* Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-14  3:31 Arnold, Travis
From: Arnold, Travis @ 2011-04-14  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all after much googling and searching I came across org mode while trying to find a system for my mac on which I could take notes for my school classes. I've read the manual and taken a look at the worg tutorials but  seem to keep messing up my .emacs config file, I seemed to have borked the sequence, or work flow of my TODO states, I started with the ones in the example but just took out the next step and added some short cuts, t, s, d and c, but C-t just cycles from TODO ->DONE and since I know every little about coding, or lisp I am unsure of what I did wrong.  I cannot also seem to find a a way to just get bolded section headings with out the 1.x.x etc etc for my notes, if anything I wonder if there is a way to get list the sections with roman numerals?

As the note taking system I have so far enjoyed it and would love to tinker and tweak it for an agenda but am fearful of messing up. Might anyone know of a tutorial for luddites like myself who are just starting out? I am unsure if I even set up my .emacs file correctly: I basically copied and pasted the relevant bits that I thought I needed.

Respectfully and thank you for the time,
Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-15 21:45 ` Matthew Sauer
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-04-15 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold, Travis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

do you have your section of .emacs or site file customizations that
you used to set it up with?  also what version of Ogmode and emacs?

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:
> Hi all after much googling and searching I came across org mode while trying to find a system for my mac on which I could take notes for my school classes. I've read the manual and taken a look at the worg tutorials but  seem to keep messing up my .emacs config file, I seemed to have borked the sequence, or work flow of my TODO states, I started with the ones in the example but just took out the next step and added some short cuts, t, s, d and c, but C-t just cycles from TODO ->DONE and since I know every little about coding, or lisp I am unsure of what I did wrong.  I cannot also seem to find a a way to just get bolded section headings with out the 1.x.x etc etc for my notes, if anything I wonder if there is a way to get list the sections with roman numerals?
>
> As the note taking system I have so far enjoyed it and would love to tinker and tweak it for an agenda but am fearful of messing up. Might anyone know of a tutorial for luddites like myself who are just starting out? I am unsure if I even set up my .emacs file correctly: I basically copied and pasted the relevant bits that I thought I needed.
>
> Respectfully and thank you for the time,
> Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-16  2:22   ` Arnold, Travis
From: Arnold, Travis @ 2011-04-16  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Sauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

emacs 22.1, that is in Mac OSX 10.6.6 and Orgmode 7.4 Here is my .emacs file, all stuff I've cribbed from either the tutorial or the Orgpdf itself, with my own specification regarding what is in the agenda make up, a notes.org, school and an Agenda.org(to differeniate from school deadlines)
-Travis Arnold

;; Org-mode settings
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-font-lock-mode 1)
(add-to-list 'load-path "/Users/Tmoney/org-7.4/lisp")
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
  '(gud-gdb-command-name "gdb --annotate=1")
'(org-agenda-files (quote ("~/org/Notes.org" "~/org/school.org" "~/org/Agenda.org"))))
(setq org-agenda-files (list "~/org/Notes.org"
                             "~/org/school.org"
                             "~/org/Agenda.org"))
(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO(t)" "STARTED(s)" "WAITING(w@/!)" "|" "DONE(d)")
                          (sequence "|" "CANCELED(c@/!)")))
(setq org-log-done 'time)
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.

On 15 Apr, 2011, at 5:45 PM, Matthew Sauer wrote:

> do you have your section of .emacs or site file customizations that
> you used to set it up with?  also what version of Ogmode and emacs?
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:
>> Hi all after much googling and searching I came across org mode while trying to find a system for my mac on which I could take notes for my school classes. I've read the manual and taken a look at the worg tutorials but  seem to keep messing up my .emacs config file, I seemed to have borked the sequence, or work flow of my TODO states, I started with the ones in the example but just took out the next step and added some short cuts, t, s, d and c, but C-t just cycles from TODO ->DONE and since I know every little about coding, or lisp I am unsure of what I did wrong.  I cannot also seem to find a a way to just get bolded section headings with out the 1.x.x etc etc for my notes, if anything I wonder if there is a way to get list the sections with roman numerals?
>>
>> As the note taking system I have so far enjoyed it and would love to tinker and tweak it for an agenda but am fearful of messing up. Might anyone know of a tutorial for luddites like myself who are just starting out? I am unsure if I even set up my .emacs file correctly: I basically copied and pasted the relevant bits that I thought I needed.
>>
>> Respectfully and thank you for the time,
>> Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-16  8:32     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-04-16  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Travis,

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:22:33 -0400
"Arnold, Travis" <tlarnold@RADFORD.EDU> wrote:

> emacs 22.1, that is in Mac OSX 10.6.6 and Orgmode 7.4

Since you are starting out, I would recommend to start with Emacs 23.2
if it is possible. There have been too many enhancements to make the
effort definitely worth it.

