From: "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com>
To: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
Cc: Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com>,
	emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: org-latex and figures
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 06:42:38 -1000	[thread overview]

On Jan 28, 2011, at 5:56 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Chris Malone <chris.m.malone@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> I'm inclined to agree with Tom - there is no default that will work
>> in all
>> instances.  That being said, you can use an #ATTR_LATEX line to
>> modify the
>> placement for each image - see here:
>> http://orgmode.org/org.html#Images-in-LaTeX-export
>>
>> Alternatively, (and this is very much a hack, which I can't
>> guarantee will
>> work) you could make the org-mode default behaviour be [ptb] by
>> replacing
>> the =(floatp "[htb]")= line with =(floatp "[ptb]")= in the
>> =org-export-latex-format-image= function definition in the file
>> org/lisp/org-latex.el ... you would have to do something similar to
>> the
>> =org-export-latex-tables= function for tables.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Chris
>
> I'm not understanding something in this whole thread: all the example
> options seem to imply that 'h' and 'p' are somehow exclusive.  I have
> always used [hbtp] (a sequence that essentially says: put the figure
> in
> place as soon as you can), sometimes with and sometimes without '!'
> before the h, and I have never had reason to complain about the
> placement of figures!
>
> Well, for some journals/conferences, I've had to adapt this to [hp] if
> they insist on figures always at the top of a page... but I always
> have
> both h and p options.
>
> Just my two ¢s...

Hi Eric,

Floats are tricky in LaTeX.  The two most frequent problems, in my
experience, are the "all the floats at the end" problem that bit
Andrea and the "small float on its own page" problem.  The first of
these comes from not including [p] and the second comes from including
[p].  I think you have to pick your poison here--there doesn't seem to
be a default that always works perfectly.

If you want to avoid both problems, as I do, then I find the best
default strategy to be [htb!], with [p] used for figures that are
designed specifically to fit the whole page.  What this implies is
that figures are designed to fit the printed page, with a preference
for figures that are short and wide and a strong aversion to figures
that are tall and narrow (except, perhaps, with two-column layouts,
which have their own drawbacks).

For figures at the top of a page, you probably want [tp] rather than
[hp], since [h] will let a figure start anywhere in happens to fall on
the page.

All the best,
Tom