Hi Ben this is what I do not like about AquaEmacs, that it installs all kinds of defaults which you might not want. You can turn off saveplace with (setq-default save-place nil) You might still have to remove places.el. Or you can make sure that the cursor always starts out at the beginning of a visible line with (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (let (org-special-ctrl-a/e) (org-beginning-of-line)))) Then saveplace will get its will by moving the cursor to the recent location, but the cursor would be moved to the beginning of a visible line near that location. Or you can make sure that the point visited by saveplace will be visible, with (eval-after-load "saveplace" '(defadvice save-place-find-file-hook (after org-make-visible activate) "Make the position visible." (org-bookmark-jump-unhide))) I am actually putting this last piece of code into org.el. HTH - Carsten On Oct 26, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Ben Alexander wrote: > So about this bug... > > I think I've figured out why I get this so often. I use Aquamacs on > MacOS X, and it seems to store (in ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs > Emacs/places.el) a list of files and values for point. > > Something about the timing of this means that point is left > somewhere in the body (or maybe subheading?) of a headline, even > though org-mode presents the file in 'Overview'. Since the point is > in an unexpected location, even though the cursor looks fine, (org- > cycle) doesn't work as it looks like it should. > > I think I'd like to turn off the 'places.el' thing. > > And I reiterate: this is really a tiny issue. Just hitting C-a > fixes the state of point. > > On 2008-Oct-24, at 19:44, Avdi Grimm wrote: > >> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Ben Alexander > > wrote: >>> Ok, here's your chance. This is something that has bothered me >>> for quite >>> some time, but I've never been able to reliably reproduce the >>> problem. And >>> it's such a small issue. >> >> Thanks! I'll try to take a look tonight > ... > > -Ben > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode