* source code block HTML appearance under linux firefox
@ 2009-05-13 17:19 Dan Davison
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-05-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

When source code blocks are rendered in HTML, in firefox under linux I
see a thick lower border to the box enclosing the code, however I don't
see this in firefox under windows and OS X, nor IE under Windows.  As an
example (for linux users at least) look at the bounding box to the first
code example on

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php

It may seem minor on the worg page, but I've modified worg.css for my
own use (I'm not sure who specifically to thank, but thanks!) and it can
be very noticeable/ugly e.g.

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~davison/software/dbm/download.php

If you zoom in, eventually that becomes a horizontal scrollbar, so
perhaps what I'm seeing is a sort of vestigial scrollbar? Please excuse
the slightly OT question, but I was hoping one of the resident css
experts would know how to fix this? Or is it a bug in firefox?

Thanks,

Dan

* Re: source code block HTML appearance under linux firefox
@ 2009-05-13 17:56 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-13 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> When source code blocks are rendered in HTML, in firefox under linux I
> see a thick lower border to the box enclosing the code, however I don't
> see this in firefox under windows and OS X, nor IE under Windows.  As an
> example (for linux users at least) look at the bounding box to the first
> code example on
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php
>
> It may seem minor on the worg page, but I've modified worg.css for my
> own use (I'm not sure who specifically to thank, but thanks!) and it can
> be very noticeable/ugly e.g.
>
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~davison/software/dbm/download.php
>
> If you zoom in, eventually that becomes a horizontal scrollbar, so
> perhaps what I'm seeing is a sort of vestigial scrollbar? Please excuse
> the slightly OT question, but I was hoping one of the resident css
> experts would know how to fix this? Or is it a bug in firefox?

Well, if you zoom in too far, the text does not fit in the box any more,
so you get the horizontal scrollbar - that happened to me with the
second box on your page when I zoomed in as far as it would let me (with
Ctl +). If the text fits in the box (e.g. if I step back one zoom step
with Ctl -), there is no scrollbar: there is a perfectly well-defined
pink border - no ugliness that I can see.

I also can't see any ugliness on the worg page you mention: I get
horizontal scrollbars if I zoom in too far, but they disappear
completely if I step back (e.g. the org-store-link.js example contains a
very long line, so it does not take much zooming to make it too big to
fit.)

This is ff 3.0.10 on Ubuntu 8.04.

Nick

* Re: source code block HTML appearance under linux firefox
@ 2009-05-13 18:00 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-05-13 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dan,

It looks fine here in Firefox 3.0.10 on Ubuntu Jaunty. What version of
FF are you using?

Ian.

@ 2009-05-13 19:07   ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-05-13 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

> Hi Dan,
>
> It looks fine here in Firefox 3.0.10 on Ubuntu Jaunty. What version of
> FF are you using?

Also Firefox 3.0.10 on Ubuntu Jaunty. Same problem with ff 3.0.8 running
on remote fedora core machine with graphics displayed locally via ssh -X.

OK, that's strange, but evidently not relevant to org.

It seems that it's something specific to the graphics display by my
laptop? I get a thicker lower border to the boxes at all zoom levels
with org-export-as-html, with vanilla org/emacs setups. That's true for
#+begin_example and #+begin_src.

I had a quick look at some css box examples online and didn't see any
that had the same problem, but I'll look into the difference between
these and org-generated css and see if I can understand what's going on.
Thanks Nick and Ian for checking.

Dan

@ 2009-05-14 18:54 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-05-14 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dan,

I use FF on Linux all the time, but I cannot see that here. Which
version are you using? Version 3.0.9 does not have that problem.

Maybe that's not FF but X?

  Sebastian