Matt Price writes: > Visual-line-mode is a replacement for longlines-mode; it soft-wraps > text at the screen boundary, and does a much better job than > longlines-mode did. I think you're confused by a (helpful) conflation. The ‘visual-lines-mode’ is indeed a replacement for ‘longlines-mode’, but its job is to cause editing commands to act on visual, rather than logical lines. The wrapping behaviour you're describing is performed by ‘word-wrap’, a buffer-local variable that cuases lines to be visually broken at word boundaries. The ‘word-wrap’ variable is set by ‘visual-lines-mode’, which is why you're seeing it happen. But ‘word-wrap’ is independent of this. > Is that what you needed? I'm not sure where the code for > visual-line-mode lives -- there isn't a visual-line.el anywhere that i > can find on my system. Fortunately, ‘visual-line-mode’ appears to be a distraction from what you're describing; Carsten only needs to learn about ‘word-wrap’. -- \ “The flattening of underwear with pleasure is the job of the | `\ chambermaid.” —hotel, Yugoslavia | _o__) | Ben Finney