* Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-15 21:33 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-05-15 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello list,

I'd like to do a little modification to the code that grabs the summary of
items for the agenda view. For each item that has a parent with a PROJECT
type, I'd like org to render this parent in a hierarchical, tree way, like
this:.

Let's say I search for a specific item using a regexp. This item has three
parents, which all are PROJECTS, it would show like this:

PROJECT My project
    PROJECT My sub-project
        PROJECT My sub-sub-project
            *NEXT Call Liz to check if the account has been created*
:@call:@work:

So,  searched for Liz and got this specific item, but org then would give me
more context, showing me to which project it belongs to. Not sure if it's
already possible, but if not, would be a great addition to support the GTD
system, IMO :)

Thanks!

Marcelo.

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-16 15:11 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-16 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 15, 2009, at 11:33 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'd like to do a little modification to the code that grabs the
> summary of items for the agenda view. For each item that has a
> parent with a PROJECT type, I'd like org to render this parent in a
> hierarchical, tree way, like this:.
>
> Let's say I search for a specific item using a regexp. This item has
> three parents, which all are PROJECTS, it would show like this:
>

> PROJECT My project
>    PROJECT My sub-project
>        PROJECT My sub-sub-project
>            NEXT Call Liz to check if the account has been
> created   :@call:@work:
>
> So,  searched for Liz and got this specific item, but org then would
> give me more context, showing me to which project it belongs to. Not
> sure if it's already possible, but if not, would be a great addition
> to support the GTD system, IMO :)

The purpose of the flat agenda list is to be compact, and what
you want would defeat that purpose.

If you are working with a single file, a sparse tree
might be the best alternative.  If not, you could give
follow mode in the agenda a try.

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-17 20:58   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-17 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am having a similar problem as Marcelo...
However, in order to keep the agenda flat I only want the parent PROJECT
headline (the inner most) to be the prefix.
In his example this would be the following:

My-sub-sub-project *NEXT Call Liz RE: account creation             *
:@call:@work:

The problem is that I did not yet find out how I can get the <*parent
project headline*> (in this case: *my-sub-sub-project*) as *agenda prefix*.

Until this is solved I rewrite the project name for all todo-headlines in
the project.

Greetings,
Eraldo

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-17 21:25     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-05-17 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eraldo Helal <admin@eraldo.at> writes:

> I am having a similar problem as Marcelo...
> However, in order to keep the agenda flat I only want the parent
> PROJECT headline (the inner most) to be the prefix.
> In his example this would be the following:
>
> My-sub-sub-project NEXT Call Liz RE: account creation
> :@call:@work:
>
> The problem is that I did not yet find out how I can get the <parent
> project headline> (in this case: my-sub-sub-project) as agenda prefix.

Why not use categories for this? You could define a category for each
project:

** Some Project
   :PROPERTIES:
   :CATEGORY: special project
   :END:
*** TODO Testing

Would show up in the agenda as:

  special project:TODO Testing

- Matt

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-17 22:18       ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-17 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 23:25, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> Why not use categories for this? You could define a category for each
> project:

> ** Some Project
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :CATEGORY: special project
>   :END:
> *** TODO Testing
>
> Would show up in the agenda as:

>  special project:TODO Testing

Sounds line a good idea, but:...
Doubts:
1. I would have to set that prop for each project headline. // a lot of work
2. It is prone to "errors" > renaming the project does not rename the
context, etc.

Thank's for the feedback,
Eraldo

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-18  2:07         ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-05-18  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eraldo Helal <admin@eraldo.at> writes:

> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 23:25, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>
>     Why not use categories for this? You could define a category for
>     each
>     project:
>
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     ** Some Project
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :CATEGORY: special project
>       :END:
>     *** TODO Testing
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>     Would show up in the agenda as:
>
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>      special project:TODO Testing
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Sounds line a good idea, but:...
> Doubts:
> 1. I would have to set that prop for each project headline. // a lot of
> work

More work than adding the project name to each todo by hand, as your
original post proposed?

> 2. It is prone to "errors" > renaming the project does not rename the
> context, etc.

In my opinion, the easiest way to figure out which project a TODO
belongs to is to use follow mode in the agenda. That way you can see the
original context (i.e., project) to which a todo belongs.

