* Technical Issue with compiling org mode
@ 2009-04-15  0:07 Krishan Rajaratnam
From: Krishan Rajaratnam @ 2009-04-15  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi I tried to install org mode by following the instructions and using make, but Im not very familiar

with make and I got an error. Im sending this email to try to get this problem resolved. Here

are the details:

Im using regular emacs so I left the emacs binary as emacs, and my share file is right under usr

(not under local) so my prefix was /usr. My makefile details are shown below:

EMACS= emacs
prefix=/usr ;there is no local file where share is found
lispdir = $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp
infodir = $(prefix)/share/info

Then I entered make in the commandline window and I got alot of messages saying certain fuctions weren't

found and at the end I got an  error message:

While compiling toplevel forms in file /home/Krishan/org_mode/lisp/org-protocol.el:
!! File error (("Cannot open load file" "url"))
Done
make: *** [lisp/org-protocol.elc] Error 1

Thanks a great deal for your time.

Share photos with friends on Windows Live Messenger
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9650734

* Re: Technical Issue with compiling org mode
@ 2009-04-16 12:40 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-04-16 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Krishan Rajaratnam wrote:
> Hi I tried to install org mode by following the instructions and using
> make, but Im not very familiar
> with make and I got an error. Im sending this email to try to get this
> problem resolved. Here
> are the details:
>
> Im using regular emacs so I left the emacs binary as emacs, and my share
> file is right under usr
> (not under local) so my prefix was /usr. My makefile details are shown
> below:
>
> EMACS= emacs
> prefix=/usr ;there is no local file where share is found
> lispdir = $(prefix)/share/emacs/site-lisp
> infodir = $(prefix)/share/info
>
> Then I entered make in the commandline window and I got alot of messages
> saying certain fuctions weren't
> found and at the end I got an  error message:
>
> While compiling toplevel forms in file
> /home/Krishan/org_mode/lisp/org-protocol.el:
> !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "url"))
> Done
> make: *** [lisp/org-protocol.elc] Error 1

I would suggest that unless you need org to be available to all users on
your computer, you install it somewhere in your home directory. I
install org in #/.emacs-lisp/org and my makefile looks like:

# Name of your emacs binary
EMACS=emacs

# Where local software is found
prefix=~/.emacs-lisp

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir = $(prefix)/org

Also what OS are you using - Linux, Windows, Mac?

Ian.

* Re: Technical Issue with compiling org mode
@ 2009-04-16 12:44 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-04-16 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishan Rajaratnam; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Krishan Rajaratnam <krishan-25@hotmail.com> writes:
> While compiling toplevel forms in file /home/Krishan/org_mode/lisp/org-protocol.el:
> !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "url"))
> Done
> make: *** [lisp/org-protocol.elc] Error 1

Don't you have /usr/share/emacs/lisp/url/url.el(c) ?

What says

    C-h v load-path RET

and

    M-x emacs-version RET

?

I never read about that issue here. That's why I wonder if you use an
old emacs version or something. I think url comes with emacs since a
while now, but I might be wrong.

make is no problem here.

Best,

   Sebastian