* Sorting a column of inactive dates
@ 2009-02-03  0:06 Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2009-02-03  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all,

I have a table where one column consists of inactive dates, such as this:

   | Date             | OK? |
   |------------------+-----|
   | [2009-01-30 Fri] | x   |
   | [2009-01-27 Tue] | x   |
   | [2009-01-28 Wed] | x   |

I can't sort the table by that column.  If I change the dates to active, then
sorting (by time) works fine.  Is this behavior intentional?

--
Best,
Hsiu-Khuern.

* Re: Sorting a column of inactive dates
@ 2009-02-06 15:53 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hsiu-Khuern Tang; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:06 AM, Hsiu-Khuern Tang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a table where one column consists of inactive dates, such as
> this:
>
>   | Date             | OK? |
>   |------------------+-----|
>   | [2009-01-30 Fri] | x   |
>   | [2009-01-27 Tue] | x   |
>   | [2009-01-28 Wed] | x   |
>
> I can't sort the table by that column.  If I change the dates to
> active, then
> sorting (by time) works fine.  Is this behavior intentional?

Yes, intentional, because the same routine also does sorting of
entries and should prefer active time stamps.  However, I realize that
we can still look for an inactive time stamp when no active one can be
found.   I just pushed this change.

- Carsten

* Re: Sorting a column of inactive dates
@ 2009-02-06 18:37   ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2009-02-06 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

* On Fri 03:53PM +0000, 06 Feb 2009, Carsten Dominik (dominik@science.uva.nl) wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:06 AM, Hsiu-Khuern Tang wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a table where one column consists of inactive dates, such as
> > this:
> >
> >   | Date             | OK? |
> >   |------------------+-----|
> >   | [2009-01-30 Fri] | x   |
> >   | [2009-01-27 Tue] | x   |
> >   | [2009-01-28 Wed] | x   |
> >
> > I can't sort the table by that column.  If I change the dates to
> > active, then
> > sorting (by time) works fine.  Is this behavior intentional?
>

> Yes, intentional, because the same routine also does sorting of
> entries and should prefer active time stamps.  However, I realize that
> we can still look for an inactive time stamp when no active one can be
> found.   I just pushed this change.

Thank you for this change; it works great!

--
Best,
Hsiu-Khuern.