* Tracking Current Org Version
@ 2014-08-08 15:39 Kenneth Jacker
From: Kenneth Jacker @ 2014-08-08 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Good day!

I am using 'git' to (I hope!) keep up to date on the latest Org distribution.

For me, there is a little confusion on just which version I'm using ...

I changed to the org-mode "git managed" directory, and entered:

        $ make update

        { Do I need to do more?  I followed the above with
          "make" and "make install" ... necessary? }

After performing the above yesterday and then checking with "M-x org-version" shows:

   Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-175-g59cd25

Is that the latest?  No date is included ...

In addition, I receive announcements from <elpa.gnu.org> that shows things like:

   Latest: org-20140804.tar, 2014-Aug-04, 5.21MB

How does *that* differ/compare to what 'git' is downloading?

What is the "best" way to do this?  ;-)

Thanks for your comments,

--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker (ret)   khj@cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept         www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

* Re: Tracking Current Org Version
@ 2014-08-09  6:08 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-08-09  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> wrote:

> What is the "best" way to do this?  ;-)

This should help you

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current

--
Suvayu

* Re: Tracking Current Org Version
@ 2014-08-09 14:25   ` Kenneth Jacker
From: Kenneth Jacker @ 2014-08-09 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Suvayu, for your quick response!

  sa> This should help you
  sa>
  sa>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current

Yes, I've seen that ... in fact, have it "bookmarked" already ... the
procedure therein explained is what I've been doing.

But I'm still unclear about "versions" ...

How do I find the "commit" that corresponds to the "org-version"
variable value?

And what about the ELPA 'tar' files?  How do they relate to the 'git' repo?

Just wanting to understand what I'm doing,  ;-)

Thanks again,

-Kenneth

* Re: Tracking Current Org Version
@ 2014-08-09 14:54 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-09 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kenneth Jacker writes:
> For me, there is a little confusion on just which version I'm using ...
>
> I changed to the org-mode "git managed" directory, and entered:
>
>         $ make update
>
>         { Do I need to do more?  I followed the above with
>           "make" and "make install" ... necessary? }

Well, if you do that, then "make up2" is what you really want.  It does
the above plus it doesn't install if the tests fail, so you aren't hosed
if you happen to build at a time where Org is broken.

> After performing the above yesterday and then checking with "M-x org-version" shows:
>
>    Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-175-g59cd25
>
> Is that the latest?  No date is included ...

Nor is there any need for that.  The version string tells you that the
most recently "tagged" release version is 8.3beta, there have been 175
commits since then and the commit you're on has an SHA1 starting with
59cd25 (i.e. 'git show 59cd25' will let you look at that commit and 'git
log 59cd25' shows the changes from that point backward).

> In addition, I receive announcements from <elpa.gnu.org> that shows things like:
>
>    Latest: org-20140804.tar, 2014-Aug-04, 5.21MB
>
> How does *that* differ/compare to what 'git' is downloading?

ELPA is fed by the "maint" branch, not master.  In a nutshell, between
releases maint only gets bugfixes, while master can remove, change or
add features at any time.  If you are using master, you should be
following the mailing list at least (and know how to install a different
version than the last one for the few times where one of those changes
on master may impact you).

> What is the "best" way to do this?  ;-)

Whatever you prefer.

Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Tracking Current Org Version
@ 2014-08-09 15:38     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-08-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: khj; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 10:25:05AM -0400, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> Thanks, Suvayu, for your quick response!
>
>   sa> This should help you
>   sa>
>   sa>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current
>
> Yes, I've seen that ... in fact, have it "bookmarked" already ... the
> procedure therein explained is what I've been doing.
>
> But I'm still unclear about "versions" ...
>
> How do I find the "commit" that corresponds to the "org-version"
> variable value?

The version string is derived from whatever `git describe' returns (the
release_* part).  To understand the string look at the man page for
git-describe.

Look at Achim's reponse about your ELPA tarball question.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu