* Notes on documentation
@ 2008-10-11 21:04 Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-10-11 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was reading over the agenda documentation in my current version of org
(6.08c) and noted a couple of things:

1.  (nit):  in the discussion of finding stuck projects:

"Lets[sic -- Let's] further"

2.  In "The weekly/daily agenda":

"   (1) For backward compatibility, the universal prefix `C-u' causes
all TODO entries to be listed before the agenda.  This feature is
deprecated, use the dedicated TODO list, or a block agenda instead."

Would it be possible to expand this a little?  In particular:

a.  I use this because I like to have the todo list with my weekly
agenda, so that I can pick todo items to schedule in context.  I guess I
don't off-hand see how having a view that only has the todo items would
replace this now-deprecated usage pattern.

b.  Reading this, I didn't know what a "block agenda" was.  Would it be
possible to add a cross reference to the Block Agenda section at this
point so that ignorant readers like me could easily find out more about
block agendas?  I know that one need only look to the table of contents
to find this page, but when reading hypertext documentation one often
drills in deep and doesn't have a good sense of context.  And it would
be an easy addition to make.  [Indeed, the block agenda is exactly what
I should be using...]

I apologize if these have already been fixed in the current git version...

* Re: Notes on documentation
@ 2008-10-12  6:30 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-12  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robert,

On Oct 11, 2008, at 11:04 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:

> I was reading over the agenda documentation in my current version of
> org
> (6.08c) and noted a couple of things:
>
> 1.  (nit):  in the discussion of finding stuck projects:
>
> "Lets[sic -- Let's] further"

fixed, thanks.

> 2.  In "The weekly/daily agenda":
>
> "   (1) For backward compatibility, the universal prefix `C-u' causes
> all TODO entries to be listed before the agenda.  This feature is
> deprecated, use the dedicated TODO list, or a block agenda instead."
>
> Would it be possible to expand this a little?  In particular:
>
> a.  I use this because I like to have the todo list with my weekly
> agenda, so that I can pick todo items to schedule in context.  I
> guess I
> don't off-hand see how having a view that only has the todo items
> would
> replace this now-deprecated usage pattern.

Including the TODO list with the agenda can serve two purposes.

1. To see the TODO list at all.  This goal can be achieved by looking
at the TODO list.

2. To see the TODO list together with the agenda.  For this use a
block agenda.

> b.  Reading this, I didn't know what a "block agenda" was.  Would it
> be
> possible to add a cross reference to the Block Agenda section at this
> point so that ignorant readers like me could easily find out more
> about
> block agendas?  I know that one need only look to the table of
> contents
> to find this page, but when reading hypertext documentation one often
> drills in deep and doesn't have a good sense of context.  And it would
> be an easy addition to make.  [Indeed, the block agenda is exactly
> what
> I should be using...]

I have added the cross reference, thanks.

- Carsten