* Bug with time summary in column view?
@ 2009-11-24 20:56 Norbert Zeh
From: Norbert Zeh @ 2009-11-24 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

I just tried the latest org-mode version 6.33f, and I've run into the
following problem that is not there with version 6.32b but which I can
also reproduce with version 6.33c (sorry didn't try any other versions).

In my agenda, I assign an Effort property to each TODO item.  In column
view, I have set up a summary for this column with

#+COLUMNS: Effort(Estimate){:}

Using version 6.32b, the effort estimate is shown for each day in column
view.  Using the 6.33 versions I tried, no such summary is shown.  Is
this a bug or a feature?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Norbert

* Re: Bug with time summary in column view?
@ 2009-11-24 21:51 ` James TD Smith
From: James TD Smith @ 2009-11-24 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Zeh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Norbert,

On 2009-11-24 16:56:27(-0400), Norbert Zeh wrote:
> I just tried the latest org-mode version 6.33f, and I've run into the
> following problem that is not there with version 6.32b but which I can
> also reproduce with version 6.33c (sorry didn't try any other versions).

I've just tried this with the latest org-mode from git and it seems to be
working fine. There have been no changes to column view since 6.33f was tagged.

> In my agenda, I assign an Effort property to each TODO item.  In column
> view, I have set up a summary for this column with
>
> #+COLUMNS: Effort(Estimate){:}

Each column definition should start with a '%'. Try

#+COLUMNS: %TODO %Effort(Estimate){:}

> Using version 6.32b, the effort estimate is shown for each day in column
> view.  Using the 6.33 versions I tried, no such summary is shown.  Is
> this a bug or a feature?

James

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc>-|

* Re: Bug with time summary in column view?
@ 2009-11-24 23:34   ` Norbert Zeh
From: Norbert Zeh @ 2009-11-24 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi James,

thanks for the reply.

[...]

> Each column definition should start with a '%'. Try
>
> #+COLUMNS: %TODO %Effort(Estimate){:}

Actually, this was just a mistake in copying this into the email.  It
does have the % in my colum specs.  The way I noticed the issue what
that my Debian box had 6.32b, while I had installed 6.33c, then f on my
windows machine.  Going back to 6.32b fixed the problem on the windows
machine.

Since it works for you, next question: which emacs version are you
using?  I'm running 23 on my windows box.  Could this make a difference?

@ 2009-11-25  0:00   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-11-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James TD Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi James,

James TD Smith <ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc> writes:

> Hi Norbert,
>
> On 2009-11-24 16:56:27(-0400), Norbert Zeh wrote:
>> I just tried the latest org-mode version 6.33f, and I've run into the
>> following problem that is not there with version 6.32b but which I can
>> also reproduce with version 6.33c (sorry didn't try any other versions).
>
> I've just tried this with the latest org-mode from git and it seems to
> be working fine. There have been no changes to column view since 6.33f
> was tagged.

I'm experiencing the same problem the OP reports (i.e., no effort or
clocksum summaries) when viewing columns in the agenda. I reported this
in an earlier email:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/19937

I'm using the most recent git version with:

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.2.1, NS apple-appkit-949.27)

It also occurs on my Linux box.

The behavior was introduced with the following commit:

commit b81fae4c3fa39a15bda5e58016fe9dec28e38c18
Author: James TD Smith <ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc>
Date:   Tue Nov 10 02:42:17 2009 +0000

    More bugfixes for agenda column view

    Make org-agenda-columns-summarize work properly with the new summary types.
    It was assuming the values should be summarised by adding them together. It'
    now updated to use the summary functions in org-columns-compile-map, and als
    handles summary types with calculated values properly.

    Leave calculated columns blank if there is no underlying value.

    Don't return zero if a property is missing.

    Changes are also applied to xemacs colview.

