From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Feature request: IDs on anything
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:32:55 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Samuel,

I do remember the earlier discussion we had about this.  I
can see how using IDs for more localized linking could be
useful, and how this kind of extensible syntax could be useful.

I do have my doubts how IDs in source coude files would work,
because I am not sure how Org should be able to keep track of
source code files as they are moving around or even copied
(maybe these days, if people use versioning, this is not
such a big issue, but I know that many people maintain
versions of code by copying).  I cannot think of a reliable
way to make this work, besides, maybe,  API calls to some
global indexing tool.

I also cannot see how this would be used for individual
table fields, conflicts with spreadsheet formulas would
easily arise and be very complex.

But would like to learn more about your ideas for applications.

- Carsten