> ;; Org-mode settings
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))

If you are using Emacs 23, the above line is optional.

> (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
> (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
> (global-font-lock-mode 1)
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/Users/Tmoney/org-7.4/lisp")
> (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(gud-gdb-command-name "gdb --annotate=1")
>  '(org-agenda-files (quote ("~/org/Notes.org" "~/org/school.org" "~/org/Agenda.org"))))

> (setq org-agenda-files (list "~/org/Notes.org"
>                              "~/org/school.org"
>                              "~/org/Agenda.org"))

This line is not required as the last line in the custom-set-variable
block does the same function. If you intend to put all your agenda files
in the same directory (e.g. ~/org/) maybe you should consider using this
setting instead:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; other settings
 '(org-agenda-files (quote ("~/org"))))

> (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO(t)" "STARTED(s)"
> "WAITING(w@/!)" "|" "DONE(d)") (sequence "|" "CANCELED(c@/!)")))
> (setq org-log-done 'time)

I would recommend you use the "customize-variable" interface to
customise your org-mode setup.

> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.

This block does not close properly.

I am attaching a modified setup file. You could try customising
starting from that. Put it in your home and rename it to .emacs.

To start customising, after loading org just do:

M-x customize-variable

M above stands for meta. I don't know how the meta keys are mapped on a
Mac, but I think pressing ESC and x separately should do the trick.
This will prompt you for a variable to customise. The rest of the
interface is self explanatory.

You can use a similar interface to customise faces too.

M-x customize-face

Good luck.

--
Suvayu

[-- Attachment #2: dotemacs --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 815 bytes --]

;; load path for org-mode files
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/build/org-mode/lisp")

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(gud-gdb-command-name "gdb --annotate=1")
 '(org-agenda-files (quote ("~/org")))
 '(org-log-done (quote time))
 '(org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO(t)" "STARTED(s)" "WAITING(w@/!)" "|" "DONE(d)" "CANCELLED(c@/!)")))))

(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-16  8:58       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-04-16  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 01:32:31 -0700
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/build/org-mode/lisp")

Sorry, this line in the attachment should have been:

@ 2011-04-25 20:26 Travis Arnold
From: Travis Arnold @ 2011-04-25 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fatkasuvaya+linux; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you,  I've copied that and have used it to set up things,  though I have a silly question,  how can I update emacs on mac?, looking at the website it appears to just be the tarbell? , Is there an idiot proof walkthrough?

-Travis

Travis Arnold
tarnold01@gmail.com

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-25 21:25       ` Travis Arnold
From: Travis Arnold @ 2011-04-25 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Since you are starting out, I would recommend to start with Emacs 23.2
> if it is possible. There have been too many enhancements to make the
> effort definitely worth it.

Thank you,  how can I update emacs on mac?
I've customized the variables for my current setup,
but how can I update with Mac?
looking at the website it appears to just be the tarbell?
Is there an idiot proof  walkthrough?
-Travis? (80 character limit in messages?)

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-25 22:23         ` Urs Rau (UK)
From: Urs Rau (UK) @ 2011-04-25 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Travis Arnold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Either install emacs DMG from
http://emacsformacosx.com/
or Aquaemacs from
http://aquamacs.org/
Both will read your .emacs customizations.
HTH
--
Urs Rau

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-25 22:56           ` Arnold, Travis
From: Arnold, Travis @ 2011-04-25 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Urs Rau (UK); +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Is there a difference between the two?
Or personal prefrence?
-Travis
On 25 Apr, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Urs Rau (UK) wrote:

> http://aquamacs.org/

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-25 23:07             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-25 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold, Travis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Urs Rau (UK)

Google it. Sifting through, however...

- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1096009/carbon-vs-aqua-vs-cocoa-emacs-builds
- http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS

I chose gnu emacs. No particular reason, but there was something
psychological about using the same on Linux as well, so I went with
it. I asked this question before and don't think I heard much say one
way or the other.

