From: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
To: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
Cc: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Displaying deadline datestamp in todo agenda list?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 12:56:05 -0500	[thread overview]

Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:

> I'm using the DEADLINE keyword with TODO entries, and I'd like
> the DEADLINE date to be displayed as a datestamp next to each
> TODO item, when I list deadlined todo items. In other words, I
> don't want to have to duplicate the DEADLINE timestamp as a
> timestamp on the TODO line itself in my Org Mode file -- since
> the timestamp is already present as the value of the DEADLINE
> keyword, can't Org Mode just use it?
>
> Assume I have these Org Mode entries:
>
>   * STARTED Org Mode scheduling test KIWI.
>     DEADLINE: <2016-05-23>
>
>   * TODO Org Mode scheduling test MELON.
>     DEADLINE: <2016-05-25>
>
>   * STARTED Org Mode scheduling test LIME.
>     DEADLINE: <2016-05-24>
>
>   * STARTED Org Mode scheduling test TARDIGRADE.
>     SCHEDULED: <2016-05-23> DEADLINE: <2016-06-16>
>
> And I have this custom code to bind "d" to show just the TODO
> items that have deadlines, in my `org-agenda' keymap:
>
>   (defun ots-org-entry-skip-non-deadline ()
>     "Return non-nil iff this org entry does not have the
>     DEADLINE keyword."  (if (not (org-entry-get (point)
>     "DEADLINE"))
>         (progn (outline-next-heading) (1- (point)))))
>    (defvar ots-org-agenda-custom-commands-updated-p nil
>     "If non-nil, we've already updated
>     `org-agenda-custom-commands',
>   so don't do it again.")   ;; TBD: Oh, could use
>   `org-add-agenda-custom-command' to do this.  (unless
>   ots-org-agenda-custom-commands-updated-p
>     (unless (boundp 'org-agenda-custom-commands)
>       (setq org-agenda-custom-commands ()))
>     (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>           (cons '("d" "Deadlines and scheduled work" alltodo ""
>                   ((org-agenda-skip-function
>                   'ots-org-entry-skip-non-deadline)
>                    ;; Add code here to control deadline date
>                    display?  (org-agenda-prefix-format '((agenda
>                    . " %i %-12:c%?-12t% s")
>                                                (timeline . "  %
>                                                s") (todo . " %i
>                                                %-12:c %s") (tags
>                                                . " %i %-12:c")
>                                                (search . " %i
>                                                %-12:c")))
>                    (org-agenda-sorting-strategy
>                    '(deadline-up))))
>                 org-agenda-custom-commands))
>     (setq ots-org-agenda-custom-commands-updated-p t))

Hi Karl,

Here's a working implementation, using
org-agenda-add-custom-command and the built-in mechanism for
skipping non-deadline entries (you can get rid of
ots-org-entry-skip-non-deadline). I also added some justification
(the -22) to accommodate my rather long timestamp strings. Adjust
as needed:

(org-add-agenda-custom-command
 '("d" "Deadlines and scheduled work" alltodo ""
         ((org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if
         'notdeadline))
          (org-agenda-prefix-format '((todo . " %i
          %-22(org-entry-get nil \"DEADLINE\") %-12:c %s")))
          (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(deadline-up)))))

Matt