From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how to make TAB in agenda cycle the outline
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:13:20 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jun 1, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> I am trying to make TAB in the agenda cycle the node in the other
> window, while keeping point in the agenda (ideally creating the other
> window via SPC if it doesn't already exist).  I am finding it a little
> difficult.  Any tips?

Since TAB is used to go to the location in another window, I would
recommend using SPACE for this purpose:

(add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (define-key org-agenda-keymap " " 'org-agenda-cycle-show)
     (define-key org-agenda-mode-map " " 'org-agenda-cycle-show)))

If you prefer TAB, use

(add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (define-key org-agenda-keymap [tab] 'org-agenda-cycle-show)
     (define-key org-agenda-mode-map [tab] 'org-agenda-cycle-show)))

`org-agenda-cycle-show' does almost, but not quite what org-cycle does.
On first call, it just shows the entry like SPACE would.
Further calls expose more context, including eventually even
the LOGBOOK, before switching back to a folded state.

I wrote this command a while ago and wanted to bind it to
SPC by default,  but something must have stopped me back then.
Maybe, if a few people use this now, we can still decide to do so.

- Carsten

> Thanks.
>
> P.S.  Is there a reason why point is at bob in the agenda?  If not,
> maybe moving it to the first headline would be useful (dired does
> something similar).

In the agenda, the cursor stars out on the date line for TODAY.

- Carsten