From: Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org>
To: William Denton <wtd@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: Trouble evaluating R source code blocks with C-c C-c
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 07:32:24 +0530	[thread overview]

> On 28-May-2016, at 7:57 pm, William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> On 28 May 2016, Vikas Rawal wrote:
>
>> Thanks John. Appreciate that you cared to respond to such a vague query. I am at a loss with this one. It does not happen all the time. I think it happens when I am processing large datasets, and CPUs and RAM of my system are struggling to keep up. But I could be wrong.
>
> I've had the same kind of thing happen---but C-g (sometimes many) to kill the command, then rerunning, usually works without any trouble.  Some strange combination of CPU and RAM and all that, the kind of thing that's not easily reproducible.

This seems to be write. Upgrading ess did not help.

The odd thing is that running the same code by doing C-‘ to open a temporary R buffer and running to code from there works fine. But then I come back to the org buffer, C-c C-c, and the whole thing just freezes. The R session shows that the code is running. I have to use C-g in the org-buffer, which releases the org buffer, and C-c several times in the R session, to stop the commands. If I have waited enough, doing C-c C-c at the end in the R session ends the command and actually shows the output of the last command in R buffer. Which means that the last command had been completed. But the output was not inserted in the org buffer, and R was going on doing something.

Let me try ‘debug-on-quit'

Vikas