emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export
@ 2014-07-24  0:09 Thomas S. Dye
  2014-07-24  8:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-24  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

Recently, entities in org-entities-user haven't made it through LaTeX
export when they are in a caption.

This Org mode snippet:

  Test \umacron \ocirc \umacron \amacron.

  #+caption: Test \umacron \ocirc \umacron \amacron.

Yields this output:

  Test \={u} \^{o} \={u} \={a}.

  \caption{Test \umacron \^{o} \umacron \amacron.}

You can see that the org-entity (\ocirc) makes it through unscathed, but
that my user entities \umacron and \amacron don't.

All the best,
Tom

-- 
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813
Tel: 808-529-0866, Fax: 808-529-0884
http://www.tsdye.com

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export
  2014-07-24  0:09 Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export Thomas S. Dye
@ 2014-07-24  8:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2014-07-24 15:31   ` Thomas S. Dye
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-07-24  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Recently, entities in org-entities-user haven't made it through LaTeX
> export when they are in a caption.
>
> This Org mode snippet:
>
>   Test \umacron \ocirc \umacron \amacron.
>
>   #+caption: Test \umacron \ocirc \umacron \amacron.
>
> Yields this output:
>
>   Test \={u} \^{o} \={u} \={a}.
>
>   \caption{Test \umacron \^{o} \umacron \amacron.}
>
> You can see that the org-entity (\ocirc) makes it through unscathed, but
> that my user entities \umacron and \amacron don't.

I cannot reproduce it. Do you have an ECM? Are you setting
`org-entities-user' in a special way (i.e, not globally through `setq'
or customize)?


Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export
  2014-07-24  8:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2014-07-24 15:31   ` Thomas S. Dye
  2014-07-24 15:57     ` Nick Dokos
  2014-07-25 13:25     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> I cannot reproduce it. Do you have an ECM? Are you setting
> `org-entities-user' in a special way (i.e, not globally through `setq'
> or customize)?

In the process of putting together an ECM (which hopefully doesn't
reflect my setup!), I think I found what triggers it.

I'm setting variables buffer local as a way to make reproducible
research documents self-contained.  The line that sets org-entities-user
nil is the culprit.  Without it, I get the output I expect.  With it, I
get the behavior I described.

Here is my try at an ECM:

#+STARTUP: entitiespretty

\amacron \ocirc

#+caption: \amacron \ocirc
| a | b |
| c | d |

** User Entities                                                   :noexport:
The following source code block sets up user entities that are used frequently
in my work. I use the various =.*macron= commands to typeset Hawaiian
language words with what is known in Hawaiian as a /kahak\omacron{}/.

#+name: user-entities-local
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("amacron" "\\={a}" nil "&#0257" "a" "a" "ā"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("emacron" "\\={e}" nil "&#0275" "e" "e" "ē"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("imacron" "\\={\\i}" nil "&#0299" "i" "i" "ī"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("omacron" "\\={o}" nil "&#0333" "o" "o" "ō"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("umacron" "\\={u}" nil "&#0363" "u" "u" "ū"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Amacron" "\\={A}" nil "&#0256" "A" "A" "Ā"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Emacron" "\\={E}" nil "&#0274" "E" "E" "Ē"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Imacron" "\\={I}" nil "&#0298" "I" "I" "Ī"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Omacron" "\\={O}" nil "&#0332" "O" "O" "Ō"))
  (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Umacron" "\\={U}" nil "&#0362" "U" "U" "Ū"))
#+end_src


** Local variables                                                 :noexport:

# Local Variables: 
# eval: (require 'ox-latex)
# eval: (and (fboundp 'org-sbe) (not (fboundp 'sbe)) (fset 'sbe 'org-sbe))
# org-entities-user: nil
# eval: (sbe "user-entities-local")
# End:





-- 
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813
Tel: 808-529-0866, Fax: 808-529-0884
http://www.tsdye.com