- Matt

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-18  9:18           ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-18  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 04:07, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> In my opinion, the easiest way to figure out which project a TODO
> belongs to is to use follow mode in the agenda. That way you can see the
> original context (i.e., project) to which a todo belongs.

This works great for working with the agenda!
It does not for printing the agenda buffer...
there I would still wish for having the parent project headline as prefix.

Greetings,
Eraldo

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-18 15:52             ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-05-18 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The follow-mode works fine, and this is what I use currently, but usually
the item doesn't have data that tells clearly what it's parent item is. It'd
be nice to have this overview, in the flat form -- like Eraldo said, if
you'd like to print or just have a 10.000 feet view of the actions.

I'm not sure how hard would it be to do that, but I'm willing to do if you
experiences org-moders/elispers put me in the right direction :) -- I'm in
the process of learning elisp!

Marcelo.

@ 2009-05-18 16:21           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-05-18 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I recall that there was a variable that controls whether dots get put
into the agenda line to show that it is a child of the previous agenda
line, or something like that.

Might possibly work if you include the parent?

What was the name of that variable anyway?

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 19:07, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> Eraldo Helal <admin@eraldo.at> writes:
>
>> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 23:25, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>>
>>     Why not use categories for this? You could define a category for
>>     each
>>     project:
>>
>>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>     ** Some Project
>>       :PROPERTIES:
>>       :CATEGORY: special project
>>       :END:
>>     *** TODO Testing
>>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>>     Would show up in the agenda as:
>>
>>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>      special project:TODO Testing
>>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> Sounds line a good idea, but:...
>> Doubts:
>> 1. I would have to set that prop for each project headline. // a lot of
>> work
>
> More work than adding the project name to each todo by hand, as your
> original post proposed?
>
>> 2. It is prone to "errors" > renaming the project does not rename the
>> context, etc.
>
> In my opinion, the easiest way to figure out which project a TODO
> belongs to is to use follow mode in the agenda. That way you can see the
> original context (i.e., project) to which a todo belongs.
>
> - Matt

Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe suffering
worse than MS.  Conflicts of interest are destroying research.  /You/ can
get the disease at any time permanently.  Do science and justice matter to
you?  Posters: http://www.mefreeforall.org/fileadmin/PDFs/ME_Awareness_Posters_2009.pdf
Overview: http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-18 22:01             ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-18 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 18:21, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall that there was a variable that controls whether dots get put
> into the agenda line to show that it is a child of the previous agenda
> line, or something like that.
>
> Might possibly work if you include the parent?

I remember having seen those dots in the agenda some time
So, what you are suggesting is inserting the headline istead of just the
dot?
That would be awesome if that could be done!

Greetings,
Eraldo

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-18 22:16               ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-05-18 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

No, just a workaround of inserting both the parent and the child and
letting the dots tell you the relationship between them.

But perhaps I am not following the thread closely enough.

--

@ 2009-05-18 22:47                 ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-18 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 00:16, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, just a workaround of inserting both the parent and the child and
> letting the dots tell you the relationship between them.

How?
I would have to show all Project headlines in order to make this work...
However, I only want the parent of my ACTION (keyword) headlines... not all
projects.
And it would waste waaay to much space on my daily-printed-out-agenda.

I am looking for something like this format:

Org-file:

* PROJECT *My-project
*** PROJECT *My-sub-project*
*** PROJECT *My-sub-sub-project*
**** *NEXT** Clean garage*    :home:

Agenda-output:

*My-sub-sub-project* *NEXT Clean garage    *:home:

This is my most-wanted feature atm. :)

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-18 23:01                   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-18 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I had the idea of using CATEGORY as a keyword.

Benefit:

using #+CATEGORY (or the CATEGORY property)
has the disadvantage that if I change the headline the category does not
update:
example:

Org-file:
* PROJECT *my_renamed_project1*
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: *myproject1*
  :END:
** TODO clean garage    :home:
Agenda-output:
*myproject1* TODO *clean garage*    :home:

In this example the Agenda should show "*my_renamed_project1"* instead of "*
myproject1*"

The next step would then be to enable the user to define this
CATEGORY-keyword or bind it's function to an existing keyword. (e.g.
PROJECT)

If there is a simpler way of getting the partent headline as
agenda-prefix... > that would be even cooler and much less work I can
imagine.

