* Installing from git
@ 2014-06-30 22:44 Vicente Vera
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vicente Vera @ 2014-06-30 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello. I'm quite confused with the installation options.

Recently started out a Debian base system and compiled Emacs from the bzr
repository. That came out fine, so I ran 'make install' and now Emacs
24.4.50 sits in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, etc.

I want to install the master branch of org-mode. Currently I followed these
steps:

- cd ~/org_from_git/
- git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git

¿Do i need to tweak 'local.mk' so the prefix variable points to
/usr/local/share before running make?
¿Which make option should i use (besides 'make autoloads')?

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-06-30 22:51 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-06-30 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Vicente Vera <vicentemvp@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. I'm quite confused with the installation options.
>
> Recently started out a Debian base system and compiled Emacs from the bzr
> repository. That came out fine, so I ran 'make install' and now Emacs
> 24.4.50 sits in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, etc.
>
> I want to install the master branch of org-mode. Currently I followed these
> steps:
>
> - cd ~/org_from_git/
> - git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
>
> ¿Do i need to tweak 'local.mk' so the prefix variable points to
> /usr/local/share before running make?
> ¿Which make option should i use (besides 'make autoloads')?

Did you search around a bit? There's lots of posts with people's
setups. You certainly *can* install over the top of the Org that came
with your version of Emacs (pointing it to install to
/usr/local/share, I suppose), though I've never gone that route. Some
mailing list examples from googling about Orgmode git installation:
- Achim's post:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-05/msg00609.html
- My setup: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-04/msg00396.html

From mine, you'll note I never "install" Org -- just clone to a
directory, make, and tell Emacs about it in .emacs... done!

John

> Thanks in advance.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-01 17:21   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-01 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy writes:
> Did you search around a bit? There's lots of posts with people's
> setups. You certainly *can* install over the top of the Org that came
> with your version of Emacs (pointing it to install to
> /usr/local/share, I suppose), though I've never gone that route.

In any case, this doesn't do what I think you believe this is doing.
The default install method installs into site-lisp, not into the Emacs
install directory.  The reason I keep advocating that method is that
conveniently the buil-in load-path is already set up to do the right
thing from the very beginning (you only need to remember to require
org-loaddefs from your .emacs) and you can fall back easily to the
built-in Org from Emacs itself if needed.  Also the build directory can
be used for whatever experimentation you desire without disrupting any
serious work.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-01 20:16   ` Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2014-07-01 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

It seems i'm flooding John's inbox trying to send back this message into
the discussion. I'm deeply sorry for that.

I did what John suggested:
- git clone...
- cd to the repository
- make (which i think does two things, byte-compilation and generating
org-loaddefs.el)
- add lisp dir to load-path

It did worked since M-x org-version shows the right path (and version), but
i'm used to browse the Info manual quite regularly. Before switching to
GNU/Linux I used to install the ELPA package on a freshly unpacked Emacs
(trunk builds for Windows); it was a pretty straightforward process and it
seems to take care of everything. I'm not going to do that again since the
ELPA package comes from the maint branch.

Achim Gratz writes:
> The default install method installs into site-lisp, not into the Emacs
> install directory.  The reason I keep advocating that method is that
> conveniently the buil-in load-path is already set up to do the right
> thing from the very beginning (you only need to remember to require
> org-loaddefs from your .emacs) and you can fall back easily to the
> built-in Org from Emacs itself if needed.

Thanks for your reply. Which one is the default install method? If it's
'make install', do i need to tweak local.mk because of the location of my
Emacs installation (as explained here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-3)? In my system
(Debian) Emacs is in /usr/local/.

And does this method allows to have the latest info manual without
overriding the built-in org-mode installation?

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Vicente Vera <vicentemvp@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello. I'm quite confused with the installation options.
> >
> > Recently started out a Debian base system and compiled Emacs from the bzr
> > repository. That came out fine, so I ran 'make install' and now Emacs
> > 24.4.50 sits in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, etc.
> >
> > I want to install the master branch of org-mode. Currently I followed
> these
> > steps:
> >
> > - cd ~/org_from_git/
> > - git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
> >
> > ¿Do i need to tweak 'local.mk' so the prefix variable points to
> > /usr/local/share before running make?
> > ¿Which make option should i use (besides 'make autoloads')?
>
> Did you search around a bit? There's lots of posts with people's
> setups. You certainly *can* install over the top of the Org that came
> with your version of Emacs (pointing it to install to
> /usr/local/share, I suppose), though I've never gone that route. Some
> mailing list examples from googling about Orgmode git installation:
> - Achim's post:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-05/msg00609.html
> - My setup:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-04/msg00396.html
>
> From mine, you'll note I never "install" Org -- just clone to a
> directory, make, and tell Emacs about it in .emacs... done!
>

