* checkbox problem
@ 2009-06-16 18:54 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2009-06-16 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aloha all,

First, org-mode is really useful.  The more I use it, the more useful
it gets and the more I appreciate its flexibility.  I've been using it
for several months but still feel like a newbie.  Perhaps the problem
I'm having stems from this.

I use the checkbox feature a lot, with good effect, like this:

*** Task 1 [/]
	- [ ] Step 1
	- [ ] Step 2
	- [ ] Step 3

Recently, I received via email comments from 4 reviewers on a paper
I'd submitted for publication.  The editor asked me to keep track of
how I'd responded to all of the comments, so I tried this:

*** Reviewer 1 [/]
	- [ ] Comment 1
	- [ ] Comment 2
etc.

I cut the comments out of the email message and pasted them directly
into the org file in Aquamacs Emacs.  Some of the comments are quite
lengthy, others are short.

My problem is that midway down a list of comments org-mode ceases to
recognize that the comment checkboxes are associated with the
heading.  In each case, the last comment checkbox that is correctly
associated with the heading formats differently (with Esc-Q) than the
comments above it.  The comment checkboxes that are associated
correctly format as indented blocks with the second and subsequent
lines of text left justified on the "[" of the first line.  The last
associated checkbox justifies the second and subsequent lines two
characters left of the "-" of the first line.  Subsequent,
unassociated checkboxes align the "-" of the first line with last line
of the item above it.  Here is an example:

*** Reviewer 3 [2/6]

... (Several items omitted)

     - [X] p. 7 In 1779, Kamehameha was a young man on his way up as a
       favored nephew of Kalaniopu`u, but isn't it a little early to
       refer to his dynasty?
     - [X] p. 7 It is true Kamehameha benefited greatly from Western
   advice and weapons, but the tradition of conquest was well
   established by the time he embarked on his career as a conqueror by
   chiefs including Kalaniopu`u, and especially Kahekili.
   - [X] p. 7 According to traditions 'Umi's father had been recognized
     as paramount of the island.  `Umi regained his father's status by
     putting down a rebellion of the five districts other than Hamakua
     and reunited the polity.  I think of this as a civil war rather
     than the capture of territory to which he had no previous claim.

In this case the first two items are counted in the headline, but the
last one isn't.

If someone could point out what might be going wrong, I'll appreciate
it.

All the best,
Tom

Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
Phone: (808) 529-0866 Fax: (808) 529-0884
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: checkbox problem
@ 2009-06-19  6:54 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-06-19  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
  > Aloha all,
  > First, org-mode is really useful. The more I use it, the more useful it
  > gets and the more I appreciate its flexibility. I've been using it for
  > several months but still feel like a newbie. Perhaps the problem I'm having
  > stems from this.
  > I use the checkbox feature a lot, with good effect, like this:
  > *** Task 1 [/]
  > - [ ] Step 1
  > - [ ] Step 2
  > - [ ] Step 3
  >
  > Recently, I received via email comments from 4 reviewers on a paper I'd
  > submitted for publication. The editor asked me to keep track of how I'd
  > responded to all of the comments, so I tried this:
  > *** Reviewer 1 [/]
  > - [ ] Comment 1
  > - [ ] Comment 2
  > etc.
  > I cut the comments out of the email message and pasted them directly into
  > the org file in Aquamacs Emacs. Some of the comments are quite lengthy,
  > others are short.
  > My problem is that midway down a list of comments org-mode ceases to
  > recognize that the comment checkboxes are associated with the heading. In
  > each case, the last comment checkbox that is correctly associated with the
  > heading formats differently (with Esc-Q) than the comments above it. The
  > comment checkboxes that are associated correctly format as indented blocks
  > with the second and subsequent lines of text left justified on the "[" of
  > the first line. The last associated checkbox justifies the second and
  > subsequent lines two characters left of the "-" of the first line.
  > Subsequent, unassociated checkboxes align the "-" of the first line with
  > last line of the item above it. Here is an example:
  >
  > *** Reviewer 3 [2/6]
  > ... (Several items omitted)
  >  - [X] p. 7 In 1779, Kamehameha was a young man on his way up as a
  >   favored nephew of Kalaniopu`u, but isn't it a little early to
  >   refer to his dynasty?
  >  - [X] p. 7 It is true Kamehameha benefited greatly from Western
  > advice and weapons, but the tradition of conquest was well
  > established by the time he embarked on his career as a conqueror by
  > chiefs including Kalaniopu`u, and especially Kahekili.
  > - [X] p. 7 According to traditions 'Umi's father had been recognized
  >  as paramount of the island. `Umi regained his father's status by
  >  putting down a rebellion of the five districts other than Hamakua
  >  and reunited the polity. I think of this as a civil war rather
  >  than the capture of territory to which he had no previous claim.
  > In this case the first two items are counted in the headline, but the last
  > one isn't.