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export
  2014-07-24 15:31   ` Thomas S. Dye
@ 2014-07-24 15:57     ` Nick Dokos
  2014-07-24 16:32       ` Thomas S. Dye
  2014-07-25 13:25     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-24 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> I cannot reproduce it. Do you have an ECM? Are you setting
>> `org-entities-user' in a special way (i.e, not globally through `setq'
>> or customize)?
>
> In the process of putting together an ECM (which hopefully doesn't
> reflect my setup!), I think I found what triggers it.
>
> I'm setting variables buffer local as a way to make reproducible
> research documents self-contained.  The line that sets org-entities-user
> nil is the culprit.  Without it, I get the output I expect.  With it, I
> get the behavior I described.
>
> Here is my try at an ECM:
>
> #+STARTUP: entitiespretty
>
> \amacron \ocirc
>
> #+caption: \amacron \ocirc
> | a | b |
> | c | d |
>
> ** User Entities                                                   :noexport:
> The following source code block sets up user entities that are used frequently
> in my work. I use the various =.*macron= commands to typeset Hawaiian
> language words with what is known in Hawaiian as a /kahak\omacron{}/.
>
> #+name: user-entities-local
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("amacron" "\\={a}" nil "&#0257" "a" "a" "ā"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("emacron" "\\={e}" nil "&#0275" "e" "e" "ē"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("imacron" "\\={\\i}" nil "&#0299" "i" "i" "ī"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("omacron" "\\={o}" nil "&#0333" "o" "o" "ō"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("umacron" "\\={u}" nil "&#0363" "u" "u" "ū"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Amacron" "\\={A}" nil "&#0256" "A" "A" "Ā"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Emacron" "\\={E}" nil "&#0274" "E" "E" "Ē"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Imacron" "\\={I}" nil "&#0298" "I" "I" "Ī"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Omacron" "\\={O}" nil "&#0332" "O" "O" "Ō"))
>   (add-to-list 'org-entities-user '("Umacron" "\\={U}" nil "&#0362" "U" "U" "Ū"))
> #+end_src
>
>
> ** Local variables                                                 :noexport:
>
> # Local Variables: 
> # eval: (require 'ox-latex)
> # eval: (and (fboundp 'org-sbe) (not (fboundp 'sbe)) (fset 'sbe 'org-sbe))
> # org-entities-user: nil
> # eval: (sbe "user-entities-local")
> # End:

It might be an order-of-evaluation problem.  What happens if you set
org-entities-user to nil first thing in the code block rather than in
the local variables?

Nick

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export
  2014-07-24 15:57     ` Nick Dokos
@ 2014-07-24 16:32       ` Thomas S. Dye
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-24 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>> # Local Variables: 
>> # eval: (require 'ox-latex)
>> # eval: (and (fboundp 'org-sbe) (not (fboundp 'sbe)) (fset 'sbe 'org-sbe))
>> # org-entities-user: nil
>> # eval: (sbe "user-entities-local")
>> # End:
>
> It might be an order-of-evaluation problem.  What happens if you set
> org-entities-user to nil first thing in the code block rather than in
> the local variables?

Yes, as I mentioned, removing the org-entities-user: nil line from the
Local Variables section gets rid of the problem.  

Once that line is gone, I get expected results with and without (setq
org-entities-user nil) in the source code block.

The curious thing (to me) is that the problem is restricted to
captions.  The user entities work fine outside of captions regardless of
the org-entities-user: nil line in Local Variables.

hth,
Tom

-- 
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export
  2014-07-24 15:31   ` Thomas S. Dye
  2014-07-24 15:57     ` Nick Dokos
@ 2014-07-25 13:25     ` Nicolas Goaziou
  2014-07-25 16:06       ` Thomas S. Dye
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-07-25 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> I cannot reproduce it. Do you have an ECM? Are you setting
>> `org-entities-user' in a special way (i.e, not globally through `setq'
>> or customize)?
>
> In the process of putting together an ECM (which hopefully doesn't
> reflect my setup!), I think I found what triggers it.
>
> I'm setting variables buffer local as a way to make reproducible
> research documents self-contained.  The line that sets org-entities-user
> nil is the culprit.  Without it, I get the output I expect.  With it, I
> get the behavior I described.
>
> Here is my try at an ECM:

[...]

This should be fixed. Thank you for reporting it.


Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export
  2014-07-25 13:25     ` Nicolas Goaziou
@ 2014-07-25 16:06       ` Thomas S. Dye
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-07-25 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

>> I'm setting variables buffer local as a way to make reproducible
>> research documents self-contained.  The line that sets org-entities-user
>> nil is the culprit.  Without it, I get the output I expect.  With it, I
>> get the behavior I described.
>>
>> Here is my try at an ECM:
>
> [...]
>
> This should be fixed. Thank you for reporting it.

Yes, it works here.  Thanks for looking into this.

All the best,
Tom

-- 
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2014-07-25 16:06 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2014-07-24  0:09 Org-entities-user in caption of Latex export Thomas S. Dye
2014-07-24  8:03 ` Nicolas Goaziou
2014-07-24 15:31   ` Thomas S. Dye
2014-07-24 15:57     ` Nick Dokos
2014-07-24 16:32       ` Thomas S. Dye
2014-07-25 13:25     ` Nicolas Goaziou
2014-07-25 16:06       ` Thomas S. Dye

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).