John

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:
> Is there a difference between the two?
> Or personal prefrence?
> -Travis
> On 25 Apr, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Urs Rau (UK) wrote:
>
> http://aquamacs.org/

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26  0:06               ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-04-26  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Arnold, Travis, Urs Rau (UK), emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I had aquaemacs on my mac earlier.  It didn't come with org-mode built
in.  I think maybe org-mode 4.54 is included in emacsformacosx if ifo
org in terminal mode on my mac mini is any indicator.  I hope this helps
somebody.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, John Hendy wrote:

> Google it. Sifting through, however...
>
> - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1096009/carbon-vs-aqua-vs-cocoa-emacs-builds
> - http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS
>
> I chose gnu emacs. No particular reason, but there was something
> psychological about using the same on Linux as well, so I went with
> it. I asked this question before and don't think I heard much say one
> way or the other.
>

> John
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:
> > Is there a difference between the two?
> > Or personal prefrence?
> > -Travis
> > On 25 Apr, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Urs Rau (UK) wrote:
> >
> > http://aquamacs.org/

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26  0:21                 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Arnold, Travis, Urs Rau (UK), emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I'd just recommend installing whatever version of emacs you want and
then install org from git. Dead simple, no confusion about being up to
date, etc.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

Best regards,
John

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> I had aquaemacs on my mac earlier.  It didn't come with org-mode built
> in.  I think maybe org-mode 4.54 is included in emacsformacosx if ifo
> org in terminal mode on my mac mini is any indicator.  I hope this helps
> somebody.
>
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, John Hendy wrote:
>
>> Google it. Sifting through, however...
>>
>> - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1096009/carbon-vs-aqua-vs-cocoa-emacs-builds
>> - http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS
>>
>> I chose gnu emacs. No particular reason, but there was something
>> psychological about using the same on Linux as well, so I went with
>> it. I asked this question before and don't think I heard much say one
>> way or the other.
>>

>> John
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:
>> > Is there a difference between the two?
>> > Or personal prefrence?
>> > -Travis
>> > On 25 Apr, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Urs Rau (UK) wrote:
>> >
>> > http://aquamacs.org/

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26  1:19                   ` Arnold, Travis
From: Arnold, Travis @ 2011-04-26  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Urs Rau (UK), Jude DaShiell, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 25 Apr, 2011, at 8:21 PM, John Hendy wrote:

> I'd just recommend installing whatever version of emacs you want and
> then install org from git. Dead simple, no confusion about being up to
> date, etc.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

Ok, looking through  that, it seems slightly more complicated then I am currently comfortable with, does this require me to have some sort of server running, or is it a client-server thing, with my mac as the client getting whatever it needs from the repository? Apperently I the other .emacs file someone posted does not work for whatever reason with the defualt emacs in Mac OS X, it lost all formatting, stars, TODO's etc. Am playing around in Aquaemacs for now and the org buttons, are rather nice I admit.
-Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26  1:43                   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-04-26  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Arnold, Travis, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Urs Rau (UK)

Dead simple so long as build goes nominally.  That didn't happen with
current stable version on my mac, so you recommend the git clone?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, John Hendy wrote:

> I'd just recommend installing whatever version of emacs you want and
> then install org from git. Dead simple, no confusion about being up to
> date, etc.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development
>

> Best regards,
> John
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> > I had aquaemacs on my mac earlier.  It didn't come with org-mode built
> > in.  I think maybe org-mode 4.54 is included in emacsformacosx if ifo
> > org in terminal mode on my mac mini is any indicator.  I hope this helps
> > somebody.
> >
> > On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, John Hendy wrote:
> >
> >> Google it. Sifting through, however...
> >>
> >> - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1096009/carbon-vs-aqua-vs-cocoa-emacs-builds
> >> - http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS
> >>
> >> I chose gnu emacs. No particular reason, but there was something
> >> psychological about using the same on Linux as well, so I went with
> >> it. I asked this question before and don't think I heard much say one
> >> way or the other.
> >>

> >> John

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26  1:48                     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-04-26  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold, Travis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Urs Rau (UK)

Arnold,

Your mac will be the client and pull off the remote git server.On Mon, 25
Apr 2011, Arnold, Travis wrote:

> On 25 Apr, 2011, at 8:21 PM, John Hendy wrote:
>
> > I'd just recommend installing whatever version of emacs you want and
> > then install org from git. Dead simple, no confusion about being up to
> > date, etc.
> >
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development
> >

> Ok, looking through  that, it seems slightly more complicated then I am currently comfortable with, does this require me to have some sort of server running, or is it a client-server thing, with my mac as the client getting whatever it needs from the repository? Apperently I the other .emacs file someone posted does not work for whatever reason with the defualt emacs in Mac OS X, it lost all formatting, stars, TODO's etc. Am playing around in Aquaemacs for now and the org buttons, are rather nice I admit.
> -Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26  3:34                       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Arnold, Travis, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Urs Rau (UK)

Ok -- it's settled. I was completely unfamiliar with org-mode on OS X
until about a month ago. I'm going to trash my installation, start
over from scratch, and write a beginner's version of setting this up
for OS X.

I'll probably take a week to get around to it, so others can chime in
during the interim (or write their own). I think this thread has shown
that this is heavily needed. The basic process is pretty simple, but I
know first hand that some emacs stuff can be pretty assuming when it
comes to how much knowledge instructions think one has.

In the meantime:
- install [aqua/Carbon] emacs
- install git for os x (I used this:
http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/)
- make a .elisp folder for elisp files
--- open a terminal and type: cd /Users/username
--- mkdir .elisp
--- cd .elisp
--- git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
--- cd org.git
--- make [1]

- I created a default .emacs file
--- download it: https://sites.google.com/site/jwhendytank/home/osx-emacs-config
--- save it as: /Users/username/.emacs
--- note that the config relies on the org stuff being in
/Users/username/.elisp/org.git

- start emacs and cross your fingers

Does that help at all? Just trying to get something on the books to
get everyone going. I realize that the Installation and Activation
instruction pages exist, but for those unfamiliar with emacs, perhaps
we need an "org-mode from scratch" set of pages on Worg for this?
Emacs can have that deer in the headlights effect on some folks (it
did to some extent for me), and if you've never heard of .emacs or .el
files, you can get a bit lost, I think. I'd be happy to start a
skeleton page for this which others could correct at will (I don't
expect my shot at it to be perfect). I've been using it on Linux for
over a year, just got it up on OS X a month or so ago, and will be
doing a fresh install on Windows 7 (new work computer) very shortly,
so steps should be fairly fresh in my mind.

Best regards,
John

[1] Someone can pipe in here, but is this necessary? I only ask
because not everyone with OS X will have installed the Developer Tools
and thus I don't think make will carry out without them. Though I
think one can run org fine with the source files uncompiled, right? I
also left out 'make doc' because I think that requires LaTeX? Or not?

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Arnold,
>
> Your mac will be the client and pull off the remote git server.On Mon, 25
> Apr 2011, Arnold, Travis wrote:
>

>> On 25 Apr, 2011, at 8:21 PM, John Hendy wrote:
>>
>> > I'd just recommend installing whatever version of emacs you want and
>> > then install org from git. Dead simple, no confusion about being up to
>> > date, etc.
>> >
>> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development
>> >

>> Ok, looking through  that, it seems slightly more complicated then I am currently comfortable with, does this require me to have some sort of server running, or is it a client-server thing, with my mac as the client getting whatever it needs from the repository? Apperently I the other .emacs file someone posted does not work for whatever reason with the defualt emacs in Mac OS X, it lost all formatting, stars, TODO's etc. Am playing around in Aquaemacs for now and the org buttons, are rather nice I admit.
>> -Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26  3:38                     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold, Travis; +Cc: Urs Rau (UK), Jude DaShiell, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:

> On 25 Apr, 2011, at 8:21 PM, John Hendy wrote:
>
>> I'd just recommend installing whatever version of emacs you want and
>> then install org from git. Dead simple, no confusion about being up to
>> date, etc.
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development
>>

> Ok, looking through  that, it seems slightly more complicated then I am currently comfortable with, does this require me to have some sort of server running, or is it a client-server thing, with my mac as the client getting whatever it needs from the repository? Apperently I the other .emacs file someone posted does not work for whatever reason with the defualt emacs in Mac OS X, it lost all formatting, stars, TODO's etc. Am playing around in Aquaemacs for now and the org buttons, are rather nice I admit.
> -Travis

Probably just the wording scaring you a bit. Git is simply a protocol
for sharing code. Those who are programming org-mode can work together
on all of the little files that make org-mode work. These files live
on a server, and those of use who use org-mode "pull" (or clone) from
that server. In this way, you can keep your version up to date with
what the coders are doing.

