* orgstruct minor mode
@ 2009-07-21  0:16 Maurizio Vitale
From: Maurizio Vitale @ 2009-07-21  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is anybody working on making orgstruct work with programming modes (or
other modes that require the org "markup" to be hidden in comments)?

If not I'll probably take a look at it and ask questions on the way.

Regards,

  Maurizio

* Re: orgstruct minor mode
@ 2009-07-21  2:14 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-07-21  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maurizio.vitale; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maurizio Vitale
<mav@cuma.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me> writes:

> Is anybody working on making orgstruct work with programming modes (or
> other modes that require the org "markup" to be hidden in comments)?

Have a look at this recent thread

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/15421/match=org+style+folding

in particular the posts by Michael Zeller and Sébastian Vauban, starting
with

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/15427/match=org+style+folding

 in which they develop really nice org-style folding (and headline
 faces) for elisp code (based on original code by Tassilo Horn I
 believe).

The thread also contains discussion of org babel which provides a
different (literate programming) approach: the code is in source blocks
in an org file and extracted when needed.

Dan

> If not I'll probably take a look at it and ask questions on the way.
>
> Regards,
>
>   Maurizio

* Re: orgstruct minor mode
@ 2009-07-25 23:51   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-25 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: maurizio.vitale, emacs-orgmode

It might be nice to have these solutions in one place.

I know of hideshow, hideshow-org, the email thread,
outline-minor-mode plus regexp fixes, orgstruct, orgstruct++,
orgtbl, and org-babel so far.

I guess there are several categories.  This is very rough.

  1) code folding (e.g. hiding the contents of a defun)
  2) as much of org as possible without changing the
     behavior of the mode itself too much.  plain lists and
     headlines can go inside comments or docstrings.
  3) literate programming.  compile in two steps:
     compile from org and compile to binary.

* Re: orgstruct minor mode
@ 2009-07-25 23:52     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: maurizio.vitale, emacs-orgmode

I should point out that I am assuming that #2 supersedes previous
solutions in which structure information is put in comments.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis makes you die decades early (Jason
et al. 2006) and suffer severely.  Conflicts of interest are

* Re: orgstruct minor mode
@ 2009-07-26  0:21     ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-07-26  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: maurizio.vitale, emacs-orgmode

> Maurizio Vitale
> <mav@cuma.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me> writes:

> Is anybody working on making orgstruct work with programming modes (or
> other modes that require the org "markup" to be hidden in comments)?

>> It might be nice to have these solutions in one place.

Yes, an overview/tutorial of the various options would be good to have.

>> I know of hideshow, hideshow-org, the email thread,
>> outline-minor-mode plus regexp fixes, orgstruct, orgstruct++,
>> orgtbl, and org-babel so far.

[One obvious point for the record -- embedding code in org files is not
a mutually exclusive alternative to the others: after C-c ' the code is
edited in a language major mode buffer in which the other solutions
might be used for folding / structuring]

I'll add Carsten's outline-magic.el to that list.

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/outline-magic.el

Personally I've been using plain outline-minor-mode for code folding. I
haven't used outline-magic, but it seems like perhaps I should. Is
anyone out there currently using it?

Dan