* mobile org capable devices
@ 2009-11-24  7:16 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2009-11-24  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am interested in using mobile org.
I currently use an ancient nokia phone because I was never sure what
feature set I wanted.
Mobileorg may well be the app that pushes me to upgrade  but to what??

The mobileorg site seems to say that this works for iphones - period
Whereas the org-mobile.el has the following comment
;; The code is not specific for the iPhone, however.
;; Any external viewer/flagging/editing application that uses the same
;; conventions could be used
It would be nice to list somewhere ein more or less generic terms what
kind of phones can sync with mobileorg

Thanks

Rustom

* Re: mobile org capable devices
@ 2009-11-24 12:41 ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2009-11-24 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rustom,

On Nov 24, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in using mobile org.
> I currently use an ancient nokia phone because I was never sure what
> feature set I wanted.
> Mobileorg may well be the app that pushes me to upgrade  but to what??

As you saw, MobileOrg is limited to iPhone/iPod Touch.  There has been some stirring to look into an Android version, but nothing has come of that yet.

Other folks are running Emacs either natively on their phones or ssh'ing into a remote host and running Emacs.  I can't speak to the effectiveness of this, having not tried it myself, but the recent speed keys support in Org has apparently made this a bit more usable.

> The mobileorg site seems to say that this works for iphones - period
> Whereas the org-mobile.el has the following comment
> ;; The code is not specific for the iPhone, however.
> ;; Any external viewer/flagging/editing application that uses the same
> ;; conventions could be used
> It would be nice to list somewhere ein more or less generic terms what
> kind of phones can sync with mobileorg

This code is meant to be reused when an app similar to MobileOrg is built on another platform.  The new author can reuse the Emacs integration code (org-mobile-*) that Carsten wrote.  His goal was to write that once, not once per mobile application that springs up.

Hope this helps,
Richard