- Matt

* Re: Bug with time summary in column view?
@ 2009-11-25  2:05     ` James TD Smith
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: James TD Smith @ 2009-11-25  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matt and Norbert,

On 2009-11-24 19:00:18(-0500), Matt Lundin wrote:
> James TD Smith <ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc> writes:
> > On 2009-11-24 16:56:27(-0400), Norbert Zeh wrote:
> >> I just tried the latest org-mode version 6.33f, and I've run into the
> >> following problem that is not there with version 6.32b but which I can
> >> also reproduce with version 6.33c (sorry didn't try any other versions).
> >
> > I've just tried this with the latest org-mode from git and it seems to
> > be working fine. There have been no changes to column view since 6.33f
> > was tagged.
>
> I'm experiencing the same problem the OP reports (i.e., no effort or
> clocksum summaries) when viewing columns in the agenda. I reported this
> in an earlier email:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/19937

Ah, I missed that. Sorry.

I've looked into this further and found what I think was causing it. The code
which calculates the summaries in the agenda was mixing up properties and
titles, and failing to find the data it was supposed to be summarising. It
worked if there was no title set on the column being summarised, which is why
the test I did earlier seemed OK.

It should be fixed now, there's a patch (b0eaeaa) for this in the bugfixes branch at
git://yog-sothoth.mohorovi.cc/org-mode.

Can one of you give it a try and confirm it fixes your problem?

James

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc>-|

* Re: Bug with time summary in column view?
@ 2009-11-25 12:12       ` Norbert Zeh
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Norbert Zeh @ 2009-11-25 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi James,

thanks for the bug fix.  The git version fixes the problem.

Cheers,
Norbert

James TD Smith [2009.11.25  205 +0000]:
> Hi Matt and Norbert,
>
> On 2009-11-24 19:00:18(-0500), Matt Lundin wrote:
> > James TD Smith <ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc> writes:
> > >
> > > I've just tried this with the latest org-mode from git and it seems to
> > > be working fine. There have been no changes to column view since 6.33f
> > > was tagged.
> >
> > I'm experiencing the same problem the OP reports (i.e., no effort or
> > clocksum summaries) when viewing columns in the agenda. I reported this
> > in an earlier email:
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/19937
>
> Ah, I missed that. Sorry.
>
> I've looked into this further and found what I think was causing it. The code
> which calculates the summaries in the agenda was mixing up properties and
> titles, and failing to find the data it was supposed to be summarising. It
> worked if there was no title set on the column being summarised, which is why
> the test I did earlier seemed OK.
>
> It should be fixed now, there's a patch (b0eaeaa) for this in the bugfixes branch at
> git://yog-sothoth.mohorovi.cc/org-mode.
>
> Can one of you give it a try and confirm it fixes your problem?
>
> James
>
> --
> |-<James TD Smith>-<email/ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc>-|

--
"And it happened all the time that the compromise between two perfectly
rational alternatives was something that made no sense at all."

* Re: Bug with time summary in column view?
@ 2009-11-25 12:15       ` Matthew Lundin
       [not found]       ` <20091125094324.GC7194@cs.dal.ca>
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-11-25 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James TD Smith; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

Hi James,

James TD Smith <ahktenzero@mohorovi.cc> writes:

>> I'm experiencing the same problem the OP reports (i.e., no effort or
>> clocksum summaries) when viewing columns in the agenda. I reported this
>> in an earlier email:
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/19937
>
> Ah, I missed that. Sorry.
>
> I've looked into this further and found what I think was causing it. The code
> which calculates the summaries in the agenda was mixing up properties and
> titles, and failing to find the data it was supposed to be summarising. It
> worked if there was no title set on the column being summarised, which is why
> the test I did earlier seemed OK.
>
> It should be fixed now, there's a patch (b0eaeaa) for this in the bugfixes branch at
> git://yog-sothoth.mohorovi.cc/org-mode.
>
> Can one of you give it a try and confirm it fixes your problem?

The patch fixes the problem. Thanks.

- Matt

@ 2009-11-25 12:25         ` Norbert Zeh
From: Norbert Zeh @ 2009-11-25 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Norbert Zeh [2009.11.25  543 -0400]:
> Hi James,
>
> thanks for looking into this, and fixing it.  I'd be happy to test.
> Just one question.  If I don't want to overwrite my stable version of
> org mode that's installed and I choose to install the git version in a
> separate location, how to I instruct emacs to use the git version
> instead of the stable one?
>
> Cheers,
> Norbetr

Alright, while we're at it ;), here's another somewhat unexpected
behaviour.  I'm not even sure this should be considered a bug, but it's
more a matter of defining what the right behaviour should be.