> John
>

> > Thanks in advance.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-01 21:32     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-07-01 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> John Hendy writes:
>> Did you search around a bit? There's lots of posts with people's
>> setups. You certainly *can* install over the top of the Org that came
>> with your version of Emacs (pointing it to install to
>> /usr/local/share, I suppose), though I've never gone that route.
>
> In any case, this doesn't do what I think you believe this is doing.
> The default install method installs into site-lisp, not into the Emacs
> install directory.  The reason I keep advocating that method is that
> conveniently the buil-in load-path is already set up to do the right
> thing from the very beginning (you only need to remember to require
> org-loaddefs from your .emacs) and you can fall back easily to the
> built-in Org from Emacs itself if needed.  Also the build directory can
> be used for whatever experimentation you desire without disrupting any
> serious work.

Gotcha. I probably shouldn't have said anything about that method -- I
don't use it, and you're correct that I don't have a good grasp on
what it does. Sorry for that, and thanks for the clarification.

John

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Q+, Q and microQ:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-02 17:17     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-02 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vicente Vera writes:
> Thanks for your reply. Which one is the default install method? If
> it's 'make install',

I'd go for "make up2" (which ends up doing make install if the tests are
passing) if you want minimum involvement, but it's your choice.

> do i need to tweak local.mk because of the
> location of my Emacs installation (as explained here:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-3)? In my
> system (Debian) Emacs is in /usr/local/.

As this would usually be first in PATH you don't need to do anything
special.  Although just to remind yourself that you are using that Emacs
you could specify the full path anyway.  The real question is where they
moved site-lisp, in your case it would normally be in
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp (but since you've said you compiled
Emacs yourself, you could have configured something different).  If
you've kept the standard config, then all you need to do in local.mk is
to set prefix to /usr/local/share. Do a "make config" to have those
locations shown to you or even a "make config-all".

> And does this method allows to have the latest info manual without
> overriding the built-in org-mode installation?

If infodir points to the correct location, then yes.  That's the whole
point of doing a proper installation.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-02 18:25 ` Miguel Ruiz
From: Miguel Ruiz @ 2014-07-02 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera, emacs-orgmode

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-02 20:29 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-07-02 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vicente Vera <vicentemvp@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello. I'm quite confused with the installation options.
>
> Recently started out a Debian base system and compiled Emacs from the
> bzr repository. That came out fine, so I ran 'make install' and now
> Emacs 24.4.50 sits in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, etc.
>
> I want to install the master branch of org-mode.

I have both emacs and org-mode from git. For emacs:
#+BEGIN_SRC shell
  git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
  make distclean
  ./configure
  make
#+END_SRC

You do not need the "make install", I leave the emacs files where I want
them on my home folder (also useful if I do not have root access in a
server), and create two symbolic links to emacs/lib-src/emacsclient and
emacs/src/emacs in ~/bin/

For org, I once read a discussion in this list about not doing this but
that a lot of people do it, it keeps working for me, so I keep doing it.
I clone the repository:

#+BEGIN_SRC shell
  git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
  make
#+END_SRC

Then I remove the directory emacs/lisp/org and create a direct link to
org-mode/lisp instead. Also I remove emacs/etc/org (or maybe this
doesn't cause conflicts?)

Also, since the git repository of org has the etc files in a different
location, emacs cannot find them; the following takes care of that:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (setq org-odt-data-dir "path_to_org-mode_git_directory/etc/")
#+END_SRC

Finally, this takes care of the documentation:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (eval-after-load 'info
    '(progn (info-initialize)
            (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list
                         "path_to_org-mode_git_directory/doc")))
#+END_SRC

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-02 20:31   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-02 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Miguel Ruiz writes:
> Minimal sequence for me is: make clean & git pull & make autoloads &
> make info

You can simplify this to a just "make" by defining your own default
target in local.mk like this:

my_default_target: up0 uncompiled info

(that's a tab after the colon).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-02 20:39   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-02 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:
> For org, I once read a discussion in this list about not doing this but
> that a lot of people do it, it keeps working for me, so I keep doing it.

It doesn't work, you just haven't run into a problem that you can
positively identify with that habit yet.  You'd need to re-build Emacs
each time you update Org if you wanted it to work.  There really is a
reason that all those files get installed, if you can't or don't want to
write to system-wide directories you are free to install them in your
home directory instead.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-02 21:17     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-07-02 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> It doesn't work, you just haven't run into a problem that you can
> positively identify with that habit yet.  You'd need to re-build Emacs
> each time you update Org if you wanted it to work.

Why? emacs/lisp points to org-mode/lisp, if I update org it updates in
its org-mode repo, what can I break?

> There really is a reason that all those files get installed, if you
> can't or don't want to write to system-wide directories you are free
> to install them in your home directory instead.

