From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: GOAL keyword with DEADLINE semantics?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:52:17 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mar 9, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> (setq org-deadline-string "DUE:")
>>
>> which captures both the colors of DEADLINE and GOAL pretty well, I
>> think.
>>
>> In fact, I wish I had made this the default from beginning,
>> a much shorter and  nicer word.  Now it is too late to change this, I
>> am afraid.....
>
> Is it really too late?  Could you maybe make the REGEXP that matches
> the
> deadline look for both DEADLINE: and DUE: but make new deadlines use
> DUE:  ?
>
> As long as you don't force everyone to s/DEADLINE:/DUE:/ in their
> existing setup I don't think there's a huge impact with this change.

I guess I meant it is too late to *only* change that variable.
You are right, in principle this could be done.  Which basically means
implementing Austin's proposal of allowing several deadline keywords.

But: it means changing quite a few regexps, not just one.  And it
will mean follow-up requests to have different fontification
for different DEADLINE keywords.  And different appearance
in the Agenda.  And adding the deadline keyword to the CSV export
of the agenda.  And doing everything the same for variations
on SCHEDULED.  And something I have not thought of yet... :-)

When I am in a good mood, maybe...

- Carsten

P.S.  Talking about mood: Ever seen a man in a bad mood?
       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ds7OfXXi-c&feature=related