* empty LaTeX export template
@ 2013-06-11  9:31 Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-06-11  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I am lazy (main reason for this question) and I would like to avoid
filling my org-latex-classes with too many entries (surrogate reason).

So I'd like to ask: Is there a possibility to get a really empty LaTeX
export that reads everything (including the documentclass) from the
#+LATEX_HEADER ?

The reason for this is, that many journals/conferences come with their
own LaTeX template (if I am lucky, that is).  It would be very
convenient, if I could just yank the provided header into my *.org
file (and prefix with #+LATEX_HEADER).

Is that possible?

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: empty LaTeX export template
@ 2013-06-11 12:14 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-06-11 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:31:39AM +0200, Andreas Leha wrote:

> So I'd like to ask: Is there a possibility to get a really empty LaTeX
> export that reads everything (including the documentclass) from the
> #+LATEX_HEADER ?
>
> The reason for this is, that many journals/conferences come with their
> own LaTeX template (if I am lucky, that is).  It would be very
> convenient, if I could just yank the provided header into my *.org
> file (and prefix with #+LATEX_HEADER).

I think you can just define a minimal class in org-latex-classes;
something like

  \documentclass{article}
  [NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
  [NO-PACKAGES]
  [EXTRA]

Then none of the packages listed in org-latex-default-packages-alist and
org-latex-packages-alist are included, and only the
#+LATEX_HEADER(_EXTRA) keywords are considered.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: empty LaTeX export template
@ 2013-06-11 13:01   ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-06-11 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:31:39AM +0200, Andreas Leha wrote:
>>
>> So I'd like to ask: Is there a possibility to get a really empty LaTeX
>> export that reads everything (including the documentclass) from the
>> #+LATEX_HEADER ?
>>
>> The reason for this is, that many journals/conferences come with their
>> own LaTeX template (if I am lucky, that is).  It would be very
>> convenient, if I could just yank the provided header into my *.org
>> file (and prefix with #+LATEX_HEADER).
>
> I think you can just define a minimal class in org-latex-classes;
> something like
>
>   \documentclass{article}
>   [NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
>   [NO-PACKAGES]
>   [EXTRA]
>
> Then none of the packages listed in org-latex-default-packages-alist and
> org-latex-packages-alist are included, and only the
> #+LATEX_HEADER(_EXTRA) keywords are considered.
>
> Hope this helps,

Hi Suvayu,

this did help, indeed.  Thanks a lot.  I did not think it was that easy.

I found, that I can just omit the documentclass from the
org-latex-classes.

So, now I have:
(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
             '("bare"
               "
\[NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
\[NO-PACKAGES]
\[EXTRA]"
               ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
               ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
               ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")))

This should work in most cases.

To use this I do:
#+LATEX_CLASS: bare
#+LATEX_HEADER: % everything from the template

One problem remains, though:  orgmode keeps messing with the title.

I can, of course, set the title through #+TITLE: but I would prefer to
set it through some #+LATEX_HEADER as the templates often require their
own title setting directives.

So, my follow-up question is:  How can I get orgmode to not fiddle with
the title in a LaTeX export?

@ 2013-06-13  7:57     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-06-13  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> [...]
> To use this I do:
> #+LATEX_CLASS: bare
> #+LATEX_HEADER: % everything from the template
>
> One problem remains, though:  orgmode keeps messing with the title.
> [...]
> So, my follow-up question is:  How can I get orgmode to not fiddle with
> the title in a LaTeX export?

A simple hack is to redefine \title in the header, noting that the
exporter puts the title specification *after* all the latex_header lines
in the latex file.

In one case, I needed the title to be right at the top of the page so I
did the following:

#+latex_header: \title{\vspace*{-1.5cm}Workplan}\renewcommand{\title}[1]{}

Note that the title command is redefined to do nothing.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.0.3-193-g334581

* Re: empty LaTeX export template
@ 2013-06-13 13:47       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-06-13 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>
>> [...]
>> To use this I do:
>> #+LATEX_CLASS: bare
>> #+LATEX_HEADER: % everything from the template
>>
>> One problem remains, though:  orgmode keeps messing with the title.
>> [...]
>> So, my follow-up question is:  How can I get orgmode to not fiddle with
>> the title in a LaTeX export?
>
> A simple hack is to redefine \title in the header, noting that the
> exporter puts the title specification *after* all the latex_header lines
> in the latex file.

I think this might be the best way to do it.  It's possible to omit
\maketitle by changing `org-latex-title-command'.  Whether to set the
title is unfortunately not configurable at the moment, it seems.

–Rasmus

--
Don't panic!!!

* Re: empty LaTeX export template
@ 2013-06-13 16:10         ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-06-13 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric and Rasmus,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> To use this I do:
>>> #+LATEX_CLASS: bare
>>> #+LATEX_HEADER: % everything from the template
>>>
>>> One problem remains, though:  orgmode keeps messing with the title.
>>> [...]
>>> So, my follow-up question is:  How can I get orgmode to not fiddle with
>>> the title in a LaTeX export?
>>
>> A simple hack is to redefine \title in the header, noting that the
>> exporter puts the title specification *after* all the latex_header lines
>> in the latex file.
>
> I think this might be the best way to do it.  It's possible to omit
> \maketitle by changing `org-latex-title-command'.  Whether to set the
> title is unfortunately not configurable at the moment, it seems.
>
> –Rasmus

Thanks a lot.  I'll use this approach.  That change to the latex header
I paste from the template into my org file is small enough to be
acceptable.

Best,

@ 2013-06-13 18:16           ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-06-13 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas,

> Thanks a lot.  I'll use this approach.  That change to the latex header
> I paste from the template into my org file is small enough to be
> acceptable.

Speaking of which, did you consider just exporting the body without
header-info?  Then you could prepare a minimal .tex file and input the
file generated by org.  The minimal file could even just be a tangled
file from the org file . . .

–Rasmus

--
Got mashed potatoes. Ain't got no T-Bone. No T-Bone

* Re: empty LaTeX export template
@ 2013-06-13 20:58             ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-06-13 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rasmus,

>> Thanks a lot.  I'll use this approach.  That change to the latex header
>> I paste from the template into my org file is small enough to be
>> acceptable.
>
> Speaking of which, did you consider just exporting the body without
> header-info?  Then you could prepare a minimal .tex file and input the
> file generated by org.  The minimal file could even just be a tangled
> file from the org file . . .

No, I never considered this.  But it seems like a very nice idea!
Thanks for the pointer.  I will investigate that route (at some point).

Best,
Andreas