It behaves as expected if you keep the lines below checkboxes indented
at least one character right to the "-" above them.  I find it
unsettling when lines/checkboxes are formatted with indentation jutting
to the left, so I never use it personally.  Moreover, if you paste a
long time against a checkbox and format it with Esc-Q (I find ALT-q
easier), it is formatted correctly so as not to cause the problem you
described.

Following example behaves fine.

,----
| *** Reviewer 3 [4/5]
|
| ... (Several items omitted)
|
|     - [X] p. 7 In 1779, Kamehameha was a young man on his way up as a
|       favored nephew of Kalaniopu`u, but isn't it a little early to
|       refer to his dynasty?
|     - [X] p. 7 It is true Kamehameha benefited greatly from Western
|           advice and weapons, but the tradition of conquest was well
|           established by the time he embarked on his career as a
|           conqueror by chiefs including Kalaniopu`u, and especially
|           Kahekili.
|     - [ ] kjsvhkjshvjk slv lsk jvjlk jvlks jvlkj slkvj slkv jlksj
|      fvkls jlvkj flkjv lksjf vlksj vlks jlkv jslkvj lksv jlks jvls jv
|      lksfjvlksjvlkdjskl
|     - [X] p. 7 According to traditions 'Umi's father had been
|       recognized as paramount of the island.  `Umi regained his
|       father's status by putting down a rebellion of the five
|       districts other than Hamakua and reunited the polity.  I think
|       of this as a civil war rather than the capture of territory to
|       which he had no previous claim.
|     - [X] jkhfkuwhkfh wkrh fkjwehtkjherkgh woe ghoi2h giw htig hil2
|       hgowttwhet tgh rltig hl4 ghl2 h5li hlti h245t hil h4wlg h42ot
|       h54 htou h5
`----

There must be a technical requirement for indentation to behave as it
does since Org uses indentation extensively to determine appropriate
behavior.  May be someone knowledgeable about Org internals can shed more
light.

HTH
--
Manish

* Re: checkbox problem
@ 2009-06-19  8:36 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thomas,

Lists depend entirely on indentation.

Sidenote:

For long mails and similar texts I use a drawer:

  (setq org-drawers (quote ("PROPERTIES" "CLOCK" "PHONE" "EMAIL"
    "REMAIL" "HIDDEN" "LOGBOOK")))

:EMAIL: and :REMAIL: are the ones I use for mails from and to
customers.

  Sebastian

* Re: checkbox problem
@ 2009-06-19 17:58   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-06-19 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas S. Dye

Interesting.

Just as a brainstorm, I wonder if there is a block that could achieve
the same effect?  Or, perhaps, if indentation that looks like the
following could be handled automatically?

  - item
    - subitem
this is stuff pasted flush left.  we know that it is a body because
there is no blank line between subitem and "this is stuff".

this is another paragraph of the body  we know that it is still part
of the body because it is followed by a subitem and there is no blank
line after it.  this is a little kludgey and maybe there is a better
solution.
    - this is another subitem that terminates the plain list item above.

Perhaps this was already considered?

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 01:36, Sebastian Rose<sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> [...]
>>       favored nephew of Kalaniopu`u, but isn't it a little early to
>>       refer to his dynasty?
>>     - [X] p. 7 It is true Kamehameha benefited greatly from Western
>>   advice and weapons, but the tradition of conquest was well
>>   established by the time he embarked on his career as a conqueror by
>>   chiefs including Kalaniopu`u, and especially Kahekili.
>>   - [X] p. 7 According to traditions 'Umi's father had been recognized
>>     as paramount of the island.  `Umi regained his father's status by
>>     putting down a rebellion of the five districts other than Hamakua
>>     and reunited the polity.  I think of this as a civil war rather
>>     than the capture of territory to which he had no previous claim.
>>
>> In this case the first two items are counted in the headline, but the last one
>> isn't.
>>
>> If someone could point out what might be going wrong, I'll appreciate it.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe suffering,
worse than MS.  Conflicts of interest are destroying research.  /You/ can
get the disease at any time permanently.  Do science and justice matter to
you?  http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: checkbox problem
@ 2009-06-20 19:33     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-20 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

I am quite convinced that only indentation should be used to determine
list structure.  I believe the solution to the problem would be a yank
function
that would adapt the indentation...

- Carsten