You don't have to have anything running. There's a server that keeps
all of the org-mode program living on it. We, the users, use "git" (a
small program) to interact with that server and download a fresh copy.

Git is smart, though, and after the first long download, every time
you run it afterwards, it only pulls down files that have changed so
that it's much faster afterwards.

Sound good?

John

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26 13:55                         ` Arnold, Travis
From: Arnold, Travis @ 2011-04-26 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Jude DaShiell, Urs Rau (UK)

On 25 Apr, 2011, at 11:34 PM, John Hendy wrote:

> In the meantime:
> - install [aqua/Carbon] emacs
> - install git for os x (I used this:
> http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/)
> - make a .elisp folder for elisp files
> --- open a terminal and type: cd /Users/username
> --- mkdir .elisp
> --- cd .elisp
> --- git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
> --- cd org.git
> --- make [1]
>
> - I created a default .emacs file
> --- download it: https://sites.google.com/site/jwhendytank/home/osx-emacs-config
> --- save it as: /Users/username/.emacs
> --- note that the config relies on the org stuff being in
> /Users/username/.elisp/org.git
>
> - start emacs and cross your fingers

 I will try out the steps you listed, the rest of the message however- about compiling and all, would that in any subsequent walkthroughs?
Your steps seem simple enough, at least for me: I was attracted to Org-mode because in class I get distracted with the webbrowser and all, the simple text helps keep me focused. So anything that can improve the functionality, make it better is welcome. Thank you for your help so far, I will respond with how this next task goes.
-Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26 14:50                           ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold, Travis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Jude DaShiell, Urs Rau (UK)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:

> On 25 Apr, 2011, at 11:34 PM, John Hendy wrote:
>

>> In the meantime:
>> - install [aqua/Carbon] emacs
>> - install git for os x (I used this:
>> http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/)
>> - make a .elisp folder for elisp files
>> --- open a terminal and type: cd /Users/username
>> --- mkdir .elisp
>> --- cd .elisp
>> --- git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
>> --- cd org.git
>> --- make [1]
>>
>> - I created a default .emacs file
>> --- download it: https://sites.google.com/site/jwhendytank/home/osx-emacs-config
>> --- save it as: /Users/username/.emacs
>> --- note that the config relies on the org stuff being in
>> /Users/username/.elisp/org.git
>>
>> - start emacs and cross your fingers
>>
>  I will try out the steps you listed, the rest of the message however- about compiling and all, would that in any subsequent walkthroughs?

Well, compiling is simple enough *if* you have the right tools
installed. Were I to have added those steps, it'd be as simple as:
- cd /Users/username/.elisp/org.git
- type "make"
- type "make doc"

Like I said, though, if you don't have OS X developer tools (gcc)
installed, you won't be able to do "make," and I think that doc might
require LaTeX, but I could be wrong.

> Your steps seem simple enough, at least for me: I was attracted to Org-mode because in class I get distracted with the webbrowser and all, the simple text helps keep me focused. So anything that can improve the functionality, make it better is welcome. Thank you for your help so far, I will respond with how this next task goes.
> -Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26 15:34                       ` Arnold, Travis
From: Arnold, Travis @ 2011-04-26 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Probably just the wording scaring you a bit. Git is simply a protocol
> for sharing code. Those who are programming org-mode can work together
> on all of the little files that make org-mode work. These files live
> on a server, and those of use who use org-mode "pull" (or clone) from
> that server. In this way, you can keep your version up to date with
> what the coders are doing.
>
> You don't have to have anything running. There's a server that keeps
> all of the org-mode program living on it. We, the users, use "git" (a
> small program) to interact with that server and download a fresh copy.
>
> Git is smart, though, and after the first long download, every time
> you run it afterwards, it only pulls down files that have changed so
> that it's much faster afterwards.
>
> Sound good?
>

> John

Ok I did the earlier steps, making the directory .elisp, cd .elisp and then typed out the command starting with git and it said command not found after; this after finding that git osx.dmg from your earlier message. Have I missed a step or need to further change anything before I make the directory?
-Travis