Greetings from Austria,
Eraldo

@ 2009-05-19  3:01   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-05-19  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

  > On May 15, 2009, at 11:33 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
  >
  >> Hello list,
  >>
  >> I'd like to do a little modification to the code that grabs the
  >> summary of items for the agenda view. For each item that has a
  >> parent with a PROJECT type, I'd like org to render this parent in
  >> a hierarchical, tree way, like this:.
  >>
  >> Let's say I search for a specific item using a regexp. This item
  >> has three parents, which all are PROJECTS, it would show like
  >> this:
  >>

  >> PROJECT My project
  >>  PROJECT My sub-project
  >>    PROJECT My sub-sub-project
  >>      NEXT Call Liz to check if the account has been created
  >> :@call:@work:
  >>
  >> So, searched for Liz and got this specific item, but org then
  >> would give me more context, showing me to which project it
  >> belongs to. Not sure if it's already possible, but if not, would
  >> be a great addition to support the GTD system, IMO :)
  >
  > The purpose of the flat agenda list is to be compact, and what you
  > want would defeat that purpose.
  >
  > If you are working with a single file, a sparse tree might be the
  > best alternative. If not, you could give follow mode in the agenda
  > a try.

Follow mode is fit for the purpose when you are _in_ Emacs but when
you want to print and take your lists along then missing context can
be confusing.  Would it be possible to encode the task hierarchy into
the task display like so:

,----[ sample tree ]
`----

,----[ sample todo list ]
|    TODO Take over the world/Make a plan/Print a trillion dollars
| or TODO Print a trillion dollars [Take over the world/Make a plan]
| or [Take over the world/Make a plan] TODO Print a trillion dollars
| or TODO [Take over the world/Make a plan] Print a trillion dollars
| or TODO Print a trillion dollars\Make a plan\Take over the world
`----

Personally I prefer the last one most.  The number of characters added
from each node, and/or the numbers of nodes added and/or the total
length of todo item in agenda can be made configurable to limit the
length of the agenda lines.

At present, some of us try to be more descriptive when defining a task
so as to identify the context from the task alone.  If this is
implemented, we can try to be succinct instead.

Of course, I do not know elisp nor do I understand Org internals so
the idea might just be nonsense from an implementation perspective.

Manish

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-19 15:48     ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-19 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 05:01, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, I do not know elisp nor do I understand Org internals so
> the idea might just be nonsense from an implementation perspective.

Nonsense or not.... I like the idea a lot!

It would be of great help to me.

personally I would only need one parent (the inner most) headline.
In your example that would the following:
Make a plan TODO Print a trillion dollars
but
[Take over the world/Make a plan] TODO Print a trillion dollars
is even better if the level can be customized and the order reversed.

The agenda has a prefix by default... maybe that could be/get used.

Greetings from Austria,
Eraldo

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-19 21:27       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-05-19 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Wow, didn't think this observation would generate so much buzz :) Great to
know other org-mode users feel the need for it too.

Another aspect is that when you archive and item (when it's DONE) it's nice
to know it's context. If you have a NEXT ACTION that belongs to a project
and this specific NA is already DONE, if you archive it you'll loose
context. (you might want to data mine the archive file later, never knows
:)).

Anyway, as you could note, these additions are GTD-specific, since I'm a
GTD-proponent. And org-mode was so far the best system to implement GTD
after plain paper.

Maybe we could create a GTD extension to org-mode? I'd love to help in the
development, but I have no idea on how the code is structured and or how
easy is to add / modify current features (coupling, plugin model, etc). Is
there any document that explains it?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

@ 2009-05-19 22:06         ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-19 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

My wording!
You seem to have found a comrade.
I would further suggest getting in touch (apart from the mailing list and
exchanging ideas and current setup).

@ 2009-05-19 22:29         ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-05-19 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Another aspect is that when you archive and item (when it's DONE) it's
> nice to know it's context. If you have a NEXT ACTION that belongs to a
> project and this specific NA is already DONE, if you archive it you'll
> loose context. (you might want to data mine the archive file later,
> never knows :)).

