From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
To: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Bug: #+STARTUP: overview and org-startup-folded have no effect [7.9.3e (7.9.3e-1032-g791a8d @ /home/horn/Repos/el/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:05:43 +0100	[thread overview]

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

Hi Bastien,

>> Ah, ok.  I'm not a big fan of optimizations that break correctness,
>> and the current behavior is simply wrong wrt. the docs of
>> `org-startup-folded' and the #+STARTUP property.
>
> I just updated the docstring of org-startup-folded and mentioned
> `org-agenda-inhibit-startup' in the manual (maint branch.)

Thanks.

> I'm not convinced nil would be better as a default for
> `org-agenda-inhibit-startup' -- even when users use only one big .org
> file as their agenda, if they call (org-agenda nil "a") in their
> .emacs.el then the optimization is also worth it.

I have seven agenda files, all not too big (~10K on average), and I use
an averagely performant computer (5 years old dual core laptop).  For
me, the difference between `org-agenda-inhibit-startup' set to t or nil
is not noticable at all.  In both cases, it's less than a second, and
that's a time I can easily live with.

So if one asked me, I'd say the default should be nil.  Probably, it
would be a good idea to list and explain all such performance
optimization options and their implications in one central place in the
manual ("Speeding up org on slower computers"), so that people having
performance issues can easily find these knobs.

Bye,
Tassilo