* Sort Phrases
@ 2012-10-22 11:27 Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-22 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I know it is possible to sort words and sort lines alphabetically in emacs
org-mode but is it possible to sort phrases ?

For example,

Face the music, Fifteen minutes of fame, A beautiful mind.

I want to sort it alphabetically like,

A beautiful mind, Face the music, Fifteen minutes of fame.

Is it possible ?

Thanks.

-----------------------------
*Sanjib Sikder
*Ph.D. Fellow
Chemical Engineering
IIT Bombay*

*

* Re: Sort Phrases
@ 2012-10-22 11:40 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-10-22 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanjib Sikder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sanjib Sikder <sanjibju2002@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know it is possible to sort words and sort lines alphabetically in emacs org-mode but is it
> possible to sort phrases ?
>
> For example,
>
>     Face the music, Fifteen minutes of fame, A beautiful mind.
>
> I want to sort it alphabetically like,
>
>     A beautiful mind, Face the music, Fifteen minutes of fame.
>
> Is it possible ?

Not with native org-mode facilities, I think.  It is possible of
course, but you would need to write your own elisp to do it.

Nick

* Re: Sort Phrases
@ 2012-10-22 18:14   ` Sanjib Sikder
From: Sanjib Sikder @ 2012-10-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Giovanni,

You need to put the following lines into your .emacs to sort WORDS and
LINES.

;;;Sort words
 (defun sort-words (reverse beg end)
      "Sort words in region alphabetically, in REVERSE if negative.
    Prefixed with negative \\[universal-argument], sorts in reverse.
    The variable `sort-fold-case' determines whether alphabetic case
    affects the sort order.
    See `sort-regexp-fields'."
      (interactive "*P\nr")
      (sort-regexp-fields reverse "\\w+" "\\&" beg end))

Then to sort words like

apple, mango, oranges, cat, elephant

You need to do

M-x sort-words