Org-mode already can save context info as properties. See the variable
org-archive-save-context-info.

,----[From 2.6.2 in the Manual]
`----

> Maybe we could create a GTD extension to org-mode? I'd love to help in
> the development, but I have no idea on how the code is structured and
> or how easy is to add / modify current features (coupling, plugin
> model, etc). Is there any document that explains it?

In your view, what aspects of GTD are not yet possible within org-mode?
It seems to me that org-mode offers the ability to implement everything
in GTD (contexts, natural project planning, calendar, multiple views of
the same data, etc). How exactly one implements GTD, of course, is up to
the user.

As a place to start customizing, I would recommend creating custom
agenda commands. This tutorial offers some custom commands for use with
GTD:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php

And, of course, there is Charles Cave's excellent tutorial on
implementing GTD in org-mode:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php

Hope this helps,

Matt

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-19 22:55           ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 00:29, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> Org-mode already can save context info as properties. See the variable
> org-archive-save-context-info.

I do not have this variable (Org-Version:"6.26trans").

Eraldo

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-19 23:06             ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-05-19 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Eraldo,

Good to know that! I definetly would like to get in touch with you with more
time to discuss it. Meanwhile, Carsten (or any other org-savvy developer)
could point us into the right direction on which is the best way to start
hacking org (towards makeing extensions for it).

I have many, many pragmatic ideas/twists (note the pragmatic, I don't want
bloat!) for improving the GTD workflow with org. What is already excellent
could be the perfect GTD implementation for you, and me, and everyone :)

I will gather them and share them with you soon.

Btw, you gotta read the new "Making it All Work" book, awesome!

Marcelo.

@ 2009-05-20  1:52             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-20  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Eraldo Helal <admin@eraldo.at> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 00:29, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>
> > Org-mode already can save context info as properties. See the variable
> > org-archive-save-context-info.
>
> I do not have this variable (Org-Version:"6.26trans").

You probably need to load org-archive.el[c] first (or use an archive
command that will autoload that file): the variable is defined there.

HTH,
Nick

org-archive-save-context-info is a variable defined in `org-archive.el'.
Its value is
(time file olpath category todo itags)

Documentation:
Parts of context info that should be stored as properties when archiving.
When a subtree is moved to an archive file, it loses information given by
context, like inherited tags, the category, and possibly also the TODO
state (depending on the variable `org-archive-mark-done').
This variable can be a list of any of the following symbols:

time       The time of archiving.
file       The file where the entry originates.
ltags      The local tags, in the headline of the subtree.
itags      The tags the subtree inherits from further up the hierarchy.
todo       The pre-archive TODO state.
category   The category, taken from file name or #+CATEGORY lines.
olpath     The outline path to the item.  These are all headlines above
           the current item, separated by /, like a file path.

For each symbol present in the list, a property will be created in
the archived entry, with a prefix "PRE_ARCHIVE_", to remember this
information.

You can customize this variable.

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-20  4:20         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-05-20  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Wow, didn't think this observation would generate so much buzz :) Great to
> know other org-mode users feel the need for it too.
>
> Another aspect is that when you archive and item (when it's DONE) it's nice
> to know it's context. If you have a NEXT ACTION that belongs to a project
> and this specific NA is already DONE, if you archive it you'll loose
> context. (you might want to data mine the archive file later, never knows
> :)).

Err.  I only meant to encode the hierarchy for agenda display
purposes.  So the TODO items themselves remain untouched.  As Matthew
already pointed out there are already ways to save context when
archiving.

--
Manish

* Re: Show parent PROJECTS for an item
@ 2009-05-20  4:52               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-20  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 20, 2009, at 1:06 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:

> Eraldo,
>
> Good to know that! I definetly would like to get in touch with you
> with more time to discuss it. Meanwhile, Carsten (or any other org-
> savvy developer) could point us into the right direction on which is
> the best way to start hacking org (towards makeing extensions for it).

http://orgmode.org/manual/Hacking.html#Hacking

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/index.php

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-hooks.php

For example extensions, see