* Latest Org and Carbon Emacs
@ 2009-07-09 20:27 Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2009-07-09 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Until now I used Org with Debian GNU/Linux. Today I bought a MacBook Pro
13" and I spent the evening making my first steps with MacOS. I
installed the Carbon Emacs package and configured Emacs to use the
latest Org-Version that I copied to ~/elisp/org-mode/.

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))

When I try to export an org-file to LaTeX I get the following error:

org-export-latex-first-lines: Symbol's function definition is void:
org-cleaned-string-for-export

I think I saw this error already some time ago and the reason was, that
an old org-version conflicts with the one I use. Under Debian I renamed
the Org-elisp-files in the Emacs-Program-Directory and the problem was
solved. But under MacOS I cannot find these files - as I wrote, I am
completely new to MacOS. I scanned the Folders /Applications/Emacs.app/*
but couldn't find the org elisp files.

Could anybody give me a hint where to find the files and how to solve my
problem?

Thanks!

* Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs
@ 2009-07-09 20:46 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-07-09 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Maihofer; +Cc: Org Mode

Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> wrote:

> Until now I used Org with Debian GNU/Linux. Today I bought a MacBook
> Pro 13" and I spent the evening making my first steps with MacOS. I
> installed the Carbon Emacs package and configured Emacs to use the
> latest Org-Version that I copied to ~/elisp/org-mode/.
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp/")
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
>
> When I try to export an org-file to LaTeX I get the following error:
>
> org-export-latex-first-lines: Symbol's function definition is void:
> org-cleaned-string-for-export
>
> I think I saw this error already some time ago and the reason was,
> that an old org-version conflicts with the one I use. Under Debian I
> renamed the Org-elisp-files in the Emacs-Program-Directory and the
> problem was solved. But under MacOS I cannot find these files - as I
> wrote, I am completely new to MacOS. I scanned the Folders
> /Applications/Emacs.app/* but couldn't find the org elisp files.
>
> Could anybody give me a hint where to find the files and how to solve
> my problem?

You are missing a

(require 'org-install)

after the  load path is set.

HTH,
Nick

PS. Checking org-version is always a good idea: M-x org-version

You can find where emacs is picking up the files by evaluating this:
 (locate-library "org")

or interactively:
 M-x locate-library <RET> org <RET>

* Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs
@ 2009-07-09 21:09   ` Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2009-07-09 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks! I was able to find the org-lisp-files of the old org-version
with "locate-library". Then I renamed the files and added the following
to my configuration:

(require 'org-latex)

Now LaTeX export works!

Thanks again!

Karl

@ 2009-07-09 21:32 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-09 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Maihofer; +Cc: Org Mode

Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> writes:

> Until now I used Org with Debian GNU/Linux. Today I bought a MacBook
> Pro 13" and I spent the evening making my first steps with MacOS. I
> installed the Carbon Emacs package and configured Emacs to use the
> latest Org-Version that I copied to ~/elisp/org-mode/.

I'll have to rely on my memory here, since I went in the opposite
direction (from MacOS to GNU/Linux). ;)

> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp/")
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
>
> When I try to export an org-file to LaTeX I get the following error:
>
> org-export-latex-first-lines: Symbol's function definition is void:
> org-cleaned-string-for-export
>
> I think I saw this error already some time ago and the reason was,
> that an old org-version conflicts with the one I use. Under Debian I
> renamed the Org-elisp-files in the Emacs-Program-Directory and the
> problem was solved. But under MacOS I cannot find these files - as I
> wrote, I am completely new to MacOS. I scanned the Folders
> /Applications/Emacs.app/* but couldn't find the org elisp files.

If I remember correctly. the old org lisp files are located in
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes.

I found it easiest to install the new org files directly to the
Emacs.app directory. And fortunately, I still have my Makefile
modifications in an org-file:

# Name of your emacs binary
EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

# Where local software is found
prefix=/usr/local

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir = /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp

# Where info files go.
infodir = /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info

If you install the files to site-lisp, they are loaded instead of the
files in lisp/textmodes.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs
@ 2009-07-10  7:25   ` Peter Frings
From: Peter Frings @ 2009-07-10  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

On 09 Jul 2009, at 23:32, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Until now I used Org with Debian GNU/Linux. Today I bought a MacBook
>> Pro 13" and I spent the evening making my first steps with MacOS. I
>> installed the Carbon Emacs package and configured Emacs to use the
>> latest Org-Version that I copied to ~/elisp/org-mode/.
>
> If I remember correctly. the old org lisp files are located in
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes.
>
> I found it easiest to install the new org files directly to the
> Emacs.app directory.

I've seen this approach mentioned several times, but I think it makes
things more complicated then they should be. By keeping the app and
the libs in separate places, the two can be updated independently.
Emacs provides ample ways of supporting this style -- actually, I
guess it was meant to work that way, until the bundles came along...

Of course, it's very convenient when you download Carbon Emacs (or
others) that everything is in place, but since when do Linuxers care
about convenience? :-)

Cheers,
Peter.

* Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs
@ 2009-07-10 13:03     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-10 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Frings; +Cc: Org Mode

Peter Frings <peter.frings@agfa.com> writes:

> On 09 Jul 2009, at 23:32, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>
>> I found it easiest to install the new org files directly to the
>> Emacs.app directory.
>
> I've seen this approach mentioned several times, but I think it makes
> things more complicated then they should be. By keeping the app and
> the libs in separate places, the two can be updated independently.
> Emacs provides ample ways of supporting this style -- actually, I
> guess it was meant to work that way, until the bundles came along...

Exactly. The beauty of Emacs is that there are multiple options for
everything. Overwriting org when I updated Carbon Emacs wasn't really an
issue for me because 1) Carbon Emacs is very rarely updated 2) I pull
the latest changes from the git repo and run make && make install every
day.

The reason I just threw org-mode in the Emacs.app directory is that I
also had EmacsCVS.app and wanted to keep separate byte-compiled for
Emacs 22 and Emacs 23.

If you're looking for the simplest way to install a byte-compiled
org-mode, I believe you could just clone the git repository to
~/org-mode, run make in the directory, and then add ~/org-mode/lisp to
your load path.

> Of course, it's very convenient when you download Carbon Emacs (or
> others) that everything is in place, but since when do Linuxers care
> about convenience? :-)

Well, I suppose in this case convenience is in the eye of the beholder.
E.g., pacman -S emacs-cvs. ;)

Best,
Matt