* BUG:  Problems with LaTeX exporting of ^ and _
@ 2008-10-17  5:33 Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2008-10-17  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Consider the following simple org file:
-- start org file --

* This is a test
   - This is a super^script
   - This is a sub_script
-- end org file --

If I export this to HTML, as expected I get this (relevant portion
only):
<ul>
<li>
This is a super^script
</li>
<li>
This is a sub_script
</li>
</ul>

But, if I export to LaTeX, I surprisingly get this:
\begin{itemize}
\item This is a $super^{script}$
\item This is a $sub_{script}$
\end{itemize}

I would expect no superscript and no subscript because I didn't use
braces and I have ^:{} in my OPTIONS line.

Things get plain weird if I use braces in the first item, so my org
file is now this:
-- start org file --

* This is a test
   - This is a super^{s}cript
   - This is a sub_script
-- end org file --

HTML output in this case is still what I'd expect:
<ul>
<li>
This is a super<sup>s</sup>cript
</li>
<li>
This is a sub_script
</li>
</ul>

But the LaTeX output is not at all what I'd expect:
\begin{itemize}
\item This is a $super^{s}$cript
\item This is a sub_script
\end{itemize}

Note that now the second item has changed in latex even though it
didn't change in the org file.  Plus it actually throws an error in
latex because there is no equation environment and no escape of the
underscore.  The first item is also a problem because the equation
environment splits in a strange place, causing fonts to get mixed.
Ideally, it should be
\item This is a $\mbox{super}^{\mbox{\scriptsize{s}}}$cript
but I'd settle for this
\item This is a $super^{s}cript$

Dan

* RE: BUG:  Problems with LaTeX exporting of ^ and _
@ 2008-10-17 13:22 Sullivan, Gregory (US SSA)
From: Sullivan, Gregory (US SSA) @ 2008-10-17 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder, Org Mode List

As far as:

Ideally, it should be
\item This is a $\mbox{super}^{\mbox{\scriptsize{s}}}$cript
but I'd settle for this
\item This is a $super^{s}cript$

I agree that it should be the first (using mbox).  The second is just
wrong, as it uses math mode spacing for each letter.

Possibly a simpler way to accomplish this is

\item This is a super${}^{s}$cript

--Greg

--
Gregory T. Sullivan, Ph.D.
BAE Systems Advanced Information Technologies

@ 2008-10-17 17:36 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-17 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sullivan, Gregory (US SSA); +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Daniel and Greg,

I believe I have fixed these issues.  I am not entirely sure though if
I do understand Bastien's code well enough.  Please test and report
back.

One addition I have made:  If the sub/superscript is a single char, it
it typeset in the normal math italic.  If it is longer, it is typeset
in roman.  If someone needs an explanation for this convention, ask,
and I will explain.

- Carsten