* Requesting some help with scheduled repeated tasks
@ 2015-01-26 13:13 Sagar Shankar
From: Sagar Shankar @ 2015-01-26 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all, been using Org-Mode for just over a month now and have stumbled
into something that I cannot still figure out how to implement.

I want to set aside a fixed amount of time each day (say 2 hours) at a
specific time(18-00-20:00 say) to work on a specific task. I want this task
to repeat for 7 days and for state changes (from TODO to DONE) to be
tracked for those 7 days. The latter while ideal, is also optional, as in a
base case, I'd be happy to just get the task automatically marked TODO 7
times in my Agenda till the 7 days are over.

Right now, I've tried using the following syntax:

** TODO Work on XYZ
   SCHEDULED: <2015-01-21 Wed 20:30-21:30>-- <2015-01-28 Wed 20:30-21:30>

When I mark this as complete for today, all the other occurrences are also
marked as DONE, which I do not want. Another confusing factor is that
instead of counting 7 occurrences of this task, Org counts it as 8 (which
is another thing I'd love to get explained)

I know tracking repeated tasks is best suited for Org-Habits but I cannot
find anywhere in the documentation for that module, a parameter that allows
me to track habits for only 7 times or 8 times say, and for that habit to
be inserted into the agenda at a specific time only.

Would really appreciate some advice!

Thanks for your time,
Sagar

* Re: Requesting some help with scheduled repeated tasks
@ 2015-01-26 13:19 ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2015-01-26 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sagar Shankar; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Sagar,

I think you either want a repeating task see
http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html

or to use org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift see
http://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-editing.html#Structure-editing

I think repeated tasks repeat for ever, so from your description
org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift might be better.

I hope that helps,
Chris.

@ 2015-01-26 15:59 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2015-01-26 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sagar Shankar <sagar@scubed.in> writes:

> Hi all, been using Org-Mode for just over a month now and have stumbled into
> something that I cannot still figure out how to implement.
>
> I want to set aside a fixed amount of time each day (say 2 hours) at a specific
> time(18-00-20:00 say) to work on a specific task. I want this task to repeat for
> 7 days and for state changes (from TODO to DONE) to be tracked for those 7 days.
> The latter while ideal, is also optional, as in a base case, I'd be happy to
> just get the task automatically marked TODO 7 times in my Agenda till the 7 days
> are over.
>
> Right now, I've tried using the following syntax:
>
> ** TODO Work on XYZ
> SCHEDULED: <2015-01-21 Wed 20:30-21:30>-- <2015-01-28 Wed 20:30-21:30>
>
> When I mark this as complete for today, all the other occurrences are also
> marked as DONE, which I do not want. Another confusing factor is that instead of
> counting 7 occurrences of this task, Org counts it as 8 (which is another thing
> I'd love to get explained)

Wednesday to Wednesday is 8 days.  I guess you really want Wednesday to
Tuesday.

I would set up 7 separate tasks, by creating the first and then using

C-c C-x c

to make 6 clones of the task shifted by a day.

Cheers,

Loris

@ 2015-01-27  5:56   ` Sagar Shankar
From: Sagar Shankar @ 2015-01-27  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Witte; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks Christopher, the latter option seems to accomplish what I require
though not very elegant

With Regards,
Sagar

@ 2015-01-27  6:09     ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-27  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sagar,

Sagar Shankar <sagar@scubed.in> writes:
> Thanks Christopher, the latter option seems to accomplish what I
> require though not very elegant

I though so first, too.  But by now I came to like that approach a lot.
It provides so much flexibility with the individual instances (like
moving, keeping notes, cancellation, etc.).

Give it some time and maybe you'll like it in the end ;-)

Regards,
Andreas

@ 2015-01-27 10:25     ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2015-01-27 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)