From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
Cc: Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Bug: No property change from ‘org-clock-sum’
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 17:30:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On 6.5.2011, at 15:56, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>>
>>> I don't think the org-clock-sum function does what you think/want it
>>> to do. The docstring says it sets text properties on the headline - so
>>> I don't think it is intended to update a CLOCKSUM property in the
>>> headings.
>>
>> I don't underastand the distinction. Isn't the CLOCKSUM property a text
>> property? What do I need to know here?
>
> Sorry I didn't explain that very well.  Hopefully this will shed a
> little more light on this.
>
> Text properties is an emacs feature where you can add extra (invisible,
> and temporary) data to text in an emacs buffer.
>
> An Org-mode properties are part of the org file and normally lives in
> the :PROPERTY: drawer.
>
> The column view overlay is displayed using emacs text properties - and
> this doesn't alter the data in the org file.  Thus the org-invoice.el
> code that queries the _org_ property CLOCKSUM never gets a value.
>

>>> These text properties are temporary (ie. not saved in the org file) and
>>> I think these are used by the column view overlays for display-only.
>>>
>>> The org-invoice.el contributed file created by Peter Jones uses a
>>> CLOCKSUM property but I'm not sure if this is intended to be updated
>>> manually or automatically from the clocking lines in org.  I've CC-ed
>>> Peter in case he can shed any light on this.
>>
>> Thanks. It does seem that they're much the same purpose, so I hope they
>> can be unified.
>
> I think the fix is probably to make org-invoice.el look for the CLOCKSUM
> text property instead of a CLOCKSUM org-mode property value.
> org-invoice.el should probably also automatically call org-clock-sum so
> this doesn't need to be a manual step.

No.  CLOCKSUM is a special property, and it can be used to
access the clocking sum of an entry after (org-clock-sum) has
been called.  This is what org-invoice does.  It calls
org-clock-sum to do the computation, and then used the property
API to get to the value.

However, I seen now that there is a bug here, cause by a
rewrite (for speed) of property access some time ago.
After that rewrite, the special CLOCKSUM property used
by org-invoice.el was no longer accessible.

This problem has just been fixed, so with the current git master,
org-invoice.el should work again.

- Carsten