* emacs 24.1 and org compatibility
@ 2011-10-28 18:22 Michael Bach
From: Michael Bach @ 2011-10-28 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: emacs 24.1 and org compatibility
@ 2011-10-28 20:51 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-28 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Bach <phaebz@gmail.com> writes:

> [nothing]

I agree with all that you've said. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not
      (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses))
      but (an English (with more.)))
Brian Hayes, http://tinyurl.com/3y9l2kf

* Re: emacs 24.1 and org compatibility
@ 2011-10-28 21:57   ` Michael Bach
From: Michael Bach @ 2011-10-28 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Michael Bach <phaebz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> [nothing]
>
> I agree with all that you've said. :-)

Hm.  Since my subject line is the only thing I said, that was easy.  :-)

So for the actual issue: After pulling emacs from bzr and org mode from
git today, org-capture failed with error:

void-function: org-pop-to-buffer-same-window

After digging around, I found the definition in org-compat.el from the
git repo and a comment within saying that "`pop-to-buffer-same-window'
has been introduced with Emacs 24.1".

I now require the org-compat from git repo instead of the one built into
org-mode from emacs 24.0.90.1 since org-pop-to-buffer-same-window is not
defined within that.

I am not fully used to development versions yet...

Sorry for sending only an empty draft and then some noise.

cheers

* Re: emacs 24.1 and org compatibility
@ 2011-10-29  6:49     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-29  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Bach <phaebz@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Michael,

> I now require the org-compat from git repo instead of the one built
> into org-mode from emacs 24.0.90.1 since org-pop-to-buffer-same-window
> is not defined within that.
>
> I am not fully used to development versions yet...

Usually, if you've adapted your `load-path' to include the org lisp
direcory before requiring/loading anything from org, then all the
bundled org files from emacs should be shadowed.

Bye,
Tassilo
--

@ 2011-10-29 10:58       ` Michael Bach
From: Michael Bach @ 2011-10-29 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tassilo!

> Usually, if you've adapted your `load-path' to include the org lisp
> direcory before requiring/loading anything from org, then all the
> bundled org files from emacs should be shadowed.

Yeah, I thought so as well.  I manage org-mode (git) and my other 3rd
party packages with el-get [1].  In this case, somehow it does not play
along with the way emacs handles this shadowing of built-in packages.

The el-get init is pretty much the first thing I load from my emacs init
file.  So it should set the load-path accordingly.  I am too busy right
now to fix this, so for now I require the correct org-compat with an
explicit path.

cheers

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/dimitri/el-get