If I have an entry with an effort estimate of, say, 1:00 and it is shown
in today's agenda because it is scheduled today and the deadline is in 2
days, the 1:00 time effort is counted twice in the effort summary for
the day.  To me, this doesn't make much sense, as it's only one task,
not two.  So, if I were to choose how to treat this situation, I would
simply say that all entries shown because of their deadline should not
be listed in this summary.  Then, of course, this may not be the right
rule in all situations.

Any ideas how one could let the user specify on a per-column basis
whether entries shown because of a deadline should be included in the
summary or not?

Cheers,
Norbert

* Re: Re: Bug with time summary in column view?
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]       ` <20091125094324.GC7194@cs.dal.ca>
@ 2009-11-25 12:25       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-25 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James TD Smith; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

Hi James,

thanks for fixing this so quickly.  I have applied the patch.

- Carsten

@ 2009-11-25 16:34           ` James TD Smith
From: James TD Smith @ 2009-11-25 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Zeh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Norbert,

On 2009-11-25 08:25:08(-0400), Norbert Zeh wrote:
> Norbert Zeh [2009.11.25  543 -0400]:
> Alright, while we're at it ;), here's another somewhat unexpected
> behaviour.  I'm not even sure this should be considered a bug, but it's
> more a matter of defining what the right behaviour should be.

It seems like a bug to me, in that the effort summary for the day will be wrong.

> If I have an entry with an effort estimate of, say, 1:00 and it is shown
> in today's agenda because it is scheduled today and the deadline is in 2
> days, the 1:00 time effort is counted twice in the effort summary for
> the day.  To me, this doesn't make much sense, as it's only one task,
> not two.  So, if I were to choose how to treat this situation, I would
> simply say that all entries shown because of their deadline should not
> be listed in this summary.  Then, of course, this may not be the right
> rule in all situations.
>
> Any ideas how one could let the user specify on a per-column basis
> whether entries shown because of a deadline should be included in the
> summary or not?

I think this will be quite complicated to fix. There are multiple reasons an
item can appear in the agenda: active timestamps, deadlines, scheduling, and in
log mode clocked time and inactive timestamps, so any solution would need to
handle all of those. As far as column view is concerned each line in the agenda
is a different item.

If we attach a property to each line in the agenda indicating where it came from
(using org ids or similar), the summary calculation code for the agenda could
skip entries it had already seen, though I'm not sure it's the right thing to do
for all summary types.

James

--

@ 2009-11-26  6:18           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-26  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Zeh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 25, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Norbert Zeh wrote:

> Norbert Zeh [2009.11.25  543 -0400]:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> thanks for looking into this, and fixing it.  I'd be happy to test.
>> Just one question.  If I don't want to overwrite my stable version of
>> org mode that's installed and I choose to install the git version
>> in a
>> separate location, how to I instruct emacs to use the git version
>> instead of the stable one?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Norbetr
>
> Alright, while we're at it ;), here's another somewhat unexpected
> behaviour.  I'm not even sure this should be considered a bug, but
> it's
> more a matter of defining what the right behaviour should be.
>
> If I have an entry with an effort estimate of, say, 1:00 and it is
> shown
> in today's agenda because it is scheduled today and the deadline is
> in 2
> days, the 1:00 time effort is counted twice in the effort summary for
> the day.  To me, this doesn't make much sense, as it's only one task,
> not two.  So, if I were to choose how to treat this situation, I would
> simply say that all entries shown because of their deadline should not
> be listed in this summary.  Then, of course, this may not be the right
> rule in all situations.
>
> Any ideas how one could let the user specify on a per-column basis
> whether entries shown because of a deadline should be included in the
> summary or not?

This is, unfortunately, very hard to fix.

A partial remedy could be

(setq org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown t)

but it works the other way round, and I cannot easily make a variable
org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled-is-shown.

- Carsten