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26 15:49                         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold, Travis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:

> Ok I did the earlier steps, making the directory .elisp, cd .elisp and then
> typed out the command starting with git and it said command not found after;
> this after finding that git osx.dmg from your earlier message. Have I missed
> a step or need to further change anything before I make the directory?
> -Travis

You need to install git via this:
http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/. Look on the left and
download the one for your OS X variant (one of the two at the bottom
of the list: either git-1.7.4.4-i386 or 1.7.4.4-x86_64 if you're
running 64bit Snow Leopard). After you download it and run it, install
it. Since the installer puts everything in /usr/local/git, run this
command:

.---
| /usr/local/git/bin/git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
`---

instead of what I put above. It will run for a fairly long time and
might not give you feedback, so just leave it be until it gives you a
fresh command prompt and stops sitting at "cloning into..." or
whatever the message is.

After that you can should be ready to set up the .emacs file and give
it a whirl.

Best regards,
John

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26 15:54                           ` Arnold, Travis
From: Arnold, Travis @ 2011-04-26 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

To confirm, I run this command from within the .elisp folder? and then I can open Aquamacs and use orgmode?

@ 2011-04-26 16:02                             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold, Travis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:
> To confirm, I run this command from within the .elisp folder? and then I can
> open Aquamacs and use orgmode?

Yes, from inside the .elisp folder.

You haven't said whether or not you have a .emacs file, either, so I
don't know. If you have a .emacs file and it's pointing to the
~/.elisp/org.git, then you're alright.

It doesn't sound like you have much or any experience with emacs. If
that's the case, I hate to say this, but you may be in for quite the
frustrating ride. I only say this as you sound rushed, and learning
emacs/org-mode is not something you'll be able to brute-force your way
into, at least in my opinion.

Take some deep breaths, google around before posting questions, watch
some screen casts [1], print off some emacs cheat sheets [2], and take
it slow.

[1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-screencasts/index.html
[2] http://bit.ly/epdHov

John

@ 2011-04-26 16:03                           ` Arnold, Travis
From: Arnold, Travis @ 2011-04-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> instead of what I put above. It will run for a fairly long time and
> might not give you feedback, so just leave it be until it gives you a
> fresh command prompt and stops sitting at "cloning into..." or
> whatever the message is.
>
> After that you can should be ready to set up the .emacs file and give
> it a whirl.

Ok, I  am looking at the .emacs file in a previosu message, and am slightly confused as to this: line here

;; set load dirs and global config options
;; assumes .elisp directory is in:
;; linux: /home/username/.elisp
;; OX X: /Users/username/.elisp
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")

Do I uncomment the OS X line and replace /Users/username with my own? so it would read:
OS X: /Users/Tmoney/.elisp ?

> Best regards,
> John

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26 16:03 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Travis Arnold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, fatkasuvaya+linux

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Travis Arnold <tarnold01@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you,  I've copied that and have used it to set up things,  though I have a silly question,  how can I update emacs on mac?, looking at the website it appears to just be the tarbell? , Is there an idiot proof walkthrough?

What do you mean "update emacs on mac"?

Just download this (http://emacsformacosx.com/), install it, and you're done.

> -Travis
>

> Travis Arnold
> tarnold01@gmail.com

* Re: Begginer using orgmode
@ 2011-04-26 16:06                             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-04-26 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnold, Travis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Arnold, Travis <tlarnold@radford.edu> wrote:

>> instead of what I put above. It will run for a fairly long time and
>> might not give you feedback, so just leave it be until it gives you a
>> fresh command prompt and stops sitting at "cloning into..." or
>> whatever the message is.
>>
>> After that you can should be ready to set up the .emacs file and give
>> it a whirl.
>

> Ok, I  am looking at the .emacs file in a previosu message, and am slightly confused as to this: line here
>
> ;; set load dirs and global config options
> ;; assumes .elisp directory is in:
> ;; linux: /home/username/.elisp
> ;; OX X: /Users/username/.elisp
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")
>
> Do I uncomment the OS X line and replace /Users/username with my own? so it would read:
> OS X: /Users/Tmoney/.elisp ?

No -- just leave it. It's part of a comment block, which says that if
.elisp is in /Users/username/.elisp, then the next two lines are going
to work.

So... if you have .elisp in /Users/Tmoney/.elisp, then it will work.