* Quick help when pressing '?' in an agenda view?
@ 2021-05-24 12:07 Nathaniel W Griswold
From: Nathaniel W Griswold @ 2021-05-24 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I noticed that org-agenda-mode stands out in that '?' is not bound to open some kind of help by default. Org agenda is unique in this, it is the first out of many views i have used that did not have '?' bound to open some kind of help. Seems to be convention in pretty much anything builtin to emacs or added by third party that takes over a buffer and interacts with the user. Some examples of builtin are dired, list-buffers, ibuffer, list-bookmarks.

'?' is currently default `org-agenda-show-the-flagging-note`, i haven't used that quite yet.

There hasn't been much discussion on the list about this, There was brief discussion on the list about 'h' here: https://orgmode.org/list/87v9b6qn23.fsf@gmail.com/. Maybe most people don't really care about this. Do other people ever use '?' or was that just me because i came from the vim world? It was something that stood out to me when i first started using org-mode, so i thought i would present it to the list as feedback data.

I didn't realize for a while that "C-h m" opens describe-mode by default, and describe-mode is kinda what i wanted for my problems. I had been opening the org info manual, taking a couple steps to navigate to 'Agenda Commands', and referencing that. I then bookmarked it because i was doing it so much. Maybe i was being stupid but i was new to stuff and i think the '?' is intended for people who are getting started and it would have helped me out there.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Thank you, everyone. Great work on the software.

Nate