather than resetting
> to origin/master, which would discard local changes.

Btw I did not have any local changes/commits. But still the merge failed.

Thank you!

Noorul