From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Chris Randle <chris@amlog.co.uk>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Checkboxes and intermediate state
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:56:27 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Chris,

On Feb 15, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Chris Randle wrote:

> Mini-example
> of being part-way working through the finished list with a defrag
> kicked
> off:
>
> *** TODO Finish up
>    - [X] Uninstall WinPcap driver
>    - [X] Uninstall UltraVNC
>    - [-] Defrag
>    - [ ] Reset screen resolution to 1280x854
>
> I've not used the new ability to convert lines to/from checkboxes,
> although I can see how it could be useful, especially on a block of
> items. But, there are a couple of things I'd like to get a feel for
> from
> others using checkboxes heavily:
>
> Taking the example above, and doing `C-u C-c C-c' on the defrag
> line, I
> don't see why this result
>
> *** TODO Finish up
>    - [X] Uninstall WinPcap driver
>    - [X] Uninstall UltraVNC
>    - Defrag
>    - [ ] Reset screen resolution to 1280x854
>
> should be more important/useful/common than the previous pending
> state.

The reason for this assumption is that as of now, you are the only
person *I know* who uses this have-ready state of checkboxes.
Given the fact that I every now and then do need to remove
a checkbox, this seemed the logical choice to me.

But I am glad you bring it up, it is perfectly possible that
I see it wrong and that it would be better to reverse the
action of single and double prefix argument.

> Converting items to/from checkboxes, I should have thought, would have
> been something done once, whereas manipulating the state of a checkbox
> was something that is done more often. So I think that `C-u C-c C-c'
> should stay as toggle pending state and `C-u C-u C-c C-c' (less
> frequently used?) should be remove checkbox. Also, why then doesn't
> (currently) `C-u C-c C-c' put a checkbox back in?

The reason for this is technical.  `C-c C-c' is a context-sensitive key.
If there is a checkbox, the context is "checkbox" and it calls
org-toggle-checkbox, which does do the interpretation of the prefix
argument.

If the context is just "item", not "checkbox", so it is less clear
to the context detector what should be done.

You can try this by using the direct key for org-toggle-checkbox,
`C-c C-x C-b'.  It will re-insert a checkbox (in fact even without
a prefix arg because there is nothing else to do).

> I do so much want to stress how I don't want to criticise your
> fabulous
> code.

Do not worry about this.  I do have a side job as a scientist and am
quite used to constructive criticism.  :-)

- Carsten