On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Matt Lundin wrote: > My guess is that this allows him to see what group an item belongs to in > the agenda view, since categories are listed in the left column. > > But this is like asking why someone puts their pots in the cupboard next > to the oven rather than above the sink, or why someone uses legal pads > rather than a spiral notebook. > And if you were setting up a kitchen for the first time, wouldn't you ask that kind of question? :) > My recommendation: Just start creating trees, use only a few TODO > states, and allow the organization to evolve in the way that feels the > most comfortable to you. > At the time of this writing, I've stumbled because I have had one file called TODO which is becoming too cluttered for me to process usefully. I used C-c C-v to show only TODO items, but some TODO items have ellipses indicating content while some have ellipses indicating DONE items afterwards, so I end up expanding a bunch of DONE items. I have a TODO state called BLOCKING which clutters the view too. I have a vague sense that learning how to use the agenda would help, but I haven't gotten to it yet, since I've been trying to put together a coherent org-mode setup by cargo-culting things from the advanced users' setups. This probably isn't the best way to go about it, of course.. I thought org-mode level 1 was pretty easy to learn -- but I'm really struggling to get to level 2. Ethan