From: phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk (Phillip Lord)
To: Leo Ufimtsev <lufimtse@redhat.com>
Cc: Org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Melpa and Marmalade, can they co-exist well?
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 18:00:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Leo Ufimtsev <lufimtse@redhat.com> writes:

> In post below [*1] there is a comparison between Melpa/Marmalade and other repos.
>
> I added both to my list:
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/") t)
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/"))
>
> Now I wonder, I get two sets of packages. Now I wonder what to pick.
> - Would melpa generally be newer than Marmalade?

Because of the way the version numbers work out, melpa packages will
always appear to be newer than marmalade. So where these two overlap,
you will always get the melpa version.

> - Is it ok to have some packages from melpa and some from marmalade?

Yes, in general.

> Does anyone have experience having both repos?
>
> Thank you
>
> On the side, there is a related post:
> http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/2969/is-it-possible-to-use-both-melpa-and-melpa-stable-at-the-same-time

In more recent versions (24.4) of package.el you can pin particular packages to
particular repos. So you could load all your packages from MELPA-stable
and just take one from MELPA.

"package-pinned-packages" does the work here. In the scenario above, you
need to pin ALL of the packages in to melpa-stable except for the one in
MELPA. I wish they changed MELPA version numbers to all be very low
versions but that's how it is at the moment.

Phil