* Defining a new emphasis
@ 2012-05-07  8:28 Francesco Pizzolante
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2012-05-07  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to define a new emphasis that would work like org-code (=) except
that it would export to \textsf instead of \texttt in LaTeX.

I tried several combinations using org-emphasis-alist and
org-export-latex-emphasis-alist, but I must admit that I'm lost amongst all
parameters controlling how the emphasis is processed:

- org-emphasis-alist defines a 'verbatim' optional parameter
- org-export-latex-emphasis-alist defines a protected (t/nil) parameter
- special format string like \\verb or \\protectedtexttt may also be used

Here are tests I've made (using the option ^:nil) with this reference string
=look_at:my~ti ny\reference^string=:

| verbatim | protected | format string     | Resulting LaTeX code                                                                  | Comment                     |
|----------+-----------+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------------------|
| no       | nil       | \\textsf{%s}      | look\_{}at:my\~{}ti ny\reference\^{}string                                            | OK except for the backslash |
| no       | t         | \\textsf{%s}      | look_at:my~ti ny\reference^string                                                     | NOT OK                      |
| yes      | nil       | \\textsf{%s}      | look_at:my~ti ny\reference^string                                                     | NOT OK                      |
| yes      | t         | \\textsf{%s}      | look_at:my~ti ny\reference^string                                                     | NOT OK                      |
| yes      | nil       | \\protectedtexttt | look\_at:my\textasciitilde\{}ti ny\textbackslash\{}reference\textasciicircum\{}string | NOT OK                      |
| yes      | t         | \\protectedtexttt | look\_at:my\textasciitilde{}ti ny\textbackslash{}reference\textasciicircum{}string    | OK                          |

I would like to get the exact same output as == gives (no interpretation of
the chars I write) except that I'd like to use \textsf instead of \texttt but
I can't find the right combination for the parameters (verbatim, protected) to
achieve this goal.

Any help or comment is welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Francesco

* Re: Defining a new emphasis
@ 2012-05-07  9:28 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]   ` <87lil449xx.fsf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-07  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Francesco Pizzolante"
<fpz-djc/iPCCuDYQheJpep6IedvLeJWuRmrY@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm trying to define a new emphasis

Please don't. We're in the process of hard-coding emphasis markers.

> that would work like org-code (=) except that it would export to
> \textsf instead of \texttt in LaTeX.

If that's related to export, you can tweak the export of verbatim
(=text=) output.

For example, in the new exporter (if you use development Org, you can
(require 'org-export) and just call M-x org-export-dispatch), it just
means to change \texttt into \textsf through verbatim filters (list of
function applied to the output of each verbatim object).

It's a way to have the last words over export engine.

Here is the code:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun my-latex-verbatim-filter (text backend info)
  "In `e-latex' backend, change \"texttt\" into \"textsf\"."
  ;; No change for other backends.
  (if (not (eq backend 'e-latex)) text
    (replace-regexp-in-string "\\`\\\\texttt" "\\\\textsf" text)))

(add-to-list 'org-export-filter-verbatim-functions 'my-latex-verbatim-filter)
#+end_src

If you call `org-export-dispatch' on a buffer containing:

  =look_at:my~ti ny\reference^string=

you will get:

  \textsf{look\_at:my\textasciitilde{}ti ny\textbackslash{}reference\textasciicircum{}string}

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Defining a new emphasis
       [not found]   ` <87lil449xx.fsf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-05-07 10:23     ` Francesco Pizzolante
From: Francesco Pizzolante @ 2012-05-07 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Nicolas,

>> I'm trying to define a new emphasis
>
> Please don't. We're in the process of hard-coding emphasis markers.

OK. Understood.

>> that would work like org-code (=) except that it would export to
>> \textsf instead of \texttt in LaTeX.
>
> If that's related to export, you can tweak the export of verbatim
> (=text=) output.
>
> For example, in the new exporter (if you use development Org, you can
> (require 'org-export) and just call M-x org-export-dispatch), it just
> means to change \texttt into \textsf through verbatim filters (list of
> function applied to the output of each verbatim object).
>
> It's a way to have the last words over export engine.
>
> Here is the code:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defun my-latex-verbatim-filter (text backend info)
>   "In `e-latex' backend, change \"texttt\" into \"textsf\"."
>   ;; No change for other backends.
>   (if (not (eq backend 'e-latex)) text
>     (replace-regexp-in-string "\\`\\\\texttt" "\\\\textsf" text)))
>
> (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-verbatim-functions 'my-latex-verbatim-filter)
> #+end_src
>
> If you call `org-export-dispatch' on a buffer containing:
>
>   =look_at:my~ti ny\reference^string=
>
> you will get:
>
>   \textsf{look\_at:my\textasciitilde{}ti ny\textbackslash{}reference\textasciicircum{}string}

My goal is, in fact, to keep the default behavior of the '=' marker and redefine
the behavior of the '~' marker.

I'd like '~' to behave exactly the same way = does but using \textsf instead of
\texttt. Is it possible?

Thanks,
 Francesco

* Re: Defining a new emphasis
@ 2012-05-07 10:39       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-07 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Francesco Pizzolante" <fpz@missioncriticalit.com> writes:

> My goal is, in fact, to keep the default behavior of the '=' marker and redefine
> the behavior of the '~' marker.
>
> I'd like '~' to behave exactly the same way = does but using \textsf instead of
> \texttt. Is it possible?

Certainly. Even if we hard code syntax, the user always has the final
word on the produced text.

For now, the easiest way is to customize `org-e-latex-text-markup-alist'
and associate `protectedtexttt' to `code' value.

Then, since you want to change "texttt" into "textsf" in `code' objects
(~text~), add your filter to the right place (and remove the previous
one):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'org-export-filter-code-functions 'my-latex-verbatim-filter)
#+end_src

In a few days, it will be also possible to write a function like the
following (which basically means "treat code as verbatim, but use textsf
instead of texttt"):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun my-latex-code-handler (code contents info)
  "Handle `code' objects in LaTeX back-end."
  (replace-regexp-in-string
   "\\`\\\\texttt" "\\\\textsf"
   (org-e-latex-verbatim code contents info)))
#+end_src

And tell the export engine to treat `code' objects with your function
instead of the default one.

Nicolas Goaziou