* different result in spreadsheet tutorial
@ 2010-09-14 12:15 Stuart McLean
From: Stuart McLean @ 2010-09-14 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am just beginning to learn org-mode's spreadsheet with the tutorial
here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-spreadsheet-intro.php

However, when I type C-c C-c on the TBLFM line below

| Student  | Maths | Physics | Mean |
|----------+-------+---------+------|
| Bertrand |    13 |      09 |   11 |
| Henri    |    15 |      14 | 14.5 |
| Arnold   |    17 |      13 |   15 |
|----------+-------+---------+------|
| Means    |    15 |      12 |      |
#+TBLFM: $4=vmean($2..$3)::@5$2=vmean(@2$2..@4$2)::@5$3=vmean(@2$3..@4$3)

I get 13.5 in D5. I assume $4=vmean($2..$3) is being computed for this
row as well. Am I doing something wrong?

Please excuse if this has been covered earlier in the newsgroup

Thanks,

Stuart

* Re: different result in spreadsheet tutorial
@ 2010-09-14 12:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-14 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart McLean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 14, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Stuart McLean wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am just beginning to learn org-mode's spreadsheet with the tutorial
> here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-spreadsheet-intro.php
>
> However, when I type C-c C-c on the TBLFM line below
>

> | Student  | Maths | Physics | Mean |
> |----------+-------+---------+------|
> | Bertrand |    13 |      09 |   11 |
> | Henri    |    15 |      14 | 14.5 |
> | Arnold   |    17 |      13 |   15 |
> |----------+-------+---------+------|
> | Means    |    15 |      12 |      |
> #+TBLFM:
> $4=vmean($2..$3)::@5$2=vmean(@2$2..@4$2)::@5$3=vmean(@2$3..@4$3)
>

> I get 13.5 in D5. I assume $4=vmean($2..$3) is being computed for this
> row as well.

Yes, this is how column formulas work.

You can either use field formulas for the three fields, or you can
overwrite the corner field with

    @5$4=string("")

HTH

- Carsten

> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Please excuse if this has been covered earlier in the newsgroup
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stuart

- Carsten