From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion with bad patch for org-remember-templates
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 19:41:09 +0100	[thread overview]

On Jan 5, 2009, at 5:31 PM, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> CD> I think it would be better not to use the remember buffer for
> this,
> CD> but another, dedicated, temporary buffer.
>
> Why would it matter though?  You're already opening and displaying
> it...  Granted, you could stop doing that.
>
> The only benefit to using another buffer is if the person canceled the
> request (ctrl-g) in mid-selection then the original contents of the
> remember buffer would be unaltered.

There are more reasons why it matters.

It is possible to make setup that will pop up the remember
buffer in a different/new frame, but you might still want to
have the template selection in your current frame.  Also, it
is allowed to call org-remember again in an existing remember
buffer, to apply a new template to the existing context.

Most of all, it is much cleaner this way.  A dispatcher splash
screen is by definition a one-off temporary buffer.  Creating
and displaying temporary buffer is very cheap and easily done,
and it is the standard way to do this kind of stuff.

I have reasonably strong feelings about this, because at the
beginning of my career, I did work with legacy computer codes
which where done in the old days when dynamic allocation was
not possible and computer memory was small, so people would
write programs where the same vector was used for different
purposes, in different locations of the program... :-)

> --
> "In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap,
> and much more difficult to find."  -- Terry Pratchett

I do love this citation in your signature......

- Carsten