Apologies, sent this just to Michael and not the whole list: ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Chris wallace Date: 06-Jun-2006 17:01 Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: [David O'Toole] Fwd: Re: org-publish future ? To: Michael Olson On 06/06/06, Michael Olson wrote: > Carsten Dominik writes: > > > Yes, this is certainly true. ascii-to-xxx converters can certainly > > help you to write your first LaTeX document. However, they don't > > encourage to grow into that language at all, so to some extend they > > are a dead end. > > I disagree. It would give people an excellent foundation that they > can build upon, since they can examine the output from that publishing > routine to learn LaTeX. When they come across limitations of the > current LaTeX publishing implementation, they will search for > supplemental information. If it's really needed, why not just add a faq: Q: how do I generate laTeX from org? A: use org-export-to-html and then call html2latex on the result (see http://html2latex.sourceforge.net/) ? Chris. PS. On the subject of org-publish (sort of), one of the things I like most about org-mode is that I can have Readme.org files scattered over a number of directories and have them all included in the agenda. However, org-publish assumes all org files for a single project reside in a single directory. I wonder if I am the only one who has several directories per project? I have hacked org-publish.el (badly) to allow me to supply a list of org files instead of a directory. If this would be useful for anyone else, I'm happy to have a go a cleaning it up and offer a patch.