* line numbers in a code block?
@ 2014-09-27 13:21 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-09-27 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Does anyone know a way to get dedicate line numbers in an org code
block?

I know how to get buffer code lines, but when we run a code block and
there is an error, the error line number is relative to line 1 of the
code block. Currently, we type C-c ' to get a code buffer, and navigate
to the line. I would like to see code block numbers on the right hand
side of the buffer, and only inside the code block. Any ideas?

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: line numbers in a code block?
@ 2014-09-27 15:57 ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-09-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin <at> andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Does anyone know a way to get dedicate line numbers in an org code
> block?
>
> I know how to get buffer code lines, but when we run a code block and
> there is an error, the error line number is relative to line 1 of the
> code block. Currently, we type C-c ' to get a code buffer, and navigate
> to the line. I would like to see code block numbers on the right hand
> side of the buffer, and only inside the code block. Any ideas?

You mean like

   (org-add-hook 'org-src-mode-hook 'linum-mode)

only with line numbers on the right side? (linum puts them on the left)

Or did you mean in the org-mode buffer itself?

Maybe (just a guess) hack `linum-update-window' to reset `line' to 0
whenever `(forward-line))'gives you a line that matches `#+begin_src'.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: line numbers in a code block?
@ 2014-09-27 20:37   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-09-27 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> John Kitchin <jkitchin <at> andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>

>> Does anyone know a way to get dedicate line numbers in an org code
>> block?
>>
>> I know how to get buffer code lines, but when we run a code block and
>> there is an error, the error line number is relative to line 1 of the
>> code block. Currently, we type C-c ' to get a code buffer, and navigate
>> to the line. I would like to see code block numbers on the right hand
>> side of the buffer, and only inside the code block. Any ideas?
>
> You mean like
>
>    (org-add-hook 'org-src-mode-hook 'linum-mode)

No, that is not quite what I need. We already have those line numbers on
the left. I wanted a new set of numbers, only in the src-block, and on
the right so they do not get mixed up with the linum-mode numbers. This
is to avoid having to go into the org-src-mode at all.

> only with line numbers on the right side? (linum puts them on the left)
>
> Or did you mean in the org-mode buffer itself?
>
> Maybe (just a guess) hack `linum-update-window' to reset `line' to 0
> whenever `(forward-line))'gives you a line that matches `#+begin_src'.

I suppose it would involve creating new overlays the way that linum-mode
does.

--
-----------------------------------
John Kitchin

@ 2014-09-27 20:40 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-09-27 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I came up with a reasonable solution to this that I think is pretty
nice. It doesn't put linenumbers on the src block, but it does something
even better!

The gist is to write the block to a temporary file, then run pyflakes,
pep8 and pylint on it. The output of those goes into a temporary
org-buffer, with links back to the positions in the code block where the
errors are!

The code is laid out here:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/09/27/Improved-debugging-of-Python-code-blocks-in-org-mode/

I am going to try it out with my students next week!

--