* removal of appointments
@ 2009-03-12 14:02 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I use

(run-at-time nil 300 'org-agenda-to-appt)
(appt-activate t)

to add org tasks to emacs appointment handling.

Is there a way for org to remove these entries when marked as done or
cancelled?

While on the subject, is there any concept of an "alarm" in
org? Or is this just a scheduled item? It would be nice of there was a
way to trigger specific functions based on the tags  -e.g play wave file
for a reminder of a task of a certain type. Is there something like this
anyone can recommend or point me to? I would like to configure org as my
alarm clock too!

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

* Re: removal of appointments
@ 2009-03-12 16:42 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-12 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

On Mar 12, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Richard Riley wrote:

> I use
>
> (run-at-time nil 300 'org-agenda-to-appt)
> (appt-activate t)
>
> to add org tasks to emacs appointment handling.
>
> Is there a way for org to remove these entries when marked as done or
> cancelled?

There is org-after-todo-state-change-hook which is run after
a state changes.  You could check

  (member state org-done-keywords)

and if yes, refresh the appointment list with

   (org-agenda-to-appt t)

This will re-generate the entire task list, you
will probably feel the impact.  I don't know a way to remove
individual entries.

> While on the subject, is there any concept of an "alarm" in
> org? Or is this just a scheduled item? It would be nice of there was a
> way to trigger specific functions based on the tags  -e.g play wave
> file
> for a reminder of a task of a certain type. Is there something like
> this
> anyone can recommend or point me to? I would like to configure org
> as my
> alarm clock too!

Isn't this exactly what appt does??????

- Carsten

* Re: removal of appointments
@ 2009-03-13  0:34   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-13  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Mar 12, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
>

>> I use
>>
>> (run-at-time nil 300 'org-agenda-to-appt)
>> (appt-activate t)
>>
>> to add org tasks to emacs appointment handling.
>>
>> Is there a way for org to remove these entries when marked as done or
>> cancelled?
>
> There is org-after-todo-state-change-hook which is run after
> a state changes.  You could check
>
>  (member state org-done-keywords)
>
> and if yes, refresh the appointment list with
>
>   (org-agenda-to-appt t)
>
> This will re-generate the entire task list, you
> will probably feel the impact.  I don't know a way to remove
> individual entries.
>

>> While on the subject, is there any concept of an "alarm" in
>> org? Or is this just a scheduled item? It would be nice of there was a
>> way to trigger specific functions based on the tags  -e.g play wave
>> file
>> for a reminder of a task of a certain type. Is there something like
>> this
>> anyone can recommend or point me to? I would like to configure org
>> as my
>> alarm clock too!
>
> Isn't this exactly what appt does??????

Exactly? No. I guess I was just fishing to see if someone had
implemented something like a "make a noise property" with a sleep
feature for example that associated a certain property with a WAV/mp3
file and when the appointment is triggered it will play the audo file if
appropriate.

> - Carsten

* Re: removal of appointments
@ 2009-03-13  3:09     ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-03-13  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Richard:

I want to preface this with a statement of truth: I don't know what I am
talking about.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Richard Riley
<rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>wrote:

>                         I guess I was just fishing to see if someone had
> implemented something like a "make a noise property" with a sleep
> feature for example that associated a certain property with a WAV/mp3
> file and when the appointment is triggered it will play the audo file if
> appropriate.

All the same, I was able to hack together a simple little routine to start a
video in vlc from dired and also start an org-mode buffer with a timer at
the same time.

The elements that can make what you want to happen happen, do exist or could
be put together.  But you are on your own.  Just the same if you contact me
off the list I'll send a copy of what I put together (dired-vlc.el) and
maybe suggest which part would be useful for modifying to play an mp3.
Interestingly, the routines I borrowed from were designed around mplayer,
and they are simple.

As far as the trigger, I wouldn't know where to begin.

The sleep function would be possible too, but I was quite far out of my
depth even in what I had done, and up 'til now I have not gotten around to
trying to incorporate pausing into dired-vlc.el, although others have
indicated it is doable.

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one
non-existent."                     ---Lord Raleigh (John William Strutt), or
else his son, who was also a scientist.

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
    ---- Bertrand Russell

* Re: removal of appointments
@ 2009-03-13  9:12 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2009-03-13  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard,

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:02:19 +0100
Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> While on the subject, is there any concept of an "alarm" in
> org? Or is this just a scheduled item? It would be nice of there was a
> way to trigger specific functions based on the tags  -e.g play wave file
> for a reminder of a task of a certain type. Is there something like this
> anyone can recommend or point me to? I would like to configure org as my
> alarm clock too!

if you are willing to run another application you can do it with remind.

There exisits an org2rem script you could add a hook to to automatically invoke, I guess, after inserting a timed appointment. Remind itself can run in daemon mode
and has very easy syntax to run arbitrary commands at arbitrary times :-)

As you only had a one-way push and no problems syncing remind and org
it may well be a usable way.

Nice introduction from remind's author:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3529

Homepage:
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/remind

Greeting from the other side of the city
Detlef

* Re: removal of appointments
@ 2009-03-13 15:05 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2009-03-13 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard's question makes me wonder about org and diary integration.
Whats the good/proper way of doing that?
Bastien's note in org2rem says that perhaps orgmode makes remind
unnecessary but interoperability wont hurt.
The org docs themselves seem to say that org and diary are
complementary but Im not quite getting how.

Sorry if I am a little dull here but this is one of those things I
most want to get but somehow or other cannot bend my head around.

This is also related to another question (also from Richard?) about
archiving more to his taste.
To my mind this is a special case of a more general problem (or
stupidity of mine?) that I am suffering
Things like (a) TODO lists, diaries etc are 'live'. By contrast (b)
Files are 'dead' (or inanimate at least)
Activities like archiving move from (a) to (b)
Processes like org/diary/cron etc etc move from (b) to (a)

An effective use of tools like emacs/org (for say GTD) depends on
smoothing these transitions.
Some of my posts on the emacs list eg
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2009-03/msg00268.html
-- seemingly unrelated to org -- is actually about the other side of this.

Any thoughts/tips on this much appreciated