* bug? no newline at beginning of file
@ 2008-11-21 22:09 Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2008-11-21 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

found a possible bug and a quick search in google didn't return any
results, so I thought I send an email to the list (although I'm not
subscribed), but I couldn't find any other place to report it. So here
we go:

My version of the emacs and org:

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
2008-09-11 on hammer22

Org-mode version 6.12b (updated from git every weekend)

what to do:

* open a new file
* switch to orgtbl-mode
* create a new table at the beginning of the file (e.g. starting in the
first line)
* got to beginning of the file
* hit enter to add a newline
* nothing happens! I can add newlines everywhere else in the file though

expected behavior: a newline would be added before the table (works if I
turn table mode off)

HTH, great work btw, org-mode is one of my most used emacs modes ;)

Arun

* Re: bug? no newline at beginning of file
@ 2008-11-23  8:33 ` Mikael Fornius
From: Mikael Fornius @ 2008-11-23  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Persaud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am just a regular user of org-mode but I reproduced you problem and I
think you shoul use C-j to make a newline before the table.

Because when point is on an orgtbl the return key is bound to orgtbl-ret
and at first glance it looks nontrivial to implement the behavior you
ask for.

But I am not a org-developer, this was just some thoughts.

/Mikael Fornius

* Re: bug? no newline at beginning of file
@ 2008-11-23  8:44   ` Mikael Fornius
From: Mikael Fornius @ 2008-11-23  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Persaud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mikael Fornius <mfo@abc.se> writes:

> ... this was just some thoughts.

Replying my own post now.

My thought was not of any great value because I now fully understand
your problem:

In org-mode it works as one expect but not in orgtbl-mode and when point
is at beginning of line in the table and you hit RET the table splits up
but not at first line in orgtbl.

/Mikael Fornius

* Re: bug? no newline at beginning of file
@ 2008-11-24 21:19     ` Arun Persaud
From: Arun Persaud @ 2008-11-24 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Fornius; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi

> Mikael Fornius <mfo@abc.se> writes:
>
> > ... this was just some thoughts.
>
> Replying my own post now.
>
> My thought was not of any great value because I now fully understand
> your problem:
>
> In org-mode it works as one expect but not in orgtbl-mode and when
> pointis at beginning of line in the table and you hit RET the table
> splits up
> but not at first line in orgtbl.

exactly... not a big thing either... plenty of work arounds (e.g. go to text-mode, add newline, go to org-mode)., but I thought I report it, since it looked like a bug to me ;)

cheers
       ARUN

* Re: Re: bug? no newline at beginning of file
@ 2008-11-24 21:49       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-24 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Persaud; +Cc: Mikael Fornius, emacs-orgmode

Fixed, thanks.