* Scheduling and calendar-day-of-week
@ 2018-04-06  7:46 Cecil Westerhof
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-04-06  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

There is something I want to do on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So I tried:
*** TODO Monday, Wednesday and Friday
    SCHEDULED: <%%(memq (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 3 5))>

This seems to work: I see the activity on the correct days.
But then I changed today's entry to DONE. But then all are gone in my
agenda view.
What I want is for today's item to be 'gone' and the future ones still
displayed as TODO. Is that possible?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Scheduling and calendar-day-of-week
@ 2018-04-06  8:23 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2018-04-06  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Scheduling and calendar-day-of-week
@ 2018-04-06 14:16 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2018-04-06 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> There is something I want to do on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So I tried:
> *** TODO Monday, Wednesday and Friday
>     SCHEDULED: <%%(memq (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 3 5))>
>
> This seems to work: I see the activity on the correct days.
> But then I changed today's entry to DONE. But then all are gone in my agenda view.
> What I want is for today's item to be 'gone' and the future ones still displayed as TODO. Is that possible?
>
> --
> Cecil Westerhof

My impression is that calendar sexp entries don't play well with the
rest of org-mode: most of the code does not understand them, so you
end up with situations like the above.

IMO, you are better off creating separate entries for MWF. You might
want to look into `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift' to create them
efficiently.

--
Nick

* Re: Scheduling and calendar-day-of-week
@ 2018-04-06 16:46   ` Brian Shine
From: Brian Shine @ 2018-04-06 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Brian Shine

An alternative, which isn’t as neat as you would like, would be to set up the 3 days as separate events, with 7-day repeats.

Best wishes,
Brian

@ 2018-04-06 17:13     ` Brian Shine
From: Brian Shine @ 2018-04-06 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Brian Shine

Sorry!  I see that is exactly what you said.

Best wishes,
Brian

@ 2018-04-06 19:52 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2018-04-06 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> There is something I want to do on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So I tried:
> *** TODO Monday, Wednesday and Friday
>     SCHEDULED: <%%(memq (calendar-day-of-week date) '(1 3 5))>
>
> This seems to work: I see the activity on the correct days.
> But then I changed today's entry to DONE. But then all are gone in my
> agenda view.
> What I want is for today's item to be 'gone' and the future ones still
> displayed as TODO. Is that possible?

Use of diary sexp entries is limited and this may not work. You may be
better off using org built in support for repeated scheduled/deadline
tasks.

The other thing to note is that you need to use a different command when
marking a repeating item as done. The manual has the following -

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
   To mark a task with a repeater as ‘DONE’, use ‘C-- 1 C-c C-t’ (i.e.,
‘org-todo’ with a numeric prefix argument of -1.)

   A timestamp(2) will be added under the deadline, to keep a record
that you actually acted on the previous instance of this deadline.

   As a consequence of shifting the base date, this entry will no longer
be visible in the agenda when checking past dates, but all future
instances will be visible.
#+END_QUOTE

--
Tim Cross