Do you mean the files that "make install" creates? Doesn't "make" alone
create all things necessary for org to work?

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-03  2:52 Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2014-07-03  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stromeko, emacs-orgmode

Thank you for your replies, I think i'm beginning to understand the
process. These are the changes I made to local.mk:

prefix  = /usr/local/share
datadir = /usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.50/etc/org (actually, this directory
belongs to the built-in Org installation)

Then:
$ make
$ sudo make install

And it worked fine. The info manual is now updated, so is everything else.

So, overall, the purpose of running 'make install' (or 'make up2', to also
pull from the Git repository) is to avoid overriding the default Org
installation that comes with Emacs?

Going through the variables in local.mk it seems this is the idea, except
maybe for 'infodir' which in my case points to the place where Emacs threw
all its info files (including Org).

To sum up, the process made the following changes on my system:
- Org lisp files from Git now reside in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
(which is in load-path by default). The original built-in Org lisp files
are untouched.
- M-x org-version shows the correct updated version and location.
- M-x info shows the updated info manual which now resides in
/usr/local/share/info (I think it replaced the built-in manual?).
- Org data files now reside in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.50/etc/org
(replacing the built-in files?).

No extra elisp code was needed (adding the cloned repository to load-path,
etc.).

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-03 16:40       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-03 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:
> Why? emacs/lisp points to org-mode/lisp, if I update org it updates in
> its org-mode repo, what can I break?

All the derivative files that were lifted out of this directory into
other places, like cus-load and loaddefs.  Again, Emacs doesn't treat
any of its built-in code like a package, it doesn't expect or support
those being removed or changed.

> Do you mean the files that "make install" creates? Doesn't "make" alone
> create all things necessary for org to work?

A "make install" proper also puts them into place where they are needed.
If you install someplace else you have to adapt your Emacs configuration
to match, but you're using your own Emacs anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Installing from git
@ 2014-07-03 16:46 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-07-03 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vicente Vera writes:
> - M-x info shows the updated info manual which now resides in
> /usr/local/share/info (I think it replaced the built-in manual?).

That depends on where your system installation put it originally.  But
even if it was originally installed someplace else, it would now find
the version in /usr/local.

> - Org data files now reside in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.50/etc/org
> (replacing the built-in files?).

You could have just kept the default, but this is not critical unless
you are planning to use multiple Emacs versions.

> No extra elisp code was needed (adding the cloned repository to
> load-path, etc.).

That's the main point of this install method.  But please do remember to
put a "(require 'org-loaddefs)" at the beginning of your init file.

Regards,
Achim.

* Installing from Git
@ 2015-05-14 13:04 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-05-14 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I wanted to upgrade Org, using the package manager, and it failed.
Being accustomed to the package manager failing (for whatever reason),
I deleted Org-mode and decided to go with the git version.  I did
a clone, then make, make doc and sudo make install, but M-x org-version
says its

Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/)

Shouldn't it be a bit higher?  Or maybe it's the Org bundled with Emacs?
(I'm on: GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8) of
2015-01-02.) What should I do to use the bleeding edge version?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Installing from Git
@ 2015-05-14 13:33 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-05-14 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-05-14, at 15:04, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> I wanted to upgrade Org, using the package manager, and it failed.
> Being accustomed to the package manager failing (for whatever reason),
> I deleted Org-mode and decided to go with the git version.  I did
> a clone, then make, make doc and sudo make install, but M-x org-version
> says its
>
> Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
> /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/)
>
> Shouldn't it be a bit higher?  Or maybe it's the Org bundled with Emacs?
> (I'm on: GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8) of
> 2015-01-02.) What should I do to use the bleeding edge version?

OK, so I'm a moron - I didn't add the directories to load-path.  But one
problem remains: the info manual is still taken from Emacs, not from the
newest Org.  This, however, I'll be able to sort out once I have spare
30 minutes.

Best,

--

@ 2015-05-14 13:43   ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-05-14 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski writes:

> But one problem remains: the info manual is still taken from
> Emacs, not from the newest Org.

Did you try to do 'make install-info'?

--
Jorge.

* Re: Installing from Git
@ 2015-05-15  0:35 Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2015-05-15  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mbork, emacs-orgmode

Hello. This is my Org-from-Git recipe:

After you've cloned the repository (master branch), run "make" and
then edit the "local.mk" file. There you'll find a variable named
"prefix"; change it according to your Emacs installation.

In my setup, Emacs files live in /usr/share/emacs/ so I leave "prefix"
unchanged. In a previous installation it was in
/usr/local/share/emacs/ so I wrote "prefix = /usr/local/share".

Only then run "make install". Now the Info manual will be correctly installed.

Also important, add this line to your init file:

(require 'org-loaddefs)

That should do it.