* BUG: refile leaves END line of inline tasks
@ 2009-06-19 14:08 Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-06-19 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

First, thank you for the excellent inline tasks feature! I use it a lot,
and came across this bug as a result.

If you have a multi-line inline task, with an END line, then refiling it
leaves the END line behind. Since it isn't needed at the destination, it
should just be deleted.

   *************** TODO example of refile bug
                   C-c C-w takes these lines,
                   but leaves the END line.
   *************** END

Regards,

Peter.

* Re: BUG: refile leaves END line of inline tasks
@ 2009-06-19 14:44 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-06-19 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

"Peter Westlake" <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:

> If you have a multi-line inline task, with an END line, then refiling it
> leaves the END line behind. Since it isn't needed at the destination, it
> should just be deleted.
>
>    *************** TODO example of refile bug
>                    C-c C-w takes these lines,
>                    but leaves the END line.
>    *************** END

I've discovered a couple of related issues:

1) Archiving an inline task leaves the END line behind.

2) Footnotes. If org-footnote-section is set to nil, the
   org-footnote-action treats inline tasks as sections and thus sorts
   footnotes under inline tasks.

- Matt

* Re: Re: BUG: refile leaves END line of inline tasks
@ 2009-06-21  6:31   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-21  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> "Peter Westlake" <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> If you have a multi-line inline task, with an END line, then
>> refiling it
>> leaves the END line behind. Since it isn't needed at the
>> destination, it
>> should just be deleted.
>>
>>   *************** TODO example of refile bug
>>                   C-c C-w takes these lines,
>>                   but leaves the END line.
>>   *************** END

Hmm, refiling inline tasks?  Isn't this a contradiction in itself?

> I've discovered a couple of related issues:
>
> 1) Archiving an inline task leaves the END line behind.

Same here, isn't this a contradiction????

> 2) Footnotes. If org-footnote-section is set to nil, the
>   org-footnote-action treats inline tasks as sections and thus sorts
>   footnotes under inline tasks.

This on the other hand is a bug which I have just fixed.

- Carsten

P.S. Of course we can change the behavior also in the first two points,
but I would like to discuss first if this makes sense.....

* Re: Re: BUG: refile leaves END line of inline tasks
@ 2009-06-22 15:48     ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-06-22 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:31 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>
> > "Peter Westlake" <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
> >
> >> If you have a multi-line inline task, with an END line, then
> >> refiling it
> >> leaves the END line behind. Since it isn't needed at the
> >> destination, it
> >> should just be deleted.
> >>
> >>   *************** TODO example of refile bug
> >>                   C-c C-w takes these lines,
> >>                   but leaves the END line.
> >>   *************** END
>

> Hmm, refiling inline tasks?  Isn't this a contradiction in itself?

Well, I certainly understand what you mean, but the fact that I tried
to do it shows that it's sometimes needed! The use case is a small
TODO, noted in passing, being absorbed into a larger piece of work when
it becomes clear that there is a general problem to be solved.

These inline tasks mostly appear in the middle of my work log file,
which is the digital equivalent of a lab book or diary. Everything
I do at work gets written down as it happens, and that sometimes
includes TODO items.

> P.S. Of course we can change the behavior also in the first two points,
> but I would like to discuss first if this makes sense.....

Fair enough! It's also worth considering the point that the function
does actually work; it just leaves a spare END line.

Regards,

Peter.

* Re: Re: BUG: refile leaves END line of inline tasks
@ 2009-08-03  4:27   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-03  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Peter, hi Matt,

On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> "Peter Westlake" <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> If you have a multi-line inline task, with an END line, then
>> refiling it
>> leaves the END line behind. Since it isn't needed at the
>> destination, it
>> should just be deleted.
>>
>>   *************** TODO example of refile bug
>>                   C-c C-w takes these lines,
>>                   but leaves the END line.
>>   *************** END
>
> I've discovered a couple of related issues:
>
> 1) Archiving an inline task leaves the END line behind.
>
> 2) Footnotes. If org-footnote-section is set to nil, the
>   org-footnote-action treats inline tasks as sections and thus sorts
>   footnotes under inline tasks.

All three issues are fixed now.

However, in order to make refiling and archiving work properly,
the inline tasks *must* have the END line.

org-inlinetask.el now installs a new key `C-c C-x t' to insert an
inline task at point, including the corresponding END line.

HTH

- Carsten