* Re: Change resolution of LaTeX formulas in HTML output?
@ 2010-08-05 16:06 amscopub-mail
From: amscopub-mail @ 2010-08-05 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the reply.

What version of org-mode is that defined in? I'm using 7.01g.

When I bring up org-format-latex-options, it doesn't define that variable in the documentation. Setting the variable doesn't seem to do anything. The PNG files are always 72 x 72 ppi.

I tried setting it to this:

:html-resolution 90
:html-resolution 300

but to no avail.

--Uriel

@ 2010-08-06 19:39 amscopub-mail
From: amscopub-mail @ 2010-08-06 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just tripped over myself :-) After reading this excellent discussion of dpi (http://www.danheller.com/tech-dpi.html ), I think the problem might just be dvipng. The "problem" is that while the PNGs look good on the screen, they look horrible in the printer. I tried creating some PNGs with with dpi's of 1000. The images were very pixelated. If you print such a low quality image, it will look horrible, no matter how high the dpi.

I tried using the Q switch but that didn't seem to do anything. Maybe there is some type of combination of switches that produces better quality PNGs? Or an alternative program that does the same thing?

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 07:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
Uri Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Carsten, we are trying to increase the resolution of the images for *print* (ppi or dpi) while keeping the image the size on the web page. (As I wrote in the first email, I'm generating an HTML file with LaTeX pngs and then converting that to a PDF.)
>
> Unfortunately, the html-scale and scale options by themselves do *not* get the job done.
>
> Anyhow, this has been done before in Twiki. Check out the "rendering options" in this page:
>
> https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/TWiki/LatexModePlugin
>
> The way this plugin gets LaTeX pngs of 300 ppi (without an increase in screen size) is by simultaneously increasing the resolution and *decreasing* the html-scale.
>
> Just tried that approach with :html-scale .25 and :html-resolution 300 but with *no* noticeable increase in quality.
>
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:46:28 +0200
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I've implemented this.
> >
> > I would not think that we need this change, the :scale and :html-scale
> > parameters do this for in-buffer display and html formatting,
> > respectively.
> >
> > Please revert this change.
> >
> > - Carsten
> >

> --
> --Thanks!
> Uriel

--Thanks!
Uriel

* Re: Change resolution of LaTeX formulas in HTML output?
@ 2010-08-06 15:17 amscopub-mail
From: amscopub-mail @ 2010-08-06 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten, we are trying to increase the resolution of the images for *print* (ppi or dpi) while keeping the image the size on the web page. (As I wrote in the first email, I'm generating an HTML file with LaTeX pngs and then converting that to a PDF.)

Unfortunately, the html-scale and scale options by themselves do *not* get the job done.

Anyhow, this has been done before in Twiki. Check out the "rendering options" in this page:

https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/TWiki/LatexModePlugin

The way this plugin gets LaTeX pngs of 300 ppi (without an increase in screen size) is by simultaneously increasing the resolution and *decreasing* the html-scale.

Just tried that approach with :html-scale .25 and :html-resolution 300 but with *no* noticeable increase in quality. I think :html-scale actually changes the size of the file. In the twiki plugin, html-scale changes the size of the file *in the HTML* only.

--
--Thanks!
Uriel

* Re: Change resolution of LaTeX formulas in HTML output?
@ 2010-08-06 14:05 Uri Avalos
From: Uri Avalos @ 2010-08-06 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

--
--Thanks!
Uriel

* Change resolution of LaTeX formulas in HTML output?
@ 2010-08-04 17:00 amscopub-mail
From: amscopub-mail @ 2010-08-04 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to control the resolution of PNG LaTeX formulas when you export to HTML?

You can control the font size directly in the header but there doesn't seem to be a way to use org-mode to control the resolution...

BTW, I'm not exporting to LaTeX directly because I'm using PrinceXML to convert the HTML file to a PDF.

--Uriel