* specifying priority with template expansion
@ 2010-12-03 20:00 David A. Thompson
From: David A. Thompson @ 2010-12-03 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

An expansion for setting priority doesn't seem to be an option when
using capture functionality with template expansion (at least in the
online documentation). Instead, setting priority seems to require a few
additional key strokes after capturing an item.

Is there a straightforward way to pull off cuing for priority in a
capture template? Mailing list/google searches didn't reveal much along
these lines leaving me wondering if I've missed something obvious...

Thanks for any and all suggestions (I've found org-mode to be a very
helpful tool -- thanks to the authors/contributors for their efforts).

- Alan

* Re: specifying priority with template expansion
@ 2010-12-03 20:40 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-03 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Thompson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Can you give us a better idea of the use case? As I understand,
unprioritzed todos count as "B" by default. Since most of my tasks
have a priority of B, I've never found setting priorities to be
helpful until I sit down to review my work for the day.

I prioritize items that are important (or urgent) with A at the
beginning of the day (no more than a couple, usually). Most items are
"B" and rarely more than half of those get done.

If I want to "sink" an item but keep it scheduled, it gets a priority of "C".

These are often things I do not know when recording an item.

Interested to hear your thoughts,
Jeff

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM, David A. Thompson <thompdump@gmail.com> wrote:
> An expansion for setting priority doesn't seem to be an option when using
> capture functionality with template expansion (at least in the online
> documentation). Instead, setting priority seems to require a few additional
> key strokes after capturing an item.
>
> Is there a straightforward way to pull off cuing for priority in a capture
> template? Mailing list/google searches didn't reveal much along these lines
> leaving me wondering if I've missed something obvious...
>
> Thanks for any and all suggestions (I've found org-mode to be a very helpful
> tool -- thanks to the authors/contributors for their efforts).
>
> - Alan

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: specifying priority with template expansion
@ 2010-12-03 22:42   ` David A. Thompson
From: David A. Thompson @ 2010-12-03 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Jeff Horn

On 12/03/2010 12:40 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:
> Can you give us a better idea of the use case? As I understand,
> unprioritzed todos count as "B" by default. Since most of my tasks
> have a priority of B, I've never found setting priorities to be
> helpful until I sit down to review my work for the day.
>
> I prioritize items that are important (or urgent) with A at the
> beginning of the day (no more than a couple, usually). Most items are
> "B" and rarely more than half of those get done.
>
> If I want to "sink" an item but keep it scheduled, it gets a priority of "C".

Most of my todos are neither associated with deadlines nor are they
scheduled. Schedules and deadlines have seemed a more time-intensive way
to go relative to setting priorities (but perhaps this is a 'Green Eggs
and Ham' thing?)

> These are often things I do not know when recording an item.

I guess the main difference is that I generally am typically able to
recognize, when recording a todo, whether it's in the 'urgent/asap' pile
(A), the 'try-and-get-it-done-sometime-soon' pile (B), or in a
'sure-would-be-nice-to-get-it-done' pile (C). Given that, it seemed both
logical and more efficient to immediately prioritize the item rather
than going back later and prioritizing the item.

Thanks for any additional thoughts/suggestions...

@ 2010-12-04 18:37     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-04 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Thompson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM, David A. Thompson <thompdump@gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of my todos are neither associated with deadlines nor are they
> scheduled. Schedules and deadlines have seemed a more time-intensive way to
> go relative to setting priorities (but perhaps this is a 'Green Eggs and
> Ham' thing?)

Maybe. :-)

They were certainly the ticket for me.

> I guess the main difference is that I generally am typically able to
> recognize, when recording a todo, whether it's in the 'urgent/asap' pile
> (A), the 'try-and-get-it-done-sometime-soon' pile (B), or in a
> 'sure-would-be-nice-to-get-it-done' pile (C). Given that, it seemed both
> logical and more efficient to immediately prioritize the item rather than
> going back later and prioritizing the item.

Someone else is probably better suited to address your original post.
As far as additional thoughts, I was only thinking about keystroke
savings:

1) You can set priorities in agenda view by typing a comma and
choosing priority. You can set them anywhere with =C-c ,=. Or, you can
simply type them, =[#A]=.
2) Say you type them. That's four keystrokes. You could use =%?= in a
template to past the cursor within the priority cookie, like =[#%?]=.
But then you need two keystrokes to get out.
3) Whether 2) saves more time than 1) isn't clear to me, but might fit
your case until/if/when priorities are added to templates.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

--

@ 2010-12-05  4:30       ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-12-05  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> Someone else is probably better suited to address your original post.
> As far as additional thoughts, I was only thinking about keystroke
> savings:
>
> 1) You can set priorities in agenda view by typing a comma and
> choosing priority. You can set them anywhere with =C-c ,=. Or, you can
> simply type them, =[#A]=.

Or just use '+' and '-'.
With ABC Priorities, thats even less keystrokes ;)

- Memnon

* Re: specifying priority with template expansion
@ 2010-12-06 10:00     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-12-06 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Thompson; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Dec 3, 2010, at 11:42 PM, David A. Thompson wrote:

> On 12/03/2010 12:40 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:
>> Can you give us a better idea of the use case? As I understand,
>> unprioritzed todos count as "B" by default. Since most of my tasks
>> have a priority of B, I've never found setting priorities to be
>> helpful until I sit down to review my work for the day.
>>
>> I prioritize items that are important (or urgent) with A at the
>> beginning of the day (no more than a couple, usually). Most items are
>> "B" and rarely more than half of those get done.
>>
>> If I want to "sink" an item but keep it scheduled, it gets a
>> priority of "C".
>
> Most of my todos are neither associated with deadlines nor are they
> scheduled. Schedules and deadlines have seemed a more time-intensive
> way to go relative to setting priorities (but perhaps this is a
> 'Green Eggs and Ham' thing?)
>
>> These are often things I do not know when recording an item.
>
> I guess the main difference is that I generally am typically able to
> recognize, when recording a todo, whether it's in the 'urgent/asap'
> pile (A), the 'try-and-get-it-done-sometime-soon' pile (B), or in a
> 'sure-would-be-nice-to-get-it-done' pile (C). Given that, it seemed
> both logical and more efficient to immediately prioritize the item
> rather than going back later and prioritizing the item.

You might want to consider to make separate templates with two-key
access for these different priorities.  Then you could uce

C-c c t a   for priority A
C-c c t b   for priority B

etc.

Might be more efficient in your case then reading and responding to a
prompt.

But my intuition would also be to just assume B (which is the same as
giving NO priority at all), and changing it to A or C with S-up and S-
down on the headline while editing the template.

